HyperX Savage alternative for performance

Petofi95

n00b
Hi guys,

I'm upgrading RAM memory from 8GB to 16GB in my computer, my current setup is:
ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER motherboard and
2x4 GB HyperX Savage DDR3-1600 CL9

For performance reasons, I was going to buy the same kit as I did a few years ago. The problem is that there is no retailer selling this exact type anymore in my country - I would stick to a home purchase for easier warranty. So I looked around on the current market, the closest I could find is this 2x4GB HyperX Fury Red DDR3-1600 CL10 - so there is a small difference in CL.

I'm not even sure if this motherboard can make use of 4 identical sticks of RAM or only every 2 of them should be the same type!?
  1. In the latter case, does buying the new kit with higher frequency could increase overall performance?
  2. If all 4 sticks should be identical, is the above mentioned HyperX Fury kit an optimal (alternative) solution?
Thank you for your help in advance!
Good health,
Kornél

Your old RAM is rated 1.6v while the new kit is only 1.5v
It may be possible that they will work ok together at 1.5-1.6v 1600c10 but by using different models of chips on the RAM with different v and timing rating you are increasing the chances that it will be unstable even with some manual adjustment.

When looking for a kit of RAM to pair with your old sticks the thing that matters least is the brand and what maters most is the V and speed rating but it will be almost impossible to find 1600c9 sticks that want 1.6v now.
So any kit you buy will be a bit of a gamble unless you go 2x8GB which could be becoming too expensive to be worth it for a old platform.

Your old RAM is rated 1.6v while the new kit is only 1.5v
It may be possible that they will work ok together at 1.5-1.6v 1600c10 but by using different models of chips on the RAM with different v and timing rating you are increasing the chances that it will be unstable even with some manual adjustment.

When looking for a kit of RAM to pair with your old sticks the thing that matters least is the brand and what maters most is the V and speed rating but it will be almost impossible to find 1600c9 sticks that want 1.6v now.
So any kit you buy will be a bit of a gamble unless you go 2x8GB which could be becoming too expensive to be worth it for a old platform.
Thank you for your help! With that in mind, I'll have a look at the market again.
But what makes you think that my old RAM is 1.6v? What I see in the Memory Module Specification (link here and also in the OP) that is says it is: DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9 @1.5V

Sorry seems I made the mistake of taking my info from Amazon which is incorrect unless kingston has released a few revisions of that model RAM.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Kingston-HyperX-1600MHz-Non-ECC-HX316C9SRK2/dp/B00N8H066A
So being 1.5v will make things easier.
Having searched the market, I decided to go with this one: Vengance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 (link), as this is the closest I could find.
So it will be:
HyperX Savage 2x4GB : DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27 @1.5V
Corsair Vengance 2x4GB : DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 @1.5V
So a small difference in tRAS, which I hope will be fine.

Thanks for your help!

Best of luck.
Just about all RAM should work together and usually do but sometimes different chips just don't play nice together.
Unfortunately they don't advertise what chips they use on there RAM and worse often change them within the same model name.

Back