I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

I Bought a 6800 / 6800 XT Today!

• I bought a Radeon 6800.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought a Radeon 6800 XT.

Votes: 18 3.6%
  • I bought one of each or two or more!

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • I tried to buy a 6800 / 6800 XT and Failed.

Votes: 197 39.2%
  • Did not try to buy one at all.

Votes: 267 53.1%

• Total voters
XFX RX 6800 XT Speedster just showed up on Newegg. Of course, removed from my cart before I could enter my order.

Same thing. So close, so many times.

Edit: happened 3 times on newegg. Even got it in my cart once.

Looks like AMD launched a cheap, impressive reference card in low supply to trick consumers into paying obscene AIB prices... Where have I hard that before?
Lots of differences between what NV did and what AMD has done. But I would not expect you to understand the differences.
What I heard over on TPU forums, is that the chip itself is quite expensive (AMD is not selling them cheap), so retailers/AIBs definitely have an "incentive" to price up, since profit margins are (even more) razor-thin than usual for RX 6xxx.

Maybe FrgMstr will have more info? He's already provided some insight here: More Stuff
This is not close to what NVIDIA did. NV 3080 BOM cost pretty much forced AIBs to sell above MSRP because there was simply not room for AIBs to make money unless they sold higher than MSRP. Good point of reference on this is that EVGA's black/cheap card is $30 over MSRP. AMD BOM cost to AIBs certainly allows them to sell many model cards at MSRP. Go read more about this linked by tungt88 in the quote.
And it sure seems like TSMC dedicated four whole silicon wafers, maybe even five, for the entire 68XX series launch!
AMD will have delivered 5X what NVIDIA has to date comparing 3080 and 6800 by the end of Q4. Plenty more coming in Q1 as well.

NVIDIA owned the entire $500 to $1000 TAM up till the 6800 for all intents and purposes and NVIDIA has abandoned that customer for Q4 and decided to ship 500K ASICs to Chinese miners instead. There is no way for AMD to fill that hole considering that no one could have seen that coming when doing wafer projections.

Also, I have made aware to expect about the same number of 6900 XT in Q4 as NVIDIA has shipped 3090 to date.

While anecdotal, it is still a data point. From out polls here, about 4 registered HFers were able to get 3080/90 in the first month. That number for 6800 after one week is 19. Again, not scientific, just anecdotal. And that is from a crowd that also polled that about 50% were going Team Green for their next purchase.

Thinking it over, with the price of the 6800XT AIB cards, which aren't available anyway, I guess I'll give the 6900XT a shot... if I don't have a card by, call it, dec15th, I might just say F it and go back to trying to get a 3090 - those seem like the best possible chance of getting a card these days.

Around that time is when the 3080ti is expected to be dropping and that will supposedly "list" for $999 just like the 6900XT.

No luck at microcenter today either. Worked all night until the early morning, took a "nap", and slept through opening :(

They said Friday, maybe, they'll get more.

Lots of differences between what NV did and what AMD has done. But I would not expect you to understand the differences.

This is not close to what NVIDIA did. NV 3080 BOM cost pretty much forced AIBs to sell above MSRP because there was simply not room for AIBs to make money unless they sold higher than MSRP. Good point of reference on this is that EVGA's black/cheap card is $30 over MSRP. AMD BOM cost to AIBs certainly allows them to sell many model cards at MSRP. Go read more about this linked by tungt88 in the quote.

AMD will have delivered 5X what NVIDIA has to date comparing 3080 and 6800 by the end of Q4. Plenty more coming in Q1 as well.

NVIDIA owned the entire $500 to $1000 TAM up till the 6800 for all intents and purposes and NVIDIA has abandoned that customer for Q4 and decided to ship 500K ASICs to Chinese miners instead. There is no way for AMD to fill that hole considering that no one could have seen that coming when doing wafer projections.

Also, I have made aware to expect about the same number of 6900 XT in Q4 as NVIDIA has shipped 3090 to date.

While anecdotal, it is still a data point. From out polls here, about 4 registered HFers were able to get 3080/90 in the first month. That number for 6800 after one week is 19. Again, not scientific, just anecdotal. And that is from a crowd that also polled that about 50% were going Team Green for their next purchase.

Moore's Law is Dead was saying how Nvidia sending chips to miners to keep a very tight and scarce supply line. Any more confirmation on that front? Also, anything about a smack down for Frank Azor?

Moore's Law is Dead was saying how Nvidia sending chips to miners to keep a very tight and scarce supply line. Any more confirmation on that front? Also, anything about a smack down for Frank Azor?
I personally am 100% sure that NVIDIA sent about 500K Ampere ASICs to Chinese miners. There are some things that I have seen that confirm that, but I can't share that information publicly. Don't want to get anyone fired.

Hehe, poor Frank. I have known Frank for a couple of decades and he is a good guy that is passionate about gaming and hardware. However, he is surely learning that the enthusiast hardware market marketing is different from Alienware marketing. I expect he is learning when to STFU, to put it in technical terms. ;)

Around that time is when the 3080ti is expected to be dropping and that will supposedly "list" for $999 just like the 6900XT.
Sure, and if there are any to buy, i would take a 3080ti. However, the only card I’ve had a chance of buying so far is the 3090, and I don’t expect that to change anytime soon

Who's waiting for a GPU block, now???

This guy. :)

IMG_20201125_140330__01.jpg

(YES, there's ghetto tape on the fittings to block scratches. Lol... meh, it works.)

Last edited:
Very much so. He counters everything I say. Not sure why he even comments. I am sure he has a lot more information about the GPU market than I do. /s
Haha, suuuure! I forget about the history sometimes. Carry on. :)

To keep this on topic, I really wish the PowerColor Red Devil wasn't a limited edition card. From the reviews I've seen so far, that's the one I want. Toss a water block on it and see how high I can push it.

Sapphire makes nice cards but the Nitro models cost more money for a worse VRM solution and I haven't had the best experience with XFX designs.

However at this point it's going to come down to whatever I can buy first. Given the price of AIBs for AMD and the fact that - in theory - I could purchase an EVGA 3080 with a waterblock for only $20 more, that would be my logical choice. But there's no inventory for anything, so I'll take what I can get.

Are there any AIBs for AMD planning a card sold with a waterblock? I don't really want to pay extra $ for a cooler I won't need.

Are there any AIBs for AMD planning a card sold with a waterblock? I don't really want to pay extra $ for a cooler I won't need.

The one I know about is the ASUS Radeon RX 6800 XT Strix OC Liquid Cooled, which TPU is doing an upcoming review on.

More Info

To keep this on topic, I really wish the PowerColor Red Devil wasn't a limited edition card. From the reviews I've seen so far, that's the one I want. Toss a water block on it and see how high I can push it.

Sapphire makes nice cards but the Nitro models cost more money for a worse VRM solution and I haven't had the best experience with XFX designs.

However at this point it's going to come down to whatever I can buy first. Given the price of AIBs for AMD and the fact that - in theory - I could purchase an EVGA 3080 with a waterblock for only $20 more, that would be my logical choice. But there's no inventory for anything, so I'll take what I can get.

The Red Devil is not limited edition, there is a limited edition version, I believe a run of 1000, that comes in a beefed up box and includes two keycaps. Then there is the Red Devil without the fancy box but otherwise the same. https://www.powercolor.com/new?id=1606303755

EDIT: Looks like on closer inspection the Non-limited edition is the Red Dragon. Not my fault as the chart is mislabeled on the site and does not match the pictures. However the stats are identical to the Red Devil.

Last edited:

They have a standard version of the red devil too

Reactions: Rizen
like this
They have a standard version of the red devil too
The Red Devil is not limited edition, there is a limited edition version, I believe a run of 1000, that comes in a beefed up box and includes two keycaps. Then there is the Red Devil without the fancy box but otherwise the same. https://www.powercolor.com/new?id=1606303755

EDIT: Looks like on closer inspection the Non-limited edition is the Red Dragon. Not my fault as the chart is mislabeled on the site and does not match the pictures. However the stats are identical to the Red Devil.
Thank you, I wasn't aware of that!

Not only that, Newegg is adding a markup over and above the MSRP for at least some of the AiB cards. As an example, Techpowerup lists the MSRP of Saphire's 6800XT Nitro+ as $770 (with no real overclocking improvement over the reference model) and Newegg was listing it for $829 + shipping.
There's two versions of the Nitro+, the regular that's $770 and the Nitro+ SE that's $830.

There are the Red Devil Radeon RX 6800/6800XT, the Red Devil Radeon RX 6800/6800XT Limited Edition, and the Red Dragon Radeon RX 6800/6800XT.

Hoping powercolor will do a liquid devil

Reading AIB reviews.
AMD shit themselves in foot with rage mode.
Remove rage.
Up standard clocks to rage modeish .
1st blunder in recent times for Lisa Su.
Will you tell me which reviews talk about rage mode? I was really looking to using RAGE/SAM.

I personally am 100% sure that NVIDIA sent about 500K Ampere ASICs to Chinese miners. There are some things that I have seen that confirm that, but I can't share that information publicly. Don't want to get anyone fired.

Hehe, poor Frank. I have known Frank for a couple of decades and he is a good guy that is passionate about gaming and hardware. However, he is surely learning that the enthusiast hardware market marketing is different from Alienware marketing. I expect he is learning when to STFU, to put it in technical terms.

Nvidia cards aren't even that good for mining Ethereum. The 5700xt is a far more plentiful card with a higher performance per watt card and in far greater supply. It just doesn't makes sense for them to buy them up and it doesn't make sense for Nvidia to sell them to Chinese miners. Nvidia is so determined to keep marketshare, that they would not throw it away for a hundred million or so extra profit. They are an execution machine and will release products, prepare for extra cards to drown out AMD, if AMD releases something competitive. Hence when ever AMD releases something competitive, they drop prices, release new products and will even issue refunds where they dropped the ball hard as was the case with the gtx 280.

How trust worthy is this source Kyle?

What AMD has been doing consistently lately is using the goodwill of fans, their youtubers and rumor mills to perform guerilla marketing on their behalf.

How many times has AMD fed you a story about AMD competition and expected you to write a story for them which turns out to be free marketing for them?

There is a couple of times you heard similar rumors to Adoredtv, particularly this one.

https://videocardz.com/79253/adoredtv-amd-to-introduce-radeon-rx-3000-series

What ended up happenings, but you didn't put your credit on the line even though you heard similar things, is Adoredtv was sure these rumors were true as he got fed these from a really creditable sources according to him. The internet exploded because this was post turing, everyone was fed up with prices and AMD didn't have a hand to play since it was too early for Navi. People were salivating about these rumors and it got people to bang up the old AMD war drum.

When these rumors didn't come true AdoredTV , his reputation was in shambles and he was pissed off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/realAMD/comments/cgsyhd/adoredtv_amdone/

What he realized AMD was using him for free marketing through the rumor mills and stories. AMD guerilla marketing style basically meant the person who bought the story to the surface would absorb all the bad will, rather than AMD if these rumors didn't come true.

The thing is have you noticed, most of these rumors benefit AMD unlike the ones for Nvidia or Intel.

Your previous post had a giant thread blow up on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jvx51z/kyle_bennett_once_aib_cards_hit_you_will_see_5_to/

And as we can see from today's launch, there was even worse stock for the RTX 3080 series. Microcenter didn't get any and the two largest retailers in Canada didn't get any. The stock flashes for AIB like Newegg or amazon didn't even happen for most cards. On top of this, small amount of AIB cards that were released, came with even higher markups than RTX 3080 series. There were AIB cards at MSRP unlike AMD's launch today.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce...tx 3080&cm_re=rtx_3080-_-14-126-453-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...tx 3080&cm_re=rtx_3080-_-14-932-367-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-...tx 3080&cm_re=rtx_3080-_-14-137-600-_-Product

AND the AIB partner card with mark ups like these air AIB cards from AMD aren't even that fully featured.

Cards with $80 - $110 prices over reference prices can be water cooled cards for the RTX 3080 series.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=10G-P5-3888-KR
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=10G-P5-3889-KR

Sure these cards are out of stock, but if the stock correlation has any correlation with retail pricing, Nvidia launch is looking better each day compared to how AMD handled things.

I just want to say be careful Kyle, don't get suckered into doing free marketing for AMD.

I just want to say be careful Kyle, don't get suckered into doing free marketing for AMD.
I'm a big boy. I can handle myself.

You are comparing a 1 week launch with a 2 month launch. AMD will have more cards in NA by the end of next month than NV has now. Take it or leave it.

You are comparing a 1 week launch with a 2 month launch. AMD will have more cards in NA by the end of next month than NV has now. Take it or leave it.
Hoping your sources are right. But as of right now I’m in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” crowd.

Hoping your sources are right. But as of right now I’m in the “I’ll believe it when I see it” crowd.
Cannot blame you for that at all. Smart position. Bottom line, there will not be enough cards to go round.

I have put off any thoughts of a new build till Q2 very likely. 2080 Ti is still doing just fine anyway. :)

I had an XFX card in my NE card today and then as soon as I went to check out BLAM Fcuk off ho were out of stock! ughh All good ... part of the game

Nvidia cards aren't even that good for mining Ethereum. The 5700xt is a far more plentiful card with a higher performance per watt card and in far greater supply. It just doesn't makes sense for them to buy them up and it doesn't make sense for Nvidia to sell them to Chinese miners. Nvidia is so determined to keep marketshare, that they would not throw it away for a hundred million or so extra profit. They are an execution machine and will release products, prepare for extra cards to drown out AMD, if AMD releases something competitive. Hence when ever AMD releases something competitive, they drop prices, release new products and will even issue refunds where they dropped the ball hard as was the case with the gtx 280.

How trust worthy is this source Kyle?

What AMD has been doing consistently lately is using the goodwill of fans, their youtubers and rumor mills to perform guerilla marketing on their behalf.

How many times has AMD fed you a story about AMD competition and expected you to write a story for them which turns out to be free marketing for them?

There is a couple of times you heard similar rumors to Adoredtv, particularly this one.

https://videocardz.com/79253/adoredtv-amd-to-introduce-radeon-rx-3000-series

What ended up happenings, but you didn't put your credit on the line even though you heard similar things, is Adoredtv was sure these rumors were true as he got fed these from a really creditable sources according to him. The internet exploded because this was post turing, everyone was fed up with prices and AMD didn't have a hand to play since it was too early for Navi. People were salivating about these rumors and it got people to bang up the old AMD war drum.

When these rumors didn't come true AdoredTV , his reputation was in shambles and he was pissed off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/realAMD/comments/cgsyhd/adoredtv_amdone/

What he realized AMD was using him for free marketing through the rumor mills and stories. AMD guerilla marketing style basically meant the person who bought the story to the surface would absorb all the bad will, rather than AMD if these rumors didn't come true.

The thing is have you noticed, most of these rumors benefit AMD unlike the ones for Nvidia or Intel.

Your previous post had a giant thread blow up on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jvx51z/kyle_bennett_once_aib_cards_hit_you_will_see_5_to/

And as we can see from today's launch, there was even worse stock for the RTX 3080 series. Microcenter didn't get any and the two largest retailers in Canada didn't get any. The stock flashes for AIB like Newegg or amazon didn't even happen for most cards. On top of this, small amount of AIB cards that were released, came with even higher markups than RTX 3080 series. There were AIB cards at MSRP unlike AMD's launch today.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-tuf-rtx3080-10g-gaming/p/N82E16814126453?Description=rtx 3080&cm_re=rtx_3080-_-14-126-453-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080eagle-10gd/p/N82E16814932367?Description=rtx 3080&cm_re=rtx_3080-_-14-932-367-_-Product
https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3080-rtx-3080-ventus-3x-10g/p/N82E16814137600?Description=rtx 3080&cm_re=rtx_3080-_-14-137-600-_-Product

AND the AIB partner card with mark ups like these air AIB cards from AMD aren't even that fully featured.

Cards with $80 - $110 prices over reference prices can be water cooled cards for the RTX 3080 series.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=10G-P5-3888-KR
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=10G-P5-3889-KR

Sure these cards are out of stock, but if the stock correlation has any correlation with retail pricing, Nvidia launch is looking better each day compared to how AMD handled things.

Nvidia launch was better? I think people have short memory. Nvidia didn't have shit for well over a month. I pretty much stopped trying, I fucking secured and xbox series and the PS 5 despite all the scalping shorter time frame then I tried getting ampere. Here we are a week in to RDNA 2 launch and people are losing their shit about stock. AIB cards are AIB cards, fucking buy reference, reviews called it cooler and quieter then founders edition Ampere cards lol. I am still in queue for EVGA For ampere and its been a month no notification lol. So does it suck RDNA 2 launch doesn't have much stock? yea it does but we can judge it after December when they have had the same time as Nvidia. Hell even Nvidia said them selves it is what it is for stock and it wont stabilize until q1, so we are just suppose to ignore direct quote form nvdiia? lol.

Do I expect everyone to get one? nope. Thats how shit is right now. But I am sure if you try hard enough over next month you will likely secure one. But even end of december will be less time will for amd then nvidia has had. So take a deep breath and come back at it late December or January. Happy Thanksgiving.

This I think people lose perspective lol. Its only a week old launch and its already being compared to 2 month old launch.

Heck I tried getting 3080 for a month and I couldn't. I frequently look at best buy and newegg and amazon. I haven't ran across it even once lol. I am sure they come in and out now but I am done chasing them. I am looking at 6900xt but open to 6800xt if availability is better there.

Cannot blame you for that at all. Smart position. Bottom line, there will not be enough cards to go round.

I have put off any thoughts of a new build till Q2 very likely. 2080 Ti is still doing just fine anyway. :)

Kyle, you've been a super nice chill guy lately. I appreciate the input on what you hear about the industry.

Hope you have a happy thanksgiving.

Back