I ordered my pc parts... most stuff here but motherboard delayed until next week... i7-12700K ..etc do I need anti bending plate thing?

atarione

2[H]4U
Mostly due to the fact my wife's computer (my old i7-4770K ) is on the fritz / way out ...reboots / crashes and generally is annoying me because I have to go mess with it when it crashes.. I ordered parts to upgrade my current pc ryzen 5 3600 / B550 Aorus Elite /16GB...1TB NVMe drive ..etc so that my wife will thus get the 3600 which actually works which will be super (she also is getting my RX580). I also ordered because I had $500~ in amazon gift cards somehow?

I ordered i7-12700K /GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS Elite AX / 32GB Corsair DDR5 5600 / 1TB Samsung 980 gen 4 NVMe drive and I had 2~months ago bought a FE RTX3070 from bestbuy... Annoyingly almost everything game yesterday (besides video card which i have had) except the Peerless Assassin 120 it is coming today I guess... However to my annoyance the motherboard is delayed until next week... oh well.

I think the 12700K should be a pretty good improvement on my 3600 ? I decided to go for alder lake because I was tired of waiting and I didn't want to run afoul of any new platform teething issues on AM5 w/ Ryzen 7000 ??

On question I have seen some people using / talking about aftermarket "anti bending" plates on LGA1700 how big of a deal is this actually and should I just order one? / does it (?? maybe ...probably??) void the motherboard warranty if you take the stock retention mount off and use these things? also this thermalright one is about $13 but there is apparently a thermal grizzly on that is is $70~ on amazon??? ummmm... is the TG one super better and if so how? or should I just save $13 and not worry about it?

1662063016896.png

ok awesome... since I have a week before amazon can deliver my motherboard I will order one of these today... so it will *hopefully be here when the motherboard arrives.

I use the cheaper Thermalright plates and haven't had an issue. The Thermal Grizzly plates are way too expensive for what they are IMO.

ok awesome... since I have a week before amazon can deliver my motherboard I will order one of these today... so it will *hopefully be here when the motherboard arrives.
I say buy what you want.

Here is a tip though. New CPU's are being release this month and with AMD release you will get 5 years support.

after building 2 12900 systems and seeing the paste pattern, id say that its prob a good idea, they do look "bent". since they will eventually end up in a school i had to leave the mobo stock, so couldnt.

I have my 12700k under water and it runs generally around 50c under full load. I did buy one of the $11 plates from Walmart. Should be here next week. Screw paying those high prices for a straight piece of machined aluminium.

I have a will call for the TG Contact Frame and Lapping Tool that should be here in the next week or two for my i9-12900KS. ;)

I say buy what you want.

Here is a tip though. New CPU's are being release this month and with AMD release you will get 5 years support.
yeah... I know I have been waiting on this (due to my wife's computer being unreliable) for a few months... and since she works from home sometimes her computer not being super stable has become a problem.. Generally at my house computers go to me and then migrate to her when I upgrade... my understanding is Raptor Lake should be able to be dropped into my Z690 motherboard down the road if I wanted?? I am also wary of teething issues with AM5 as it comes out to market? but basically I needed this ~now ....
I have my 12700k under water and it runs generally around 50c under full load. I did buy one of the $11 plates from Walmart. Should be here next week. Screw paying those high prices for a straight piece of machined aluminium.
nice... temps.. hopefully mine will be good as well... will find out next week I guess.

You pay for the handcrafted German work!
I absolutely might have coughed up $35 for the german made one... except I couldn't find it for $35 I only found it on amazon for twice that @$70 which was too much

This is now here and ready when motherboard arrives.
1662232974510.png

yeah... I know I have been waiting on this (due to my wife's computer being unreliable) for a few months... and since she works from home sometimes her computer not being super stable has become a problem.. Generally at my house computers go to me and then migrate to her when I upgrade... my understanding is Raptor Lake should be able to be dropped into my Z690 motherboard down the road if I wanted?? I am also wary of teething issues with AM5 as it comes out to market? but basically I needed this ~now ....
I run 12900K for my PC Gaming rig and it is fine for what I do PC Gaming.

Anyway good luck in getting all the parts working,not so sure myself if I would have bought a retaining bracket for the LGA 1700 ,glad to read that buying an extra part is not a teething problem on Intel for you ,that was attempt at humor.

omg... cursed build?? posted about this in the motherboard section... but amazon delivered my (new) not refurb/open box..etc motherboard yesterday..... I had to take it and the packaging out side immediately as the package and motherboard box reek of perfume~ish smell and triggered my allergies as well..... I don`t know what the heck happened if something leaked around the box (no obvious liquid damage to the mb box) or if some amazon warehouse worked baths in some sort of perfume before coming to work and handling customer orders / packages?? whatever... I`m sending this back to amazon... I do not know if the mb itself has the smell upon it? I didn`t open the plastic bag... but I can`t have this box in my house and generally I like to store anything accessories /etc I`m not using for the motherboard in it`s box so I can find it later if I need to.

For now I'm building with a 12600K will upgrade eventually, Thinking I best go ahead and do this now and be done with it.
Ordered the Thermalright.

It pays to peruse the postings in preparation of a new build!

I recently ran across those aftermarket retention plates - recently put together a 12600K build.

I had over heating issues due to heatsink contact as well. I know it was mainly caused by the poor pressure my Cooler Master AIO delivered. However I also read the heat-spreader flexing was an issue with LGA1700 and one of the fixes people were doing was adding a small vinyl washers under the stock retaining plate to alleviate some of the pressure the bracket put on the cpu locking it in. I went ahead and installed some washers and swapped my AIO for a Noctua NH-D15 and my temps are night and day different. I haven't tried overclocking yet, but under full load with the Noctua I'm in the 80's. Gaming usually maxes right around 71 Celsius - I was maxing out near 100 prior as well. It's substantially better considering I was maxed (100 degrees Celsius) and throttling just as soon as I ran cpu stress test before.

I am now considering one of these aftermarket brackets... But I'm also content where I'm at right now.

Maybe someone here can correct me, but it seems like there's a multitude of issues with this particular platform causing heat issues. LTT has a video up showing how shitty the cpu heatspreader was applied. Off center and not great at dissipating heat itself - they de-lid it and install a copper heat spreader that lowers temps quite a bit. I've read that Intel slightly lowered the height the cpu sits on the motherboard as well. Which I've read has an impact on the pressure these coolers are having making correct contact which I don't doubt caused some of my issues with the Cooler Master. (Granted they should have adjusted the standoffs correctly....) And finally the cpu heat spreader being warped affecting heatsink contact. Seems pretty half-assed at best to me.

I too came from a 4770K platform, although I wasn't having the issues. Was just ready to upgrade after 8 years. The 4770K platform is retaining my favorite platform because of these issues. Not to say I don't love the 12600K... But the 4770K was so much easier. Super easy to overclock, ran very cool without these issues and was a substantial upgrade imo, like this one from my previous build.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I recently ran across those aftermarket retention plates - recently put together a 12600K build.

I had over heating issues due to heatsink contact as well. I know it was mainly caused by the poor pressure my Cooler Master AIO delivered. However I also read the heat-spreader flexing was an issue with LGA1700 and one of the fixes people were doing was adding a small vinyl washers under the stock retaining plate to alleviate some of the pressure the bracket put on the cpu locking it in. I went ahead and installed some washers and swapped my AIO for a Noctua NH-D15 and my temps are night and day different. I haven't tried overclocking yet, but under full load with the Noctua I'm in the 80's. Gaming usually maxes right around 71 Celsius - I was maxing out near 100 prior as well. It's substantially better considering I was maxed (100 degrees Celsius) and throttling just as soon as I ran cpu stress test before.

I am now considering one of these aftermarket brackets... But I'm also content where I'm at right now.

Maybe someone here can correct me, but it seems like there's a multitude of issues with this particular platform causing heat issues. LTT has a video up showing how shitty the cpu heatspreader was applied. Off center and not great at dissipating heat itself - they de-lid it and install a copper heat spreader that lowers temps quite a bit. I've read that Intel slightly lowered the height the cpu sits on the motherboard as well. Which I've read has an impact on the pressure these coolers are having making correct contact which I don't doubt caused some of my issues with the Cooler Master. (Granted they should have adjusted the standoffs correctly....) And finally the cpu heat spreader being warped affecting heatsink contact. Seems pretty half-assed at best to me.

I too came from a 4770K platform, although I wasn't having the issues. Was just ready to upgrade after 8 years. The 4770K platform is retaining my favorite platform because of these issues. Not to say I don't love the 12600K... But the 4770K was so much easier. Super easy to overclock, ran very cool without these issues and was a substantial upgrade imo, like this one from my previous build.

Your temp results with the Noctua NH-D15 w/ the 12600K are very similar to my results with the 12700K and a Peerless Assassin 120.. I may mess about with undervolting and see how that goes?
cinebenchR23.jpghwmonitor.jpg 1664475712509.png

Intel's IHS have been concave for a long time.

Its possible/likely that the copper plate on your Coolermaster AIO was not very flat. Whereas a Noctua cooler should have good flatness.

However, it also sounds like maybe you didn't have the LGA1700 mounting kit for your AIO?-----Yes, they changed the Z height of the 12th gen CPUs. And you need updated mounting hardware. Noctua is the only brand which was including mounting hardware in several products, a couple of months before launch of 12th gen. Additonally, I have held Coolermaster's LGA 1700 backplate in my hand and it is----a VERY flimsy piece of plastic.

Its likely that much of your benefit came from a flatter heatsink contact and better quality mounting hardware.

The washer mods seem to be YMMV, based on the board, and probably specifics about how different heatsinks/AIO's mount. Whereas the plates seem to be more consistent in delivering some results.

Back