HP MS-7826 ver 1.0 Not Detecting Discrete Graphics Card(s)

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
So I had an old HP MS-7826 v1.0 motherboard in my closet .. I added an I7 4770 with 2 x 4GB & 2 x 2GB sticks of DDR3 .. a 128GB mSATA boot drive and installed Windows 10.

The setup is running surprisingly fast and working great .. except for one thing. It won't detect any discrete video cards I install in it .. it has some odd BIOS options where it has some kind of Security "feature" that won't allow the computer to boot if you don't allow a device to be plugged into the various PCIe slots.

I allowed cards/devices to be plugged into every PCIe slot and tried a GTS 450, HD 7850, a couple Quadro cards .. and Windows boots up just fine using the onboard video but no signal from whatever video card that is installed.

In Device manager .. no indication of the video card being installed .. no exclamation points .. no "unknown device" .. only the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 is showing.

The BIOS installed is latest that HP offers going through it's auto detection HP tool thing on their website.

Visually inspecting the PCIe x16 slot ..it looks fine .. no obstructions .. no bent looking contact points .. no burnt marks, or blown caps on the motherboard.

Any help would be much appreciated in getting the setup to "see" an installed video card.. Thanks!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-700-000-desktop-pc-series/5358989/document/c03748942

can you tell it which video to use in the bios? pcie cable plugged in? do you have a really crappy card you could try, one without pcie power?

no option in BIOS to select different video or any kind of video .. used both kinds of video cards .. ones that take pcie power connector and ones that don't. Made extra sure that each card was properly seated.

Generally .. you plug in a video card and it .. generally .. becomes the default video device.. I read online and others are installing different AMD and Nvidia cards on this motherboard without issue ..

I've been going through each of the few BIOS options and toggling them to see if something will magically start using/seeing whatever video card I have installed .. nothing so far.

All the video cards I've been trying work just fine in another older rig that I am putting together (LGA 2011 x79t Chinese knock off motherbaord that was my TrueNAS server for quite awhile)

no option in BIOS to select different video or any kind of video .. used both kinds of video cards .. ones that take pcie power connector and ones that don't. Made extra sure that each card was properly seated.

Generally .. you plug in a video card and it .. generally .. becomes the default video device.. I read online and others are installing different AMD and Nvidia cards on this motherboard without issue ..

I've been going through each of the few BIOS options and toggling them to see if something will magically start using/seeing whatever video card I have installed .. nothing so far.

All the video cards I've been trying work just fine in another older rig that I am putting together (LGA 2011 x79t Chinese knock off motherbaord that was my TrueNAS server for quite awhile)
try clearing the bios?

maybe the m2 slot disables it, idk, im out of ideas. it should work...

I'll pull the mSATA drive out and see if that's the ticket .. thanks for the idea

Did you end up getting this issue resolved?

My guess is that the system is in UEFI mode and none of the GPUs you've tested have a UEFI GOP present.
Have you tried booting with a card installed in legacy bios mode (CSM enabled)? You wouldn't be able to boot into the existing UEFI Windows install, but you'd be able to see if there's video output from the card.

If the card puts out video while in legacy mode, then you have some options to work with.

no .. no resolve .. went through all available limited BIOS options (HP motherboard) and finally just went with onboard graphics .. ended up setting system up for an elderly woman to replace her old Q6600 Dell setup .. so I don't have it anymore

Did you end up getting this issue resolved?

My guess is that the system is in UEFI mode and none of the GPUs you've tested have a UEFI GOP present.
Have you tried booting with a card installed in legacy bios mode (CSM enabled)? You wouldn't be able to boot into the existing UEFI Windows install, but you'd be able to see if there's video output from the card.

If the card puts out video while in legacy mode, then you have some options to work with.

Yep, was about to say this. I had a similar HP system last year that would refuse to use any PCIe video card I had. I did research and it turns out the system won't use any video card that has a legacy BIOS on it without being forced into CSM mode. Disabling UEFI and secure boot was a royal pain on the system involving several reboots and entering a PIN to "make sure" you actually wanted to disable it.

I was planning on leaving this thread alone after the OP gave away the hardware, but I noticed there are no posts on HF mentioning the GOPUpd tool.

Link: https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html

If you run into an issue like the OP's, this tool is very useful. If you have an older pci-e gpu it's worth checking out the thread, especially given the current situation with video cards.

Having a UEFI GOP on your backup/rescue/testing card is really nice. When a manufacturer tells you to pound sand after asking for a vbios update for your old card, this tool can fill the gap.

I was planning on leaving this thread alone after the OP gave away the hardware, but I noticed there are no posts on HF mentioning the GOPUpd tool.

Link: https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html

If you run into an issue like the OP's, this tool is very useful. If you have an older pci-e gpu it's worth checking out the thread, especially given the current situation with video cards.

Having a UEFI GOP on your backup/rescue/testing card is really nice. When a manufacturer tells you to pound sand after asking for a vbios update for your old card, this tool can fill the gap.
gonna check it out ..thanks!

Back