I hate 2020...Series X sold out already

DarkSideA8

Gawd
This is just like the Nvidia BS.
I had one in the cart and by the time I hit purchase it was out of stock.

Someone in England is scalping one for 5k Pounds ($6,500)

Come on 2021!

I will admit I scalped 2 PS4s I got on launch night 2013 (?). I was going to sell them at cost to friends, but I had to wait in the freezing cold for 4 hours in Times Square. My group's intern, who we'd designated to do the waiting, called in sick that night (he didn't get an offer, unsurprisingly). My whole dev team had been pulling a week of all-nighters, hadn't seen outside of the office for days in the lead up to a major release. I wanted to surprise them with some fun that weekend as we were all pent up in the office. We had a blast playing AC: Black Flag and Killzone for the weekend (my account was literally within the first 10 in NA to log in). I figured I'd worked too hard freezing off my cohenes and fighting off pimple-faced college kids to get them, so I sold them both for a profit and used most of the proceeds for closing drinks once our app was out.

But yeah, screw all y'all scalping for profit alone.

I will admit I scalped 2 PS4s I got on launch night 2013 (?). I was going to sell them at cost to friends, but I had to wait in the freezing cold for 4 hours in Times Square. My group's intern, who we'd designated to do the waiting, called in sick that night (he didn't get an offer, unsurprisingly). My whole dev team had been pulling a week of all-nighters, hadn't seen outside of the office for days in the lead up to a major release. I wanted to surprise them with some fun that weekend as we were all pent up in the office. We had a blast playing AC: Black Flag and Killzone for the weekend (my account was literally within the first 10 in NA to log in). I figured I'd worked too hard freezing off my cohenes and fighting off pimple-faced college kids to get them, so I sold them both for a profit and used most of the proceeds for closing drinks once our app was out.

:eek::eek::eek:

@OP, yeah, just how it is this year. Nvidia with new cards, AMD with new chips, MS with new console, Sony with new console, new phones. Everyone is releasing new things, going to be some stress on the back-end to meet the demand. Hold strong and early 21 will be probably be most easier I think.

I freely admit that I sold an XSX this morning locally for $800. It went extremely fast and I had several offers. The purchaser literally told me I should have bought a bunch and I could have made a lot of money, handed me cash, smiled, and left. I understand the angst against scalping but the people buying the consoles are also happy. Anyways, hope everyone here that wants one can get one.

I freely admit that I sold an XSX this morning locally for $800. It went extremely fast and I had several offers. The purchaser literally told me I should have bought a bunch and I could have made a lot of money, handed me cash, smiled, and left. I understand the angst against scalping but the people buying the consoles are also happy. Anyways, hope everyone here that wants one can get one.
It is not like they would have not bought one at the store if a scalper was not between them, we are not talking about someone that introduce to buyers product from Alibaba they didn't know about (and would have not have been willing to command stuff from a China platform), there is no much value, in a way I imagine their provide a service to the very rich people ready to pay a lot for in demand products, otherwise regular people would get them.

People unfortunately don't speak with their wallets, they just encourage this nonsense.
Like said above, someone paying a giant extra to a scalper is speaking a lot with is wallet and going out of is way doing so, people are screaming with their wallets in this case, their wallets is the reason the phenomenon exist.

Like said above, someone paying a giant extra to a scalper is speaking a lot with is wallet and going out of is way doing so, people are screaming with their wallets in this case, their wallets is the reason the phenomenon exist.
The phrase generally means to not buy something.

There’s people on this forum scalping too. I gotta say, this whole scalping nonsense has lead to an exponential increase of my ignore list :D
I agree. I’ve come across more than a few cassias wanna be scalpers in our fs forums. I just added them to my ignore list.

That's not good! Now how will you ever play...

*reads notes

...years-old Xbox games only slightly faster...?

Grin..

I don't Xbox... But I would like to get one for the kids

That would be nice

Eh, aside from Halo Infinite (which is coming out on PC as well) I really can't think of a SINGLE exclusive game on XBSX that... exists? I honestly can't think of a single game that is exclusively available on XBSX... Like, some HAVE to exist, right? A console that launches without a SINGLE exclusive game? There MUST be one, at least ONE exclusive game.

Eh, aside from Halo Infinite (which is coming out on PC as well) I really can't think of a SINGLE exclusive game on XBSX that... exists? I honestly can't think of a single game that is exclusively available on XBSX... Like, some HAVE to exist, right? A console that launches without a SINGLE exclusive game? There MUST be one, at least ONE exclusive game.
I asked a few people what they're excited to play and it was either crickets.. or "old games".. I don't understand Microsoft. Trillion dollar company that lost the previous fight to PS4 because they forgot the importance of a firstparty library, and here we are again with a new launch and not a single launch exclusive.

I asked a few people what they're excited to play and it was either crickets.. or "old games".. I don't understand Microsoft. Trillion dollar company that lost the previous fight to PS4 because they forgot the importance of a firstparty library, and here we are again with a new launch and not a single launch exclusive.

They were banking on Halo. There simply hasn't been time for their purchased studios to get games out yet (especially as some are still supporting multiplatform projects they were working on prior to being purchased). Both console launches this week feel a bit rushed and anemic. At least MS does have it's amazing BC stuff to back it up, but that's not really going to hold for the long term. They're likely going to have a rough 2021, unless they can start rolling out some heavy hitters and purchasing exclusivity stuff with bigger AAA games.

They were banking on Halo. There simply hasn't been time for their purchased studios to get games out yet (especially as some are still supporting multiplatform projects they were working on prior to being purchased). Both console launches this week feel a bit rushed and anemic. At least MS does have it's amazing BC stuff to back it up, but that's not really going to hold for the long term. They're likely going to have a rough 2021, unless they can start rolling out some heavy hitters and purchasing exclusivity stuff with bigger AAA games.
I'm a huge fan of the Bungie-era Halo games, and I was so excited for Halo Infinite, until I saw that gameplay demonstration....

You guys are confusing me... Who buys hardware for a software exclusive?

The whole gaming community is moving cross platform (even if only console +PC)

My kids want to lounge around with friends and game using a controller - isn't that why people Xbox?

My kids want to lounge around with friends and game using a controller - isn't that why people Xbox?
Uh a lot of people?

They lost last gen from the start with all the anti-consumer bs they sprouted at E3. MS 1st party studios have always been lacking. I don't see it changing much this gen either. For me anyway.

1. Everyone should be buying hardware for exclusive software otherwise there is no reason to have hardware competition. That's why you see a lot of PC gamers that have PS4s/5s and/or Nintendo Consoles as secondary consoles and not Xboxesb/c those platforms have games you simple can't play anywhere else... inFamous, The Last of Us, Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, Days Gone, God of War, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Persona, and the list goes on. Sony has a incredible first party line-up and is very hard to beat. VERY first-party Microsoft title will release via Game Pass on Xbox and Console so there is virtually no reason to buy a Xbox for PC gamers unless there are Xbox games your friends/family play that you can't play cross-platform with them via computer which is actually my case.

2. The whole gaming community is not moving cross-platform... Microsoft's acquisition of Zenimax is proof of that and comments about how Bethesda games are going to be exclusive. Microsoft is also continuing to comment about more studio acquisitions which to me signals the fact that they know their first party exclusive titles are lacking.

My assumption about SONY is that they did the exclusives to force people who otherwise would not buy one, to buy one. XBox doesn't have that problem; Sony is the underdog and needs something to compete on. Despite that - I've never been tempted to buy a PS because -- why? My son's friends all play on XBox and if he wants to have the social aspect of gaming, locking him into a restrictive universe just does not seem like a good idea.

Of course, I am a PC guy who looked on Apple / McIntosh's 'exclusivity' (read: lock you into the Appleverse and not play nicely with the rest of the world) with disdain. Frankly, it's always seemed to me to be anti-competitive and not worthy of support.

All of that aside: I do acknowledge that Sony's exclusives tend to be highly rated (otherwise - what's the point)

My assumption about SONY is that they did the exclusives to force people who otherwise would not buy one, to buy one. XBox doesn't have that problem; Sony is the underdog and needs something to compete on. Despite that - I've never been tempted to buy a PS because -- why? My son's friends all play on XBox and if he wants to have the social aspect of gaming, locking him into a restrictive universe just does not seem like a good idea.

Of course, I am a PC guy who looked on Apple / McIntosh's 'exclusivity' (read: lock you into the Appleverse and not play nicely with the rest of the world) with disdain. Frankly, it's always seemed to me to be anti-competitive and not worthy of support.

All of that aside: I do acknowledge that Sony's exclusives tend to be highly rated (otherwise - what's the point)
How is Sony the underdog when they've been winning the console wars for for the last 3 years? Lol.

https://news.sellorbuyhomefast.com/...-vs-xbox-one-global-lifetime-sales-july-2020/

Arrogance, ignorance and stupidity is why Microsoft is where its at now with the Xbox...

How is Sony the underdog when they've been winning the console wars for for the last 3 years? Lol.

https://news.sellorbuyhomefast.com/...-vs-xbox-one-global-lifetime-sales-july-2020/

Arrogance, ignorance and stupidity is why Microsoft is where its at now with the Xbox...
I'm not familiar with "Sellorbuyhomefast" as a source. This one shows a different spread: https://www.statista.com/statistics/276768/global-unit-sales-of-video-game-consoles/

However - seeing as this one confirms your premise, I'll allow that Sony 'won' https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/301380-why-the-playstation-4-triumphed-over-the-xbox-one -- something I'd never realized (or really thought about). My only quibble: those are world wide figures. My experience (watching my son interact with his peers) shows that XBox is the place where the kids hang out.

I bought an XSX because I don't want to have a gaming PC anymore. $500 and a simple couch gaming solution. Medium looks cool and is releasing soon, plus potential future games. And gamepass is lit, Sony can't touch it. Great for kids.

I bought an XSX because I don't want to have a gaming PC anymore. $500 and a simple couch gaming solution. Medium looks cool and is releasing soon, plus potential future games. And gamepass is lit, Sony can't touch it. Great for kids.
Gamepass is a killer feature, its way underpriced for what you get - Windows or Xbox alike, and a no brainer if you have both.

There aren't really any games worth playing on it or the PS5 immediately anyway. Just shut off your brain and pretend it doesn't come out until February. There won't be much of a difference between now and then anyway.

There aren't really any games worth playing on it or the PS5 immediately anyway. Just shut off your brain and pretend it doesn't come out until February. There won't be much of a difference between now and then anyway.
Oh I get it. But

Kids.

Christmas.

Oh well - looks like he gets a picture of one with IOU scribbled across it

Oh I get it. But

Kids.

Christmas.

Oh well - looks like he gets a picture of one with IOU scribbled across it
Lucky kids.
There is obviously some level of hope between now and Christmas, but you and I both know it will be perennially OOS until next year and probably a little afterward.

Im keeping the PS5 boxed up until Xmas for the kids, but man... Miles morales is calling.

Im keeping the PS5 boxed up until Xmas for the kids, but man... Miles morales is calling.
Remember, you might want to consider unpacking it and getting everything ready (updated, configured, games installed, etc.) pre-Christmas, so that when the inevitable PSN downtime occurs, your kids aren't upset then. And you have to put in some time gaming with it to make sure it won't be one of those systems that will brick. Just think of the children!

Remember, you might want to consider unpacking it and getting everything ready (updated, configured, games installed, etc.) pre-Christmas, so that when the inevitable PSN downtime occurs, your kids aren't upset then. And you have to put in some time gaming with it to make sure it won't be one of those systems that will brick. Just think of the children!

I'll second this... but with the caveat that it feels less critical on PS5.

I got both consoles this week. Both allow you to setup faster by using an app. Both had an update to download (and in the PS5's case, a controller update also). Both took only a few minutes to get to the consoles main menu. From that point on, though, things were pretty different. I don't do physical games. For Series X, I had to get downloading, and maybe it's that the console doesn't support it, or maybe just the games I played don't, but I wasn't able to play anything until it was completely downloaded. It took a few hours from when I unboxed to when I was able to play. On PS5, this was a non-issue. For starters, you've got Astro's Playground loaded and ready to go... and don't undersell it, it's not just a tech demo, it's genuinely fun and a great way to see what the console can do, I whole heartedly support making this the first thing you fire up on Christmas, it's a real treat. I started a bunch of other downloads, and just a few minutes into Astro I got a notification that Ghosts of Tsushima was ready to play. A few minutes after that, a second notification that God of War was ready. Kudos to Sony for getting two games simultaneously to the "Ready to Play" point instead of waiting to download the second game until after the first had fully downloaded. By the time I finished the first world of Astro, I had 2-3 games ready to go. Even if PSN is down, you've for sure got Astro ready to play from the moment you plug it in.

Reactions: T4rd
like this

If they are selling console (at least the first year) at a lost or near a lost, I imagine they will be more than happy to sell you Gamepass for your PC instead than for an XBox, that could be the logic:
https://www.theverge.com/21364626/xbox-series-x-pc-game-pass-xcloud-strategy

And the percentage of the population with both an PC capable of playing Xbox series games setted to do so comfortably from their couch on their TV is maybe not that big of a competition to the XBox that we could think. It got extremely easier over time, but I think we all know even tech savy and PC owning people playing non console exclusive on their console instead of their computer to not have to deal with it (or maybe in the past able to play online/accumulate XBox points)

They could prefer or at least not mind people playing from their PC instead than from an XBox, that help keeping Windows alive on desktop, they do not have to make and sell you the XBox

I'll second this... but with the caveat that it feels less critical on PS5.

I got both consoles this week. Both allow you to setup faster by using an app. Both had an update to download (and in the PS5's case, a controller update also). Both took only a few minutes to get to the consoles main menu. From that point on, though, things were pretty different. I don't do physical games. For Series X, I had to get downloading, and maybe it's that the console doesn't support it, or maybe just the games I played don't, but I wasn't able to play anything until it was completely downloaded. It took a few hours from when I unboxed to when I was able to play. On PS5, this was a non-issue. For starters, you've got Astro's Playground loaded and ready to go... and don't undersell it, it's not just a tech demo, it's genuinely fun and a great way to see what the console can do, I whole heartedly support making this the first thing you fire up on Christmas, it's a real treat. I started a bunch of other downloads, and just a few minutes into Astro I got a notification that Ghosts of Tsushima was ready to play. A few minutes after that, a second notification that God of War was ready. Kudos to Sony for getting two games simultaneously to the "Ready to Play" point instead of waiting to download the second game until after the first had fully downloaded. By the time I finished the first world of Astro, I had 2-3 games ready to go. Even if PSN is down, you've for sure got Astro ready to play from the moment you plug it in.
Thanks for the tips, how fast is your Internet? My series X had to update both controllers. I'll likely get it connected earlier to test and download a game or two, I want the first game to be a family friendly that the wife and kids will all enjoy (Astros Playroom). Then it's Miles Morales.

Would be funny if the few people who get these jump online ready to get into mp and realize there’s not enough players lol

Would be funny if the few people who get these jump online ready to get into mp and realize there’s not enough players lol
That might be the case IF there were actually any Series X exclusives... but since it's all just Xbox One games and the multiplayer is compatible (AFAIK) it's not an issue. So... win for Xbox players, I guess? :D

Just going to leave this scalper ad pic here...
IMG-20201121-WA0000.jpg

Back