I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

I Bought a RTX 3080 Today!

• Yes

Votes: 74 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 619 89.3%

• Total voters
I am so glad i gave up on a 3080 and found a work around that works for me.

picked up at BB today, was ready a day earlier than expected. Excited to toss it in tonight, but i'm still going to keep trying for an ASUS 3080 Strix.

3080.jpg

I finally picked up an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra this morning from my local Micro Center...it uses 3 8-pin power connectors...do I really need to use 3 separate cables for each connection or can I just use 1 cable that has 2 connectors?...my Corsair PSU has 4 separate 8-pin cables (with 2 connectors per cable) but that would mean I would need to push out or remove my PSU to attach the new cables and that would be annoying...

I finally picked up an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra this morning from my local Micro Center...it uses 3 8-pin power connectors...do I really need to use 3 separate cables for each connection or can I just use 1 cable that has 2 connectors?...my Corsair PSU has 4 separate 8-pin cables (with 2 connectors per cable) but that would mean I would need to push out or remove my PSU to attach the new cables and that would be annoying...
You can use a single PCI-E cable with two 8 pins, and a second PCI-E cable to get your three. They do not have to be three unique cables.

JacobF, EVGA product manager says that’s fine in this thread.

https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3143518&p=1

Each 8 pin pci-e lead can supply 150 watts safely. So three 8 pin connectors is max 450 watts, plus 75 watts from the pci-e x16 slot. 525 watts of potential headroom for your EVGA FTW3.
The card won’t use near that continuous — no matter what you try to do (and have we seen any testing where three 8 pin cards actually outperform two 8 pin header cards? I haven’t come across anything.)

Last edited:

I would probably buck up and add the extra cable. While 2 cables (one with splitter) can handle the full wattage, it leave no extra room for failure. On top of that the 3080 ftw3 ultra is a power hog. *same with the 3080 strix*

It's what I did anyways.

Last edited:
How the hecK? I am always on the BB site and everything is alwasy sold out. I have such a hopeless feeling. I have been on the step up Q since October and am in the EVGA Q since then too. Nothing...........

How the hecK? I am always on the BB site and everything is alwasy sold out. I have such a hopeless feeling. I have been on the step up Q since October and am in the EVGA Q since then too. Nothing...........
Best Buy restocks every 1-2 weeks, the cards go in and out of stock over the course of maybe 15 minutes.
Let me do you a favor, the restocks are always at 11:20-11:30 AM on Tuesdays and Fridays. So on those days and times you can just open BB's website and spam F5 for a few minutes.

Just to be safe you probably want to use an alerter bot, discord, twitter, Distill, etc, to constantly check for stock anyway. A few months ago they had a random restock at 1 AM and the cards were available for like half an hour lol.

Best Buy restocks every 1-2 weeks, the cards go in and out of stock over the course of maybe 15 minutes.
Let me do you a favor, the restocks are always at 11:20-11:30 AM on Tuesdays and Fridays. So on those days and times you can just open BB's website and spam F5 for a few minutes.

Just to be safe you probably want to use an alerter bot, discord, twitter, Distill, etc, to constantly check for stock anyway. A few months ago they had a random restock at 1 AM and the cards were available for like half an hour lol.
Restocks are not always 11:20-11:30 AM on Tuesdays and Fridays. I’ve been involved in drops on Wednesdays and Thursdays as well and time ranging from 10 AM to 12 PM ET. The last few have been Tuesdays and Fridays, but not always.

Thanks, i will give it a try tomorrow

Most restocks have been around 6am Eastern.

All of mine have, I've had to be at my computer at 3am to attempt to get them.
I just looked through two stock notification Discords and not a single BB drop has ever been at 6 AM ET since they started tracking back in October. I am not sure where you are trying to get them then.

I just looked through two stock notification Discords and not a single BB drop has ever been at 6 AM ET since they started tracking back in October. I am not sure where you are trying to get them then.
You were right, I went back through my notifications. They were PS5 notifications for BB, not 3080s. The earliest I've gotten BB notifications was 7:54am.

Back