I bought an 8 TB WD Easystore drive. But the drive inside was 12 TB!!

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
In Nov. 2020, I bought this 8 TB Easystore drive from Best Buy. I just checked online, and the order clearly shows an 8 TB drive, and that's what I remembered.

So imagine my surprise when the drive showed in Windows as 12 TB. (y)

The other day, this drive would simply not spin up. The power LED never lit up. So I just shucked that drive, put it into a drive dock. It works fine, and it's a model WD120EMFZ. Does WD do that often?

WD replaced my Red drive with another Red which wasn't compatible with the old one. And then they refused to replace it with correct drive, which they call Red Plus now. This is what WD does.
Edit: And when I expressed my discontent they responded with a link to a class action lawsuit site, now I will receive $3 as a compensation ...

WD120EMFZ is the 12 TB model. I’m guessing it was just sent by mistake.

WD120EMFZ is the 12 TB model. I’m guessing it was just sent by mistake.
You would think that a really bit outfit like WD would not make mistakes like this one. Maybe some guy was really pissed at his boss? :rolleyes:

WD replaced my Red drive with another Red which wasn't compatible with the old one. And then they refused to replace it with correct drive, which they call Red Plus now. This is what WD does.
Edit: And when I expressed my discontent they responded with a link to a class action lawsuit site, now I will receive $3 as a compensation ...
It's only the lawyers who get a big payday. Us regular Joes get half a peanut, unsalted.

In Nov. 2020, I bought this 8 TB Easystore drive from Best Buy. I just checked online, and the order clearly shows an 8 TB drive, and that's what I remembered.

The other day, this drive would simply not spin up. The power LED never lit up. So I just shucked that drive, put it into a drive dock. It works fine

The other day, this drive would simply not spin up. The power LED never lit up. So I just shucked that drive, put it into a drive dock. It works fine, and it's a model WD120EMFZ. Does WD do that often?
What did the packaging box for the drive say it was?

HPA thing? Big drive with a partially unusable area with Host Protect Area applied that somehow 'unapplied' itself?
When I applied HPA to short-stroke big drives (for random access performance) many programs did still detect it as a bigger one.
One actually 'reverted' to default. Those were Seagates, though.

So, when you were using in the USB case it showed in Windows as 8TB and when you shucked it you noticed it was a 12TB model and now shows up in Windows as 12TB? Is that what you are saying?

Not trying to rain on your parade, but what practical use has a single big drive? You certainly do not need 10+ TB of temporary storage, do you? Single drive is not for archiving purposes, even if it had a reliability factor of 99.99% (it doesn't) it still wouldn't be sufficient for precious data which cannot be lost. Maybe media server, containing thousands of DVD rips which you have done of DVD's you own. But even then, ripping thousands of movies is lots of work, you wouldn't be happy to lose it. Just curious, I would have no use for a drive like this.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but what practical use has a single big drive? You certainly do not need 10+ TB of temporary storage, do you? Single drive is not for archiving purposes, even if it had a reliability factor of 99.99% (it doesn't) it still wouldn't be sufficient for precious data which cannot be lost. Maybe media server, containing thousands of DVD rips which you have done of DVD's you own. But even then, ripping thousands of movies is lots of work, you wouldn't be happy to lose it. Just curious, I would have no use for a drive like this.
You might not.
Other people do.
You're in the wrong subforum if you think that 10TB is "too much" space. 🤣

You're in the wrong subforum if you think that 10TB is "too much" space.

But I don't think it is too much. I have 8 TB of storage space myself. I never said 10 TB is too much.

I was curios. What use people have for big single drives. Being curios is not allowed? I got into computers being curious. I have also lost data by using single drives. Once it happened I changed my personal storage policy radically. Never lost data again, probably never will. Unless there is an EMP attack. Even then my archive grade DVD's with my most important data will probably survive.

So, when you were using in the USB case it showed in Windows as 8TB and when you shucked it you noticed it was a 12TB model and now shows up in Windows as 12TB? Is that what you are saying?
It actually showed up in Windows a while ago, before I shucked the drive. But somehow I thought that the drive was reporting itself wrong to Windows.

I was curios. What use people have for big single drives. Being curios is not allowed? I got into computers being curious. I have also lost data by using single drives. Once it happened I changed my personal storage policy radically. Never lost data again, probably never will. Unless there is an EMP attack. Even then my archive grade DVD's with my most important data will probably survive.
You can use it as a game drive, or as backup, the fact that it is a single drive does not make it a bad backup, chances of both the original and the backup failing at the same time are pretty slim and you can always make multiple copies of realy important data or also put it on the cloud.

I cannot believe this from WD. I thought I was conned, again. But I got a refund!
The story. Two weeks ago I woke up early morning, like before 6 AM Sunday morning. I saw an email from my server (I run a little email server in my router, all computers report there if any issues emerge) about one drive dropped from zpool. Well, since it has WD Red drives I went to WD Store, saw the price of my drive was dropped to $69.99 and bought it, still somewhat sleepy. Got a cup of coffee and looked at my receipt in email, I was charged $89.99! Twenty bucks is not a big deal, but that feeling being deceived ... Logged in back to WD Store and tried to cancel (same drive was at Amazon for $69.99). WD Store did not let me cancel, already shipped! Really?! Sunday morning, 4 AM in Kalifornia, shipped in less than 10 minutes? Now I felt really taken in. Double ripoff. I contacted their customer service, just to let them know what I think of them. After my previous experience I didn't think they will do anything about it. Just 5 minutes ago I got an email, you have refunded $20. I'm speechless. What I'm gonna do with this free $20 now ...

I cannot believe this from WD. I thought I was conned, again. But I got a refund!
The story. Two weeks ago I woke up early morning, like before 6 AM Sunday morning. I saw an email from my server (I run a little email server in my router, all computers report there if any issues emerge) about one drive dropped from zpool. Well, since it has WD Red drives I went to WD Store, saw the price of my drive was dropped to $69.99 and bought it, still somewhat sleepy. Got a cup of coffee and looked at my receipt in email, I was charged $89.99! Twenty bucks is not a big deal, but that feeling being deceived ... Logged in back to WD Store and tried to cancel (same drive was at Amazon for $69.99). WD Store did not let me cancel, already shipped! Really?! Sunday morning, 4 AM in Kalifornia, shipped in less than 10 minutes? Now I felt really taken in. Double ripoff. I contacted their customer service, just to let them know what I think of them. After my previous experience I didn't think they will do anything about it. Just 5 minutes ago I got an email, you have refunded $20. I'm speechless. What I'm gonna do with this free $20 now ...
Go to Starbucks and buy lots of overpriced coffee drinks.

I added $70 and bought two 20 round clips from Beretta. Now I'm out of additional $70. Let it be a lesson to you. Free money does no good.

Back