I microwaved a R9 390X gaming and now my pc won't run after 3rd time

This thread is amazing.

At best you shorted out traces/components in the pcb on the GPU, when you microved it (LOFL), which caused additional shorting in the pcie slot damaging the motherboard when you jammed GPU in there and turned it on.

Luckily new GPUs are easier to come by then common sense.

At worst this is an epic troll thread.

Is the PS cycling or is the power being turned off and on manually? Seasonic Power Supplies don't run their fans all the time, only when they reach certainTDP limits. I know, I have one.
I have a button on the back to run the PS to run the fan all the time and I turned it on just so you know that it is being run on and off.

But it is running good now. Problem now is the MB is not running. I have no idea why.

The MB is not running because it's likely been physically destroyed by, for example, connecting the 12V or 5V voltage used for powering the card to a low voltage component on the motherboard, which operates on low voltage, like 1V, 3.3V, whatever.
Your card is a jumper. It's the equivalent of sticking a piece of thin metal into the PCIe slot on the mobo. If you connect your card to another computer, you'll likely destroy it, too.

Problem now is the MB is not running. I have no idea why.

If you can't tell after four pages of people telling you what you did was off the charts dumb and that your hardware is dead, there's nothing that will.

Your video card and motherboard are dead, they were killed by you putting your video card in a microwave. There is no hope of repairing either your video card or motherboard, they are dead and aren't coming back. Don't try to RMA either of them because it'd be you abusing warranty service at this point.

Buy a new video card and motherboard and hope that what you did also didn't kill your RAM or CPU. I would also advise you get someone else to build it that doesn't use a microwave to diagnose or attempt repair of PC parts.

problem now is the MB is not running. I have no idea why.
You destroyed every IC on your GPU and some traces on the board in the microwave. Then you plugged it into a perfectly good motherboard.

Best case just your PCIe slot (not the physical slot, but the actual electronic components that make it work) is toast. Worst case your motherboard, cpu and Ram are all dead. Permanently. Or something in between.

Do not plug anything you really want to keep into any of these parts.

Find some old cheap parts and start testing. I would start with a motherboard.
Or
Recognize you done ducked up and buy new parts. All of them. Even your PSU is suspect, even if it turns on and appears to work it may have damaged components.

Next time your GPU overheats, ask here what to do. Likely cleaning the heat sink and reapplying thermal paste was all it needed.

Putting ANY electronic device in a microwave will render it a paperweight as soon as the magnetron is energized. The very first pop, sizzle, et al you hear, forget it! She's done, period.
Never heard of a consumer microwave of 200W. Aside from an inverter microwave, ALL microwaves run the magnetron at FULL power regardless of the power level you select. It just cycles it on and off so the averaged "cooking power" is approximately the percentage of rated. Inverters are unique as they can run continuously at partial power down to perhaps 30-40% (typical defrost value) and will cycle below that. That's a limit based on the magnetron itself.

It's also dangerous because the arcs are hot and will ablate (fancy word for burn the shit out of!) plastics and other composites releasing smoke and fumes that are really bad for you.

If the intent was to heat the board slightly in hopes of partially reflowing it, it's a major fail as the graphics card is certainly FUBAR'd now. Guaranteed.

As for your motherboard, it's probably toast too but the other parts are probably OK. Unless you're running some sorry PSU like DEER, RAIDMAX, et al. A good PSU will shut things down pretty fast before serious damage is done to your CPU and RAM. But a colossal short/fault in a PCI-E slot it's not gonna like.

Putting ANY electronic device in a microwave will render it a paperweight as soon as the magnetron is energized. The very first pop, sizzle, et al you hear, forget it! She's done, period.
Never heard of a consumer microwave of 200W. Aside from an inverter microwave, ALL microwaves run the magnetron at FULL power regardless of the power level you select. It just cycles it on and off so the averaged "cooking power" is approximately the percentage of rated. Inverters are unique as they can run continuously at partial power down to perhaps 30-40% (typical defrost value) and will cycle below that. That's a limit based on the magnetron itself.

It's also dangerous because the arcs are hot and will ablate (fancy word for burn the shit out of!) plastics and other composites releasing smoke and fumes that are really bad for you.

If the intent was to heat the board slightly in hopes of partially reflowing it, it's a major fail as the graphics card is certainly FUBAR'd now. Guaranteed.

As for your motherboard, it's probably toast too but the other parts are probably OK. Unless you're running some sorry PSU like DEER, RAIDMAX, et al. A good PSU will shut things down pretty fast before serious damage is done to your CPU and RAM. But a colossal short/fault in a PCI-E slot it's not gonna like.
He said he microwaved it cause it was having overheating issues... lol.

I had similar problems after I beer battered and deep fried a XBox 360. It's kind of ridiculous that today's electronics manufacturers with all the money they charge us can't better protect the equipment we buy from them for our various attempts to prepare them as food.

But yes...reiterating....throw it in the trash and never plug it into anything you care about again. Yes, you can "bake" some electronics to reflow solder or whatnot but that's usually a desperation move on dead/dying equipment and you need to do it careful. And certainly never, ever a microwave. They don't work like that. Microwaves work by causing water molecules to vibrate against each other and generate heat. In the absence of water you just burn the hell out of any conductive metal bits. I'm just not sure where you would get the idea that this makes sense.

That being said if it's a troll job I appreciate and applaud the dedication.

I feel bad for OP now
Op what you did wasn't dumb, it just wasn't well thought out. Plenty of people stick their electronics into ovens which is also just as dumb

Use this as a learning experience OP

How is this thread still open and the OP not banned for trolling?

There is no way someone who has been a member of [H] for two years is still that fucking stupid.

This might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard anyone do on here.

Naah, I give that award to the one guy a couple years ago now(?) who killed his motherboard/video card doing something stupid and then publicly admitted to abusing RMA to get another one, then promptly got banned for it. He also got a free "known warranty abuser" title.

Your card is a jumper. It's the equivalent of sticking a piece of thin metal into the PCIe slot on the mobo. If you connect your card to another computer, you'll likely destroy it, too.
I really don't get this part, I find it very weird. You are saying just because a graphics card is microwaved and got some burns that it is not dead, only it will not but burn the PC it goes in? Really?

I really don't get this part, I find it very weird. You are saying just because a graphics card is microwaved and got some burns that it is not dead, only it will not but burn the PC it goes in? Really?

This is so simple. You fried the GPU, you then put the GPU in the PC which shorted something in it and probably fried that in turn.

Please, sir, step away from the electronics.

You killed the whole computer. Yes.

I feel bad for OP now
Op what you did wasn't dumb, it just wasn't well thought out. Plenty of people stick their electronics into ovens which is also just as dumb

Use this as a learning experience OP
Yes, it was dumb. Baking electronics is a valid thing to fix them, but you learn not to put metal into a microwave as a young child.

Well, my microwave is a 42 litres LG inverter. It has 200 Watt and defrosting and more for popular dishes.

PSU is seasonic 850w Focus.

MB is gigabyte Z490M Gaming X

CPU is I5-10400

That's all.

Not exactly, simply a microwave under 200 watts. My intention was to get the heat on the gpu itself. And don't worry, it's all fine. The graphics card has only two molten plastic around the pins. I removed them to connect the pins with power cables. That's all.

This is why most states still outlaw drug use.

You need to take your PC to the BB Geek Squad and tell them what you did to the GPU, and explain that now you need use their PC certified full-size ATX microwave for the rest of your PC in order to equalize the the gamma conductivity in the metallic traces and contacts of the GPU, mobo, and CPU. Only specialized repair shops have these ATX microwaves for this purpose of repairing worn-out components and those that have been exposed to uncertified microwaves such as yours.

Please record this transaction and post it back here too.

The semiconductors in your gpu might not be semiconductors anymore. Many things 'fail short', they stop opposing current flow and just act like a piece of wire.
You don't put forks in electrical sockets (right?), so the same thing applies after zapping a device in random places.

If you put a piece of wire without any resistance between a PCIe socket trace that supplies power, and connect it to another trace which goes to ground, all power will just flow from the source to ground via that wire and there will be no power left for the computer to operate normally.

You need to take your PC to the BB Geek Squad and tell them what you did to the GPU, and explain that now you need use their PC certified full-size ATX microwave for the rest of your PC in order to equalize the the gamma conductivity in the metallic traces and contacts of the GPU, mobo, and CPU. Only specialized repair shops have these ATX microwaves for this purpose of repairing worn-out components and those that have been exposed to uncertified microwaves such as yours.

Please record this transaction and post it back here too.
It's still in warranty. So yes. And I am just thinking that nothing happened to the MB yet. The post speaks about a dead graphics card and is now negotiating a dead pc. The whole pc.

The semiconductors in your gpu might not be semiconductors anymore. Many things 'fail short', they stop opposing current flow and just act like a piece of wire.
You don't put forks in electrical sockets (right?), so the same thing applies after zapping a device in random places.

If you put a piece of wire without any resistance between a PCIe socket trace that supplies power, and connect it to another trace which goes to ground, all power will just flow from the source to ground via that wire and there will be no power left for the computer to operate normally.
I understand. But mostly nothing at all on the PCB got burned. Only the plastic and the interface sockets.

Baking electronics is a valid thing to fix them,

No, NEVER.

Using a toaster oven as a crude reflow oven to make your own PCBs? Yes.

Using any cooking oven to do the same to already manufactured devices, NO. NEVER. If your GPU or Xbox has BGA chips with failed pads, use the proper tools. A hotair rework station, or reball it. Nuking the entire board damages everything, especially electrolytics. They're not designed to be cooked in an oven for the insane amount of time people leave their stuff in an oven for. Plus, this causes offgassing of leftover solder flux, plastics and whatever other solvents deposited on the board, which then whaft around in your house and stick to the inside of your ovens. Not to mention heating up the balls with no flux just makes the joints even more brittle and dry, causing further failure.

If you can't repair it right, don't attempt to at all.

It's still in warranty. So yes. And I am just thinking that nothing happened to the MB yet. The post speaks about a dead graphics card and is now negotiating a dead pc. The whole pc.

The only thing I can really say is that despite slurping up loads of electricity, PCs are really sensitive to that electricity going places it shouldn't. The Microwaving of the GPU will have fundamentally damaged it's ability to wrangle it's electricity, and it may ultimately have allowed this uncontrolled current back into the motherboard, which has a very strong chance of killing it.

You need replacement parts to test with. Get a cheap GPU and stick it in - see if the machine boots, but as other have said, don't use the same slot as you did before. Be prepared to lose any new hardware you plug into that board too.

The only thing I can really say is that despite slurping up loads of electricity, PCs are really sensitive to that electricity going places it shouldn't. The Microwaving of the GPU will have fundamentally damaged it's ability to wrangle it's electricity, and it may ultimately have allowed this uncontrolled current back into the motherboard, which has a very strong chance of killing it.

You need replacement parts to test with. Get a cheap GPU and stick it in - see if the machine boots, but as other have said, don't use the same slot as you did before. Be prepared to lose any new hardware you plug into that board too.
PC is not powering on. I don't know why. Only PS works. MB only and CPU with case switches and the PC case button nor any power on trick works. Still working on it. Period.

PC is not powering on. I don't know why. Only PS works. MB only and CPU with case switches and the PC case button nor any power on trick works. Still working on it. Period.

It's because everything that's happened is confluent. If your PC has only stopped booting after you'd inserted an exceptionally damaged GPU into it and nothing else changed, then it's not a huge synaptic leap to conclude that your exceptionally damaged GPU has visited damage upon the motherboard. Like I said, unruly electricity can annihilate electronics in short order. If you're of the opinion that short circuited hardware is only a danger to itself, then divest yourself of that assumption - it's a hazard to anything you plug it into.

Look, these other guys are not being helpful.

Those pics clarified things. Here's what you need to do...

1. Repair the card.
2. This is not that hard (conceptually: your skills/toolset is what may not be up to the task).
3. Put the GPU on a flat surface.
4. You've got some damaged substrate.
5. With a sharp razor, gently, VERY gently, begin to separate the pcb layers. This can be done, but requires a steady hand.
6. Once all layers are separated (you DID remove the surface mounted ICs, resistors, switches, diodes, and capacitors first, right?), then using a jeweler's loupe (or your phone's camera zoomed in), follow the circuit traces on each pcb layer.
7. Wherever you see a burned out section of trace, use the pencil lead (graphite, I know) technique and bridge the gap.
8. Reassemble the layers. (It's pretty important to stack them in the right order. One or two in the wrong place are okay, but not more than that.)
9. Drop all the surface mounted stuff back on. (Rectangle pieces in rectangle spaces. Etc.)
10. Bob's your uncle

Let us know how it goes!

Pics!

IF you reinserted the "baked" Video card into the motherboard and then tried to power on the computer, it's pretty likely that one of the shorts in the video card caused your motherboard to die in a way that prevents it from working ever again.

That voids your warranty so do not return it under warranty until you can positively prove your actions didn't cause the motherboard to die. If you do otherwise, it is fraud.

I understand. But mostly nothing at all on the PCB got burned. Only the plastic and the interface sockets.
You only see the burnt PCB, you cannot see the microscopic circuits inside the chips on that PCB. Those circuits are meant to be powered by 1-3 volts, microwaves can induce thousands of volts. Thousands of volts scramble the circuits inside chips and turn them into blocks of metal. Plugging that scrambled GPU into your motherboard was no different than plugging a fork into it. The motherboard is fried now and cannot tell the PSU to turn on (or the PSU thinks the motherboard is also a fork and won't turn on to protect itself).

eWaste the entire system and buy a new one, nothing in there is trustworthy.

It's because everything that's happened is confluent. If your PC has only stopped booting after you'd inserted an exceptionally damaged GPU into it and nothing else changed, then it's not a huge synaptic leap to conclude that your exceptionally damaged GPU has visited damage upon the motherboard. Like I said, unruly electricity can annihilate electronics in short order. If you're of the opinion that short circuited hardware is only a danger to itself, then divest yourself of that assumption - it's a hazard to anything you plug it into.
I connected PS to MB several times already. Still have functional PS and not working MB. Meaning? High chance everything is okay but a little thing unfigured..

Back