HP Pavilion stuck at bios screen

Someone brought their personal computer in today and when you turn it on the bios screen with the HP splash display loads and stops there. Won't do anything else. I've tried USB and PS2 keyboard on it, but it doesn't respond to anything. Any clues?

HP Pavilion P6243w

I opened up the case, pulled the memory and reseated, then pulled the battery to reset the bios. If I press F10 to enter setup it shows "entering setup" and stays there. This is a side job and really not going to devote time looking around on forums for a fix. But if anyone has any clues I'm happy to give things a try. I think I have some mobo batteries laying around. I'll try putting a new battery in and see what happens.

I pulled the data cable on the hard drive, same result. Installed a new bios battery, same. Tried one memory stick at a time. When I tried to boot without any memory I did get beep codes. Also tried hooking up a different hard drive. I don't see any bad caps on the mobo.

I'm about done playing with it. If nobody else has anything to try I'm going to tell her it's toast and time for a new pc. I should be able to get the data off the drive since that doesn't appear to be the problem.

Could try re-flashing bios probably could get a bios off HPs website. Could be a corrupted BIOS.

Well I let it go at "entering setup" and now in the bios menu but it's slow as molasses. Probably took around 10 minutes to get there. Screens load very slowly. Very strange.

Thanks but I already told her it's toast. I pulled the hard drive, gave it back to her and told her to buy a new pc and I'll put all her data on the new system. I know how much of a hassle that was to find because I spent a while looking for that myself. Thanks again.

OP, is the motherboard a Pegatron by chance? If so, leave it on for ~2min then touch the northbridge heatsink. If it burns your finger you got a bad mobo. I've seen a few HP desktops with the same issue you are describing and it's a known issue that HP never sent out a recall for.

Back