I haven't changed CPU thermal paste in 2 years, but should I?

EnthusiastXYZ

Limp Gawd
Normally I support cleaning, maintaining hardware and updating software, even if "it ain't broke", but in this case I am not sure. My stable OC remains the same for the last 2 years. Temperatures remain the same also.

Does thermal paste somehow evaporate or go somewhere over time? If there is no deterioration in anything, then maybe I shouldn't bother.

I've had multiple rigs run for 6-8-10 years without ever changing the paste, but this is most likely made possible by having adequate air flow and proper cooling set-ups from day 1.

So unless you are constantly pushing your cpu to it's max speeds (o/c) & workload capacity, and as long as the temps are staying within normal ranges, that saying about "if it aint broke" does indeed apply here...

Reactions: travm
like this
Every time I'm servicing the insides of my PC, I change the thermal paste. It's usually every 2-3 years. Never had a problem, it's just easier to clean everything if you take it apart. GPUs are the exception, so far I've never had a reason to repaste one. Still no problems. Generally with the thermal protections built into modern hardware there is no reason to replace the paste, just to replace the paste.

My PC is 11 years old and I've never re-pasted it. Temp has never gone over 73c either.

I just pulled my Skylake system apart. Built in 2015. The Cooler Master brand paste was still very soft and looked like it was just put on. Now, I do leave my system on 24/7/365 so that may help keep it soft but it can last a long time.

like this
Yeah I've never taken a hsf off and said "wow, should have changed the paste sooner"
It might be a bigger deal with GPUs and higher heat parts, but for most mid-range common usage parts it seems to almost last forever.

Only time Ive seen paste go bad was some white paste on a pentium 233. I took it apart about 5 years ago and it had turned into powder. Considering though it was an OEM gateway computer and it was the original paste application from 1995, I think it did okay considering the case only had the PSU pulling heat out of the case.

like this
"if it works don't fix it"

Monitor temps, reapply paste when needed. I have had significant improvements in temps but have never seen dryer out paste.

like this
What's the benefit of repasting the GPU then?

I do know that the factory thermal paste can be crap, but I see some people continuously repasting their GPUs.

I do know that the factory thermal paste can be crap, but I see some people continuously repasting their GPUs.
Most are doing it while replacing thermal pad for mining. I don't think anyone is constantly changing the thermal past on GPUs. Not only can GPUs be a pain in the ass to take apart most companies will try and void your warranty. The factory paste might not be the best but it is design to last the life time of the GPU.

like this

I don't know specifically about GPU's but I have seen some factory OEM paste be very hard and basically crumble. In that case, I would replace it immediately (obviously you have to if you have removed the cooler and found this is an issue). I've not seen that issue with aftermarket paste.

I don't know specifically about GPU's but I have seen some factory OEM paste be very hard and basically crumble. In that case, I would replace it immediately (obviously you have to if you have removed the cooler and found this is an issue). I've not seen that issue with aftermarket paste.
Whether or not you end up needing to repaste depends on how hot the part runs and for how long. Laptops will need re-pasting every few years because they all run pretty hot. As for desktop CPUs and GPUs, it depends on how much time they spend at full load.

I repaste like every 2 years when I do a complete rig tear down and clean. I buy the large syringe of the stuff when it's on sale, so why not. I remember back in the day certain TIMs needed curing time, so I wouldn't change it. Most of time tho I change it out during regular maintenance times.

I repaste like every 2 years when I do a complete rig tear down and clean. I buy the large syringe of the stuff when it's on sale, so why not. I remember back in the day certain TIMs needed curing time, so I wouldn't change it. Most of time tho I change it out during regular maintenance times.
Great way to handle it.

I usually keep my CPU for years and have never changed the thermal paste...too much work to take out everything (including the massive Noctua heatsink cooler)...as long as temps are good then there's no need...just make sure to put the paste on properly the first time

Modern non-metal pastes are within a degree of metal, while lasting 4x as long!

MX-4 has an 8-year rated lifetime (and has been running my 4790k for 7 years now)

Back