How was this 2600x working? (damage pic)

sappyse107

Limp Gawd
Took a little bit to get the cpu out of the socket, but never expected anything like this. Computer worked, so what the heck are those 4 burnt pins for?

Attachments

• 20211106_183515.jpg
    20211106_183515.jpg
    677.6 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure what those pins are for exactly. I am curious just how well it was working though. Like, were all of the cores working or only some of them? Also, the memory controller is on the CPU. Perhaps those pins correspond with a memory slot that is/was not being used? Like if at some point in the past maybe you had RAM issues, then moved the RAM to different slots and assumed the problem had been solved?

That was my only guess, on the ram slots not being used. No issues, but wasn't looking for problems either before I pulled it. its a friend's computer that I put together a couple years ago and I used it for a bit before he got it.

Lot of pins are used to provide current/tension to the cpu (would make sense to be the one to burn), without some of them I imagine it should still work, but less stable current accross the chips (or less of it in total) can be come and with AMD keeping the same socket for many generation I could see them having reserved pin for the future, but I do not imagine those would burn out.

I have attached a pin out diagram for am4 in the attached files. And the link below is a link to a google spreadsheet that shows the am4 pinout in greater detail.

AM4 Pinout

Attachments

• y6ytKZT[1].jpeg
    y6ytKZT[1].jpeg
    588.1 KB · Views: 0
Back