i3-10100 idle power is stupid low haha

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Here is a pic of my I3-10100 with IGP, not the F sku.

Here is idle.

System is 8GB 3200 cas 16
Chip and itx board
No discreet GPU, using IGP @ 144hz for smooth 2d windows usage

This is my Amateur Radio dedicated PC I use to interface my software defined radios as well as my LogBook software

Super low power build and its blazing fast for the price I paid at Microcenter. 20210408_150801.jpg

Here is a pic of my I3-10100 with IGP, not the F sku.

Here is idle.

System is 8GB 3200 cas 16
Chip and itx board
No discreet GPU, using IGP @ 144hz for smooth 2d windows usage

This is my Amateur Radio dedicated PC I use to interface my software defined radios as well as my LogBook software

Super low power build and its blazing fast for the price I paid at Microcenter.View attachment 346346
I recently upgraded my HTPC from an i3-4130T/Q87 build to an i3-10100/B560 build. Using the same GTX 1050 Ti, my idle power usage is only a few watts higher than yours, video streaming is barely above idle power usage, and it games very well at 1080p on less than 100W. I wanted a Ryzen 3 3300x for quite a while because I had a spare B450 motherboard, but they were never in stock. A friend of mine stopped by MicroCenter on his way to visit and was kind enough to pick up the CPU/motherboard combo for me.

I just swapped the power supply from an EVGA 650 BQ to an EVGA SuperNova 550 GA this morning and snapped some pics of the Kill-A-Watt with the new PSU.

Idle:
IMG_0764.JPG

Running the Unigine Heaven Benchmark on a loop:
IMG_0766.JPG

I get about 35w idle with my i3 10100 system using igp on a h470 microatx board with 2 sata ssd and 1 3.5 drive and 2x8gb of ddr4 ram. I bought mine last June and had to wait until I saw the price at Amazon hit MSRP at 122. This was all after trying amd 3200g system that had problems with sleep and keeping bios settings. I'm happy that the amd system didn't work out.

I'm getting one of those watts measuring gizmos soon, but my system won't go that low, got too much crap in it.

CPU power though................16w idle, jumps to 243w full load 8 cores @ 5.2GHz though.

*Hotdamn!!! It's 80 degrees outside, my room is 79 degrees, it's hot!! I hate this weather, I turn oN the AC, and tonight we get permafrost weather. S.O.B.!!!
When I first received the Kill A Watt, I went around the house plugging everything in and seeing exactly how much power it was drawing. They're great for scratching the curiosity itch with more than just computer equipment.

I haven't had an Intel build newer than the Haswell era prior to this one. It is impressive that they idle down as low as they do with this generation. I suppose it is a combination of the maturity of the process at this point and the emphasis on efficiency at the lower power levels. Unfortunately, the curve doesn't favor them at the higher power levels.

There have been plenty of times where I've had the heat on to defrost the windows in the morning on the drive in to the office only to have to put the AC on in the afternoon because the drive home was stifling. It's the price we pay for living somewhere that's not below freezing more than it's above freezing or always so hot your shoes will melt on the sidewalks.

Back