HP Omen 32 1440p Monitor [REFURB] - $239 shipped

If anyone does try three, make sure and download a app called flawless widescreen. It is essential to some games to move HUD elements to the center screen and make aspect ratios and FOVs work.

Any racing or flying game is excellent
Any 3rd person game like shadow of mordor will knock your socks off.

It does NOT work well for FPS games or twitch games in my opinion as there is too much screen - FOVs are often screwed up in FPS with triple monitors (leading to bad fisheye) and the exponentially faster movement of the peripheral monitors’ on screen action is disorienting. I pretty much always just used a single Omen for twitch games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Unreal etc.

Just picked up 2 more to give total 3 a try.. will definitely look up flawless widescreen as u suggest. With many games abandoning support for SLI and Xfiah.. did you try gaming with a solo GPU?

Crossfire on a pair of Fury X cards was a nearly flawless experience for me at that resolution.

I don’t have much experience with SLI yet, (I have two 1080ti now in my gaming rig), but I only use one because my 3440x1440 monitor is easily driven by just one. The other is just used for crypto mining.

^^ Thx for the feedback. I'm going to give it a try on a single 1080ti for starters.. if I need to pair it up later I will. I've been off AMD GPU's since my xfiah 7970's. NV GPU's just seem to work better for me of late and I've sworn off dual GPU's in favor of single fast cards for simplicity.

Freesync is darn nice, and every bit as nice as g-sync IMO. FWIW, it's a shame Vega fell out where it did in relation to 1080TI speed. A 1080TI is just much faster, combine that with better current market pricing, and significantly better driver support and it's hard to recommend an AMD GPU right now IMO.

A couple of Fury X at 7680x1440 did great, but had to run the newest games at medium high settings, the pair couldn't handle ultra settings on the newest titles at that 3 monitor resolution.

A couple of Vega 56 in crossfire didn't work for crap with the drivers they had at launch, (and a single Vega 64 wasn't any better) and having already sold my Fury X and being extremely disappointed with Vega Launch drivers' multi monitor support (which was significantly worse gaming experience than the Fury X --- and just flat out broken for many features) - I sold the whole AMD shebang and went to Gsync and NVidia 1080TIs in disgust.

(at launch Vega didn't support multimonitor bezel correction, freesync, or even just simply smooth frame rates on the games I was playing at the time -- I'd get 90 FPS, then 8FPS --- TERRIBLE swings --- EVEN on AMD titles like Wolfenstein, or more mainstream titles like PUBG. I'd have driver crashes, red screens of death, chrome browser lag, throttling issues, windows lockups -- JUST A COMPLETELY TRASH experience. FWIW, I never experienced those issues on the Fury X cards).

Still makes me angry I wasted my time, money, and energy, on nothing short of a beta product, at their launch...
https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-three-rx-vegas-fair-prices.1946097/#post-1043272982

Last edited:
Back in stock. 7 sold in the last hour so it probably won't last long. Grabbed one myself.

Freesync is darn nice, and every bit as nice as g-sync IMO. FWIW, it's a shame Vega fell out where it did in relation to 1080TI speed. A 1080TI is just much faster, combine that with better current market pricing, and significantly better driver support and it's hard to recommend an AMD GPU right now IMO.

A couple of Fury X at 7680x1440 did great, but had to run the newest games at medium high settings, the pair couldn't handle ultra settings at that 3 monitor resolution.

A couple of Vega 56 in crossfire didn't work for crap with the drivers they had at launch, (and a single Vega 64 wasn't any better) and having already sold my Fury X and being extremely disappointed with Vega Launch drivers' multi monitor support (which was significantly worse gaming experience than the Fury X --- and plan just flat out broke for many features) - I sold the whole AMD shebang and went to Gsync and NVidia 1080TIs in disgust.

(at launch Vega didn't support multimonitor bezel correction, freesync, or even just simply smooth frame rates on the games I was playing at the time -- I'd get 90 FPS, then 8FPS --- TERRIBLE swings on AMD titles like Wolfenstein, or mainstream titles like PUBG. I'd have driver crashes, red screens of death, chrome browser lag, throttling issues -- -JUST A COMPLETELY TRASH experience. FWIW, I never experienced those issues on the Fury X cards).

still makes me angry I wasted my time, money, and energy, on nothing short of a beta product...
https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-three-rx-vegas-fair-prices.1946097/#post-1043272982

I hear you. I have both loved and hated SLI and Xfiah equally over the years. Love it when it works and curse it like a drunken sailor when it has issues. The straw that broke my back was the studdering/hitching in some fps games I was playing. I used to be really anal about being able to max out all the eye candy... spent a lot of time and $$$ on systems that could accommodate my mindset. Nowadays if I need to dial in games settings back a bit to get playable rates I just do it. Thanks again for your responses!

-scoot

Back in stock. 7 sold in the last hour so it probably won't last long. Grabbed one myself.

ahhhh I'm super tempted but truth be told I just bought a house and haven't even used my computer in the last 1.5 months...decisions decisions

Also bit at $219. Really hope I don't regret this purchase!

At $219 how can you have regrets? Anyway.. that's what I keep telling myself to justify buying 2 more.... :rolleyes: Don't think you will be disappointed.. My wife and I have owned these for a few months and have been very happy with them.

Has everyone received a mint-condition monitor from this deal? I'm trying to convince my brother to get one but he's hesitant on refurbs. If he gets a blemished or one with some stuck pixels I'll probably never hear the end of it.

Damnit, I was JUST telling my co-worker "I just missed out on a 32" 1440p monitor for $180" and now I see this thread bumped yesterday just now. I would have snatched it at $219. Added it to my damn watch list now. :(

Has everyone received a mint-condition monitor from this deal? I'm trying to convince my brother to get one but he's hesitant on refurbs. If he gets a blemished or one with some stuck pixels I'll probably never hear the end of it.

Mine was absolutely perfect

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I hadn't added anything to my watch list on eBay in forever, so I was looking to see if there was like a "notify if price below X amount", and ended up seeing that the same seller also has this HP monitor available currently for $204.99 w/ free shipping if anyone can't wait for the Omen to drop again.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-32q-32-Display-WVA-1-07M-colors-DisplayPort-HDMI-2560x1440-60-Hz/273038564399?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=39261&meid=96101cf6c74a49e3874cb671e792ba51&pid=100022&rk=1&rkt=4&mehot=pp&sd=253386092562&itm=273038564399&_trksid=p2055119.c100022.m2048

I saw that also, and was wondering about it...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I am also usually hesitant on refurbs, but at this price and the comments from others who purchased one, I bit a month or so ago. Mine is perfect as well. I can't find anything wrong with it.

I got two and both are near mint and zero dead pixels on both.

The two I ordered are scheduled to arrive late next week. The one I ordered from ebay some time back from the same guy arrived flawless.. could have been NIB. One question thats been naggin at me... why are there so many of these darn nice monitors available as refurbs? Was there a firmware issue early? I have not read of anything wrong with these monitors from go??

I've not read of any issues either - unless just a lot of people return them cause they don't run 75hz on Nvidia?
or
Is it possible they manufactured too many of these, and now are unloading new ones under the guise of refurbs? I'm pretty sure Dell has done that in the past to me. I bought a refurb Dell 3014 for example for 2/3's of the price of new, and it looked brand new. The only difference was it came in a brown OEM box and not a retail box. Everything looked perfect and sealed, and appeared to be factory sealed.

Thanks guys for the reassurance. I'll tell him to bite if/when the price drops back down. Thanks!

I am also usually hesitant on refurbs, but at this price and the comments from others who purchased one, I bit a month or so ago. Mine is perfect as well. I can't find anything wrong with it.
I've honestly NEVER had a problem with any refurbished product I've bought. Always get items in "new-enough" condition and they've always lasted. Hell one netbook Alienware I bought like 7 years ago is STILL kicking. I finally retired it just because it was so slow compared to current tech. Was using it as an HTPC.

arrrggggg, got my DP cable and still no freesync according to AMD diplay panel annd freesync demo, even installed monitor driver from HP and rebooted, same thing, no love.

is it possible i have a bad cable, i got them from monoprice, i did order 2 cables in case one was bad

New screen is installed and is perfect. No complaints here! Time to be super productive at work :p

Attachments

• newscreen.jpg
    newscreen.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 0
arrrggggg, got my DP cable and still no freesync according to AMD diplay panel annd freesync demo, even installed monitor driver from HP and rebooted, same thing, no love.

is it possible i have a bad cable, i got them from monoprice, i did order 2 cables in case one was bad
Did you choose gaming freesync from the quick menu on the Omen?

The one I received looked brand new everything with it is perfect. It showed 2 hours on the backlight when I got it. I guess I need to order a dp cable to test out freesync.

How long did it take for them to actually ship it? Ordered one last Thursday and still no tracking number.

Count me as somebody who had no problem getting FreeSync working over HDMI - overlay works too.

Count me as somebody who had no problem getting FreeSync working over HDMI - overlay works too.

Every part of my system including in the radeon driver says freesync is enabled but the freesync demo doesn't show a difference when the setting is on or off since it doesn't work over hdmi.

What I keep reading is that only one of the ports will support freesync either hdmi or dp but not both. I also believe around the time this monitor was being designed at the time freesync over hdmi wasn't known and only supported by DP. "HDMI by default does not support the commands for a variable refresh rate, but the custom protocol additions made it possible with AMD" which wasn't until after this monitor was designed.

Here's what HP says about it in small fine print at the bottom of their product info on the monitor. "FreeSync™ is only available when it is connected on Display Port. © Copyright 2016 HP Develop" If it also worked over hdmi you would think they would want to advertise that as a feature instead of hiding that it doesn't in small print.

Got my monitor last night and set it up. Just beautiful... I got it for $175 with that 20% eBay coupon.. Looks completely brand new.. I can't even find any blemishes on it... Anyone have any links to calibrating the settings on it?? I tried looking online but couldn't find anything concrete to help me out..

Got my monitor last night and set it up. Just beautiful... I got it for $175 with that 20% eBay coupon.. Looks completely brand new.. I can't even find any blemishes on it... Anyone have any links to calibrating the settings on it?? I tried looking online but couldn't find anything concrete to help me out..

Yeah, I was looking as well and couldn't find anything either. I gotta say though, it doesn't look all that bad out of the box.

Back