Hyper-V Server 2019 - hardware compatibility?

kdiamond

n00b
I'm buying a new PC for Hyper-V Server 2019, running a couple of Windows 10 VM's. I would like to buy a new computer to last at least some years. I'm reading some posts that people have some issues with drivers for NIC interfaces, so I guess having the latest technology might not be a wise solution. Some people reported they had to install AMD chipset drivers, but I don't know if it's possible for Hyper-V Server 2019 using command line/PowerShell?

Just to be sure. I'm not talking about Windows Server 2019 running Hyper V, but standalone Hyper-V Server 2019. That is OS for running VM's. Only command-line and Power Shell.

Can you please advise me which CPU and Motherboard chipset to buy for best performance and as few compatibility issues as possible?

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 Cores / 16 Threads /105W - newer
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Cores / 24 Threads /105W - older but more cores

Motherboard chipset:
AMD X570 - latest
AMD B550

If there's anything else that would present compatibility issues please advise.

Thank you very much!

Br,
kd

AMD did not, and does not at the moment, nickel and dime virtualization support. Unlike like how Intel has in the past, and even with support mentioned in documents, but only to find no support in hardware and EFI options (q.v. Z77).

However, you are missing one of the most important key is if the support is capable from the vendor via EFI options such as SR-IOV and also (importantly) you will want a NIC with virtual machine queue support. Here is recent forum chit chat I found and has mention of what I said. Note, you may have support in hardware but vendors may not expose the support of particular features which would lead a consumer to purchase Z instead of X for that said support. Just wait till your mind explodes when you deal with IOMMU grouping.........

AMD 550 & X570 CHIPSET NATIVE VIRTUALIZATION SUPPO... - AMD Community

anyways, caveat emptor

Back