HWiNFO NVIDIA GPU Memory Junction Temperature (New in Version 6.42)

sk3tch

2[H]4U
FYI guys - I highly recommend you grab the latest HWiNFO (version 6.42 and higher - it's free) and check your NVIDIA GPU's GPU Memory Junction Temperature - cards like the 3090 can easily hit 105 C and higher. Folks on reddit are not seeing huge M hits by running -500 memory and I can report that, as well. Worth it if you are like me and run with power limits, tuned fans, and lower mem clocks. :) If you're balls to the wall - best that you don't look, lol.

3090_mem_tjunction.PNG

https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Even with -500 I'm still seeing high temps. I know Micron rates GDDR6X at 110 C max, but that's cutting it pretty close IMO.

Assume that’s air cooling?

guess it time to put things under water as soon as you get them as we are no longer able to cool our fast tech via air

Hmm, no dice on my Zotac 3070. Only shows the GPU temp.

My 3090 FE is seeing 94 max after a few hours of cyberpunk.

Allegedly only 3080 and 3090 have the sensors (GDDR6x)
this is correct. g6x only.

My 3090 FE is seeing 94 max after a few hours of cyberpunk.
in my experience mining makes the memory run quite a bit hotter than gaming. and watercooling hasnt necessarly helped. i have a 80FE with one of the junk bykski blocks and im seeing the same 100-110c memory temps also when mining. 44c on the core underload. MORA radiator

I'm going to try modding the thermal pads under the backplate as soon as I can get them shipped to me.

jx4iuql-png.png

Ripped from oc.net. If that doesn't work, I might add some mini heatsinks to the backplate with another fan.

I'm going to try modding the thermal pads under the backplate as soon as I can get them shipped to me.

View attachment 331512

Ripped from oc.net. If that doesn't work, I might add some mini heatsinks to the backplate with another fan.
Be aware that adding extra pads where there weren't any before will help pull heat off the board, but will make the backplate hotter and therefore the ram will actually run hotter. Of course, if you use higher quality pads, it will probably still be better than stock.

Be aware that adding extra pads where there weren't any before will help pull heat off the board, but will make the backplate hotter and therefore the ram will actually run hotter. Of course, if you use higher quality pads, it will probably still be better than stock.

I ordered the Thermalright Odyssey pads. Supposed to be 12.8 W/mK.

If the backplate is able to pull the heat off the memory better (making it hotter), the memory most assuredly will not run hotter. The hotter the backplate is, the better it will be able to dissipate that heat (delta T). If the backplate isn't getting hot, then it's just insulating the memory, keeping the heat trapped.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
If the backplate is able to pull the heat off the memory better (making it hotter), the memory most assuredly will not run hotter. The hotter the backplate is, the better it will be able to dissipate that heat (delta T). If the backplate isn't getting hot, then it's just insulating the memory, keeping the heat trapped.

Mine is definitely getting hot. I just wonder if it should be "hotter."

If the backplate gets hotter from a non memory component such as power delivery, that heat will make memory run hotter.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
If the backplate gets hotter from a non memory component such as power delivery, that heat will make memory run hotter.
True. Can just add some more heatsinking to the backplate then.

My understanding from reading about the FE backplate is that the VRM and the memory share the heat dissipation of the backplate. Heatsinking does help.

only if it fits flat. the fe backplate isn't very large.

Neither is that heatsink. It's only 150mm x 70mm x 10 mm. I think that would still give pretty good clearance, but assist in getting the heat off of the backplate. I'm going to take it out of my computer and measure a few things, but I think it would work.

Neither is that heatsink. It's only 150mm x 70mm x 10 mm. I think that would still give pretty good clearance, but assist in getting the heat off of the backplate. I'm going to take it out of my computer and measure a few things, but I think it would work.
just know the backplate goes to a V, and the perimeter of that V is raised, so you really need to stay within the V to put a heatsink flat on it.

I read that Nvidia says 110* C for VRAM temp is within spec and won’t degrade longevity or performance so why all the concern on this.

I read that Nvidia says 110* C for VRAM temp is within spec and won’t degrade longevity or performance so why all the concern on this.

Because Micron says otherwise, and that's the temp where throttling takes place.

So the debate comes down to whether or not a constant 110C (Eth mining) is within spec vs not very often hitting that (if ever) while playing a game.

Additionally, if I can lower that number through a minor mod, I can ramp down the fans for quieter operation. At 110C, the fans are at 100%.

Because Micron says otherwise.

So the debate comes down to whether or not a constant 110C (Eth mining) is within spec vs not very often hitting that (if ever) while playing a game.
what does micron claim?

Because Micron says otherwise, and that's the temp where throttling takes place.

Additionally, if I can lower that number through a minor mod, I can ramp down the fans for quieter operation. At 110C, the fans are at 100%.
That 95* C is for older GDDR5, 5X, and 6. Apparently, Micron hasn’t published it yet for GDDR6X. Igors lab says 120*C

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/r...rtx-3080s-gddr6x-memory-is-clocked-at-19-gbps

https://www.techpowerup.com/272420/...19-gbps-gddr6x-memory-and-not-faster-variants

Igor summarily says these 100* -110* C temps are within spec and not something to hastily worry about according to his testing. Micron raised the temp limits on GDDR6X.
https://www.igorslab.de/en/gddr6x-a...i-der-geforce-rtx-3080-fe-im-chip-gemessen-2/

Whatever the spec is, throttling occurs. I got rid of my 3090 FE because it would throttle and I had to drop the power down to 62% to help limit that. You can watch for the throttling in GPU-Z - while mining, you want the "Power" throttle if you have things setup correctly. Anything else is due to heat, etc.

I keep my cards mem at 105 C or below, ideally under 100 C.

Whatever the spec is, throttling occurs. I got rid of my 3090 FE because it would throttle and I had to drop the power down to 62% to help limit that. You can watch for the throttling in GPU-Z - while mining, you want the "Power" throttle if you have things setup correctly. Anything else is due to heat, etc.

I keep my cards mem at 105 C or below, ideally under 100 C.

That's my problem with my 3090FE. I'm going to try different thermal pads before I get rid of it though.

That's my problem with my 3090FE. I'm going to try different thermal pads before I get rid of it though.
I never had throttling on my 3090fe but the fans would be over 80% on auto. New thermal pads on the back only and copper heatsinks I'm down to 100-102c while mining with fan on auto doing about 60%. Setting fan to 80% gets me down to 94-96c.

Maybe it's luck of the draw, but 3090 FE (stock) = VRM/mem heating issues. 3080 FE (stock) has been OK for me. I've been most impressed with MSI's SUPRIM cooling setup if you are talking about "stock". Gigabyte's AORUS XTREME is OK, too. But SUPRIM really kills the heat. I prefer not to futz with the cards as-is for warranty/re-sell concerns.

I never had throttling on my 3090fe but the fans would be over 80% on auto. New thermal pads on the back only and copper heatsinks I'm down to 100-102c while mining with fan on auto doing about 60%. Setting fan to 80% gets me down to 94-96c.

I'm guessing you mean copper heatsinks on the backplate?

Something like these over the memory locations?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Maybe it's luck of the draw, but 3090 FE (stock) = VRM/mem heating issues. 3080 FE (stock) has been OK for me. I've been most impressed with MSI's SUPRIM cooling setup if you are talking about "stock". Gigabyte's AORUS XTREME is OK, too. But SUPRIM really kills the heat. I prefer not to futz with the cards as-is for warranty/re-sell concerns.

I get that also. The problem is finding a replacement card right now. If I could trade the FE for a different card I probably would.

^ wow are those just on the housing or are there dremel holes or something? That helps just based on sitting on the housing of the card?

Yikes. Yeah, I think i'll just keep using mine and not thinking about it. No way I'm looking at that.

^ wow are those just on the housing or are there dremel holes or something? That helps just based on sitting on the housing of the card?
If the backplate on the card is getting hot, then that means there's effective heat transfer to the backplate, so it would definitely be helpful to pull the heat off of it.

I'd probably go with something like this with significantly more surface area and thermal tape it on...
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Hea...sdc_2998409011_t4_B07NVLMZNT?tag=hardfocom-20

If the backplate on the card is getting hot, then that means there's effective heat transfer to the backplate, so it would definitely be helpful to pull the heat off of it.

I'd probably go with something like this with significantly more surface area and thermal tape it on...
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Hea...sdc_2998409011_t4_B07NVLMZNT?tag=hardfocom-20

I'd have to go in and measure, but the cross trim pieces in the middle are slightly raised. Might not sit flat (or just take off the trim?). I was thinking of using that, but might "fit" better with several smaller ones due to the trim.

My backplate is definitely hot to the touch.

I would say there is no way that fits. The area on the backplate before the backplate starts to turn into a V is about 80mmx80mm. I'd probably say go for these instead

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Co...28662&pd_rd_wg=1gAj0&pd_rd_i=B07ZNX839V&psc=1

Back