HP Reverb G2

I'm sure somewhere down the line, they'll make some VR gloves and that's when I'll get back into the whole stand up and move around experience. For now, I'm glued to my desk. Anything else to be released in near term that rivals or beats the G2 in terms of visuals?

Just curious, but why will you only get back into stand up VR when there are gloves?

Just curious, but why will you only get back into stand up VR when there are gloves?

The controls out now work fine. I'm just lazy and it gonna take some convincing to get me off my arse again. So I figure if they had gloves that work like in Minority Report or something like that, It would be so awesome that I would put my laziness aside and try to go experience it.

The controls out now work fine. I'm just lazy and it gonna take some convincing to get me off my arse again. So I figure if they had gloves that work like in Minority Report or something like that, It would be so awesome that I would put my laziness aside and try to go experience it.

The Quest 2 has hand tracking. No games use it, but some apps do. It's overrated. IT's the content that's going to get up off your feet not gimmicky hand tracking/gloves

If you haven't done VR since 2017 then you have missed out on so much.

Beat Saber!!!!!!

I decided to cancel my G2 preorder as well. I have not yet gotten the Q2 but after some serious thinking no matter which one I buy I have a SEVERE need to upgrade my GPU. My GTX1080 non-Ti is not even nearly powerful enough to render G2 in full resolution nor Q2 because it also had to do video encoding on fly.

So I will say I am surprised at how much I can push my current GPU. I do have a 1080 Ti and it overclocks nicely through afterburner but the most challenging came I have now is Zero Caliber. I started it on Medium but am now on High and thus far its running fine at full resolution. A few mini chops but overall it runs great. The other games I've played are graphically nothing so no worries thus far.

Quite impressed. I was worried I would need to do a full upgrade to play at the full resolution.

So I will say I am surprised at how much I can push my current GPU. I do have a 1080 Ti and it overclocks nicely through afterburner but the most challenging came I have now is Zero Caliber. I started it on Medium but am now on High and thus far its running fine at full resolution. A few mini chops but overall it runs great. The other games I've played are graphically nothing so no worries thus far.

Quite impressed. I was worried I would need to do a full upgrade to play at the full resolution.

Yeah, but vanilla 1080 is quite a bit slower. It is struggling already at CV1 resolutions on more graphically demanding games unless I turn details way down to low and medium.

Yeah, but vanilla 1080 is quite a bit slower. It is struggling already at CV1 resolutions on more graphically demanding games unless I turn details way down to low and medium.
I was not having a great experience on the Index with my 1080, I can tell you that much. The extra resolution over the OG Vive really matters.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
The big knock on the G2 from many reviews is controller based. Personally I am excited for it. It has 100% more cameras then my O+ which I have found quite fine. It took a bit to figure out room lighting etc.. to get it working as intended. Seems the positive reviewers had WMR experience prior and didn't have to jump though the noob hurdles. WMR can be a bit of a challenge until you understand and learn to work with its quirks.
Personally I am SIM all the way, but never felt my WMR gen1 controllers held me back for the other fun.

The big knock on the G2 from many reviews is controller based. Personally I am excited for it. It has 100% more cameras then my O+ which I have found quite fine. It took a bit to figure out room lighting etc.. to get it working as intended. Seems the positive reviewers had WMR experience prior and didn't have to jump though the noob hurdles. WMR can be a bit of a challenge until you understand and learn to work with its quirks.
Personally I am SIM all the way, but never felt my WMR gen1 controllers held me back for the other fun.

Same here. This just might be THE headset to have for MS Flight Sim. Gonna spend 10000 hours visiting every corner on the planet.

I'm completely new to VR and despise the idea of using the Quest 2, since Facebook wants to be a gate keeper for entry.

The videos I've seen of this headset make it look like an enticing and viable alternative; but all the reports of lost tracking on the controllers has me concerned. I see people mention using the Index controllers, but that's well beyond the cost I'd be willing to risk for my first trip into VR.

Wondering if I should wait a few more years.

This is my first headset and I'm enjoying it. Tracking can be compensated for in some cases once you understand part of how it seems to get lost. When the "hands" are close the to body the side cameras cannot see them and so it tends to drop them vs using the lower cameras specifically or as accurately. I'm sure an update or something can be put out there to correct or improve the concerns there. The other issue is lighting since it uses camera vs IR to scan around. As long as your room is not super bright its not going to be a problem.

I have had a few issues with the tracking but have overall been able to compensate. I need to spend more time focused on it and see what more I can think but I am not sorry I bought this one at its price and am having a lot of fun. Wishing there were more high quality games.

I'm completely new to VR and despise the idea of using the Quest 2, since Facebook wants to be a gate keeper for entry.

The videos I've seen of this headset make it look like an enticing and viable alternative; but all the reports of lost tracking on the controllers has me concerned. I see people mention using the Index controllers, but that's well beyond the cost I'd be willing to risk for my first trip into VR.

Wondering if I should wait a few more years.
qSXGJ0B.jpg (699×3305) (imgur.com)

i have been waiting years, i am 52, done waiting and jumping in.

This is my first headset and I'm enjoying it. Tracking can be compensated for in some cases once you understand part of how it seems to get lost. When the "hands" are close the to body the side cameras cannot see them and so it tends to drop them vs using the lower cameras specifically or as accurately. I'm sure an update or something can be put out there to correct or improve the concerns there. The other issue is lighting since it uses camera vs IR to scan around. As long as your room is not super bright its not going to be a problem.

I have had a few issues with the tracking but have overall been able to compensate. I need to spend more time focused on it and see what more I can think but I am not sorry I bought this one at its price and am having a lot of fun. Wishing there were more high quality games.
How are the visuals? Would you say you feel pretty immersed? Or are there things graphically that make you think it need to be better?

I bought the O+ last Christmas when it was $240 and use it almost exclusively for Sim. It works great and I'm building a new PC this year (well trying anyway) to really push the visuals and fidelity. I saw the G2 pop up and thought I'd take a look at it. I don't really care about controllers (don't use them), hate screen door effect, and have to be able to read text in it. Anyone have experience with both in Elite with feedback?

How are the visuals? Would you say you feel pretty immersed? Or are there things graphically that make you think it need to be better?
Depends on the game and situation. Most of the games are not designed to be super high resolution (at least of the affordable ones I own right now lol) Zero Caliber is the only one that attempts to be real. But the "home" places are pretty decent. I can see some of the pixels since my eyes are so close to them but its not really distracting unless I focus on it or mess with the IPD. I feel quite immersed depending on the game and my focus. If the controls are janky than I find that more of a problem than the visuals. Some are just a learning curve but there are times when trying to orient yourself and move around can either show you how into it you are or how not immersed you are.

There are times where something bright being on the edge of the screen can cause some "rays" but not too bad. Some hot spots but again not too bad. My biggest gripe is that my eyes need to stay straight ahead for the best focus and I turn my head to "look" at something. Mostly that is habit now so its better than the first time but initially that did make my eyes VERY tired.

I played Jet Island tonight for the first time, about 30 minutes and while the graphics are not great the speed and motion was very well conveyed through this and I did sway a bit when changing direction and getting into it lol. I have really solid balance and countered quickly but it was great fun. If you are after great visuals than I would say this is the starting point. Yes I can see pixels depending on the game but its not distracting and I do feel like I am well immersed. I would like a wider FOV but this is a good baseline for me. None of the others could deliver the fidelity that made me bite. In my lighting the tracking not being perfect thus far has only been a minor annoyance.

Text is crisp and quite nice. Everything is clear when set up right for your eyes and I am very pleased for $600. Cant wait for some more games to go on sale that have better visuals though my PC needs a bump lol. Zero Caliber is pushing it at times on high settings (not ultra).

Even though I have cancelled my G2 preorder I do still follow its progress closely because it is still a headset that I do want to buy at some point, unless Valve announces Index 2 next year or something like that. As we know HP messed up the European release of Reverb G2. However just now people around the europe have been receiving emails from different vendors that they get another 50€ reduction in price! Even I received the same email from Amazon.es, which did make me do a double take because I thought I had cancelled it, which I had, and had to login again and check if it is in the Cancelled list, which it still was. Anyway, his is quite interesting. On the other hand I am quite sad that I missed this extra price reduction but on the other hand we now know that HP's screw up is even worse than anyone thought (and hell, it seems like some HP representatives were lying through their teeth...) and who knows when people will actually start receiving their headsets. January 2021 is my guess.

HP Canada says shipped, tracking number and everything. hope it comes by the weekend, even with cyberpunk release i will find time to mess with it:)

I hope this is eventually sold on the microsoft store sometime next year, I have a lot of credit on there.

Pulled the trigger on this tonight, I hope. I ordered through ShopBLT which says they are in stock and has good reviews (incl. here).

Wouldn't ya know it, I just got Star Wars Squadrons which screams VR, and my old 1st gen HP WMR headset spectacularly failed tonight by first going black, and then when I went to take if off, the hinge part just snapped off. Can't complain too much, it was a good run for a $130 refurb headset.

Reactions: noko
like this
Pulled the trigger on this tonight, I hope. I ordered through ShopBLT which says they are in stock and has good reviews (incl. here).

Wouldn't ya know it, I just got Star Wars Squadrons which screams VR, and my old 1st gen HP WMR headset spectacularly failed tonight by first going black, and then when I went to take if off, the hinge part just snapped off. Can't complain too much, it was a good run for a $130 refurb headset.
Not in stock unfortunately. A ShopBLT "order" tends to be placebo 95% of the time. They pull ETA's out of thin air and will screw around for months extending them to a new made-up date because Ingram Micro (whom they are merely a dropshipper for) doesn't seem to have the clout anymore to get priority on inventory as they once did. My G2 "preorder" with BLT has been sitting with them for months, extended 3 or 4 times already, but then I knew at the outset that it was just a backup option to a backup option.

Same here. This just might be THE headset to have for MS Flight Sim. Gonna spend 10000 hours visiting every corner on the planet.
Well yes for sure it is. I don't think there was a doubt :)
Was holding out for a Samsung release but not even a good rumour.

Last edited:
I am debating about grabbing this headset to replace my Rift S. I know some people cite that tracking is an issue, one reviewer says his issues were resolved when using 1.6V AA batteries.

Can anyone confirm this? Or, is the tracking blown out of proportion?

I am debating about grabbing this headset to replace my Rift S. I know some people cite that tracking is an issue, one reviewer says his issues were resolved when using 1.6V AA batteries.

The batteries mine came with almost immediately threw low level warnings so I bought a 12 pack of 1.6v's and have enjoyed them.

It really depends on what you are doing. Overall tracking is fine if you have reasonable expectations. In Zero Caliber the hand that is close to my chest for too long will get lost and wander away but any quick motion brings it back. When the cameras loose the controller they track motion and data to see where its going and can stay decent accurate but if you stop moving it cant see it so it freaks out. Not a show stopper but more an annoyance to learn. In Power Beats I've run into quick motions that dont seem to be registered as strong or as perfect as I would imagine but it also could be me so potentially a learning curve. Or needing to go calibrate or something but thus far nothing has bothered me into stopping or not having fun.

Now a bright room I would imagine is the largest issue so me playing at night with a single over head light that is not super bright probably works in my favor since its not IR tracking.

Problems are always blown out of all proportion on the internet. The HP G2 tracking is ok, it's not as good as the Rift S tracking but depending on the games you play and your playstyle you might not notice at all.

It's like all things, YMMV.

Lots of YT content out now about changing face mask to improve FOV.
HP G2 has brought a lot of content to WMR and optimization in general. Thanks HP :D
A few tricks have really helped my O+!

The only thing keeping me from jumping onboard the Reverb G2 are the controllers. While the improved screen/visuals coming form the Index would be nice, taking the big hit backwards from the Index controllers is a deal breaker for me a least. Plus I'm licking my wounds from a massive PC upgrade... :D Hoping that Valve has an Index 2.0 in the chute for release later this year.

The only thing keeping me from jumping onboard the Reverb G2 are the controllers. While the improved screen/visuals coming form the Index would be nice, taking the big hit backwards from the Index controllers is a deal breaker for me a least. Plus I'm licking my wounds from a massive PC upgrade... :D Hoping that Valve has an Index 2.0 in the chute for release later this year.
Well you can use your index controllers with the G2. If you have the base stations and controllers you just need a dongle to accept the input. Which I e read about people using Vive trackers?

I’ve thought about going this route, but by the time I buy the controllers and base stations + headset and fine tune it... Would be more than the Index.

Well you can use your index controllers with the G2. If you have the base stations and controllers you just need a dongle to accept the input. Which I e read about people using Vive trackers?

I’ve thought about going this route, but by the time I buy the controllers and base stations + headset and fine tune it... Would be more than the Index.

What could go wrong after a few Steam Updates, controller firmware upgrades, dongle upgrades, Windows Updates? Wish Steam have a controller kit that would configure the controllers with any headset that can use SteamVR and thus automatically or most likely support the configuration long term. Base Stations + Controller + any dongle needed.

What could go wrong after a few Steam Updates, controller firmware upgrades, dongle upgrades, Windows Updates? Wish Steam have a controller kit that would configure the controllers with any headset that can use SteamVR and thus automatically or most likely support the configuration long term. Base Stations + Controller + any dongle needed.

I agree, I wouldn't make the recommendation if someone would have to buy everything (minus the Index headset). I know Valve has worked together with other manufactures (even HP with the G2), so I don't think they would purposely block the controllers from working. With that said, a bug from Valve or HP update that prevents the devices from working together might not receive a quick fix. Especially if you reached out to basic customer service, you would most likely be told those are unofficial devices and you must use the Index or G2 controllers to receive support.

Just ordered one directly from HP, supposed to ship on the 28th. I'm hoping it will be the leap up from my CV1 that everyone says it is....

I purchased one of the very first HTC Vive Units back some years ago. Had a lot of fun w/it for a couple of years, but my vision became an issue. The combination of screen door, lens blur and my eye-sight combined to discourage my use of system.

I'm now reading the G2 can work w/original Vive controllers and base stations. (True?) If I could get G2 with corrective lens inserts...it might pull me back to using VR. Anyone here using lens inserts w/G2?

I purchased one of the very first HTC Vive Units back some years ago. Had a lot of fun w/it for a couple of years, but my vision became an issue. The combination of screen door, lens blur and my eye-sight combined to discourage my use of system.

I'm now reading the G2 can work w/original Vive controllers and base stations. (True?) If I could get G2 with corrective lens inserts...it might pull me back to using VR. Anyone here using lens inserts w/G2?
Just got mine yesterday from vr-wave.com and i can say that i am happy with them, but there is no way i would be able to do any fov improving face gasket mods, i also can't even see a reason for them in the first place, it looks great to my old eyes:)

if you have a 3d printer or access to a friend with one you can go way cheaper with https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4690554
and https://ca.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinges/5500?skuId=550021

I have printed the adapters and am waiting on the lenses still.

G2 showed up today and right out of the box i had problems with sound cutting out and visuals stuttering. I have an x570 mobo and this can be a common problem. Moving ports around ended uo fixing this.

The screen is flat out insane. I have a quest 2 and the g2 it blows it away imo. Playing alyx on q2 was lightyears better than the cv1, but the details and sharpness of the g2 is very noticeable. Q2 setup for boundaries and wireless is really good, but its hard to overcome the visual advantage.

G2 showed up today and right out of the box i had problems with sound cutting out and visuals stuttering. I have an x570 mobo and this can be a common problem. Moving ports around ended uo fixing this.

The screen is flat out insane. I have a quest 2 and the g2 it blows it away imo. Playing alyx on q2 was lightyears better than the cv1, but the details and sharpness of the g2 is very noticeable. Q2 setup for boundaries and wireless is really good, but its hard to overcome the visual advantage.
Yep - the people that haven't tried G2 don't know. Clarity is king. The quality bump coming from G1 was also more significant than expected. However not even a 3090 can drive this HMD at native res, so subsampling is required (dropping Steam SS% to 50% or so). It'll be Nvidia 4000 or 5000 series before that happens, but in practice you're not really thinking about it or even caring because the pixel density of the panel doesn't decrease with subsampling, so it still looks incredible.

For people to understand the pixel pushing power required to drive it at native: take a 4K monitor, put another 4K monitor next to it, and then half of another 4K monitor next to that. Then increase the fps from 60 to 90. It's immense.

My current obsession is finding the perfect FOV mod. If you haven't removed the face gasket and run it without it, try it in a darkened room, pushing the lenses as close to your eyeballs as possible. Significant FOV increase, and the floating, weightless feeling of no snorkeling mask strapped to your face is also great. The point isn't to run it that way for long periods, only to see the potential. I see lots of people running the Odyssey+ VRcover on the G2 for a FOV boost. I might just put in some nose pads and call it a day.

I see some people complain "why does this require tweaks and mods, why isn't a 3rd gen HP HMD perfect" - A) it doesn't actually require tweaks or mods, it's simply tweakable and moddable, B) a mechanical adjustment to bring the lenses closer to your face would've added to cost, C) they had to deliver a "one size fits all" solution that accounted for different shaped faces, people with glasses, etc.

Overall it's great, I'm a fan. We're getting ever closer to actually being there.

Last edited:
it needs to be priced $100 cheaper ($500) for it to be the ultimate alternative to the Index...

it needs to be priced $100 cheaper ($500) for it to be the ultimate alternative to the Index...
Cheaper is always better, but if the full Index setup was $400, I'd still buy the G2 for $600, not even a question. Granted, my use case is sit-down sim stuff - VTOL-VR, FS2020, or room-scale Alyx. If I was playing Beat Saber or Pavlov all day maybe I'd reevaluate, but the 4-cam WMR tracking is perfectly serviceable.

For people that have never tried VR the prices no doubt seem high - understandable. However once you experience it, you realize the experience is kind of priceless.

Last edited:
Cheaper is always better, but if the full Index setup was $400, I'd still buy the G2 for $600, not even a question. Granted, my use case is sit-down sim stuff - VTOL-VR, FS2020, or room-scale Alyx. If I was playing Beat Saber or Pavlov all day maybe I'd reevaluate, but the 4-cam WMR tracking is perfectly serviceable.

For people that have never tried VR the prices no doubt seem high - understandable. However once you experience it, you realize the experience is kind of priceless.
Mainly the price issue comes in when you talk about the type of high-end PC you need to actually play PCVR smoothly. If it was just ~$500-600 total, you are talking around a new console price or so. But I guess stuff like the Quest 2 is bringing VR more into affordable mainstream territory, which is good.

my friend gave me the Oculus Rift two months back but I haven't hooked it up yet as I want to upgrade my GPU to a 3080 first...I currently have a 1070

Back