How to update BIOS on Asus TUF B365M-PLUS GAMING when BIOS is too old to support i5-9400T that I got for it

pclausen

Gawd
Got a good refurb deal on this Asus Micro ATX mobo. Problem is that the BIOS currently installed might not support the CPU I got for it.

Original BIOS is version 0207 and I need version 0818 in order to post with the 9th Gen CPU I got.

This mobo does not support USB BIOS Flashback from what I can tell.

I already have the mobo, but am still waiting on the CPU.

If the BIOS is too old, what would be the quickest way to get the BIOS flashed to the current version (1201 released back on 2019/07/24)?

1. Buy the cheapest CPU that is supported (Celeron G4900), use it to update the BIOS, then resell it?

2. Walk into BestBuy (30 min drive) to see if their Geeksquad can update the BIOS for me?

3. Walk into MicroCenter (2 hour drive) to see if they can update the BIOS for me?

4. Find a [H]ard member that has a 8th Gen CPU laying around I can borrow?

I'm 99% sure options 2 and 3 are non-starters as the 8th GEN procs are too old now to be stocked at either store.

What would you do?

find a mom and pop shop that will probably have a chip lying around see if theyll flash it or by a cheap chip and then resell it

Got a good refurb deal on this Asus Micro ATX mobo. Problem is that the BIOS currently installed might not support the CPU I got for it.

Original BIOS is version 0207 and I need version 0818 in order to post with the 9th Gen CPU I got.

This mobo does not support USB BIOS Flashback from what I can tell.

I already have the mobo, but am still waiting on the CPU.

If the BIOS is too old, what would be the quickest way to get the BIOS flashed to the current version (1201 released back on 2019/07/24)?

1. Buy the cheapest CPU that is supported (Celeron G4900), use it to update the BIOS, then resell it?

2. Walk into BestBuy (30 min drive) to see if their Geeksquad can update the BIOS for me?

3. Walk into MicroCenter (2 hour drive) to see if they can update the BIOS for me?

4. Find a [H]ard member that has a 8th Gen CPU laying around I can borrow?

I'm 99% sure options 2 and 3 are non-starters as the 8th GEN procs are too old now to be stocked at either store.

What would you do?
I would say that chances are pretty good it arrives with a new enough bios for you to run it with your 9th gen----and then update to the newest bios. If the newest is not already installed.

I live in Charlottesville and there aren't any mom and pop shops around anymore. Back in the day they were all over the place.

chameleoneel I hope you're right! But yeah, otherwise I guess I'll just pick up a Celeron G4900 and resell it. Suprised to see those are still selling for $100 used. That is almost as much as what I paid for the i5-9400....

I live in Charlottesville and there aren't any mom and pop shops around anymore. Back in the day they were all over the place.

chameleoneel I hope you're right! But yeah, otherwise I guess I'll just pick up a Celeron G4900 and resell it. Suprised to see those are still selling for $100 used. That is almost as much as what I paid for the i5-9400....
If it comes down to it, call Best Buy, rather than drive. Be very specific about what you need.

There may also be a [H] member nearby, with relevant hardware to your needs. You could also check out the local FB computer parts group, to see if anyone can accomodate you.

I would say that chances are pretty good it arrives with a new enough bios for you to run it with your 9th gen----and then update to the newest bios. If the newest is not already installed.

I agree. It's not exactly a recent board. I would think that would be part of the "refurbishing" since it could have been returned for exactly this issue.

I noticed this sticker on the board:

IMG_2780.JPG

1201 happens to be the latest BIOS made for this board. Coincidence?

The CPU will be here Friday, so I guess I'll find out then.

In case you guys were wondering, this is going in a little cube case that will only accept a Micro ATX mobo. It will be a little quiet winter heater running a pair of watercooled RX480's hashing away. I went with a i5-9400T because it is low power and since I was going to spend $100+ on a CPU anyway, I figured I might as well get something halfway decent as opposed to a cut down Pentium or Celeron. Might turn this into a light gaming rig or something for one of my girls down the road.

I noticed this sticker on the board:

View attachment 398315

1201 happens to be the latest BIOS made for this board. Coincidence?

The CPU will be here Friday, so I guess I'll find out then.

In case you guys were wondering, this is going in a little cube case that will only accept a Micro ATX mobo. It will be a little quiet winter heater running a pair of watercooled RX480's hashing away. I went with a i5-9400T because it is low power and since I was going to spend $100+ on a CPU anyway, I figured I might as well get something halfway decent as opposed to a cut down Pentium or Celeron. Might turn this into a light gaming rig or something for one of my girls down the road.
Yeah the pricing is really odd. Used to be able to get a G4900 for ~50 bucks. Also they did this lame thing on z490/590 where they don't support some of the early celerons for new bios releases. I understand that on AMD where you have 3 gens of CPU but on intel's moneygrab tick/tock they should easily be able to fit that on the chip.

The i5-9400T finally showed up today. Sure enough, the little mobo booted right right up. BIOS is actually 1601 from 2020, which is newer than anything on the Asus website.

So I got my cute little mining box up and running:

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2788.JPG

Its completely quiet and GPU temp stays around mid 60's in my warm office. Should make for a great little heater in the master BR once it gets cooler.

The i5-9400T finally showed up today. Sure enough, the little mobo booted right right up. BIOS is actually 1601 from 2020, which is newer than anything on the Asus website.

So I got my cute little mining box up and running:

View attachment 399292

View attachment 399293

View attachment 399294

Its completely quiet and GPU temp stays around mid 60's in my warm office. Should make for a great little heater in the master BR once it gets cooler.
eh....they have a bios listed from July 24th, 2021. Version 2208. It support resizable BAR.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...F-Gaming/TUF-B365M-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

its great though, that it shipped with a new enough bios to support your hardware!

eh....they have a bios listed from July 24th, 2021. Version 2208. It support resizable BAR.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-C...F-Gaming/TUF-B365M-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

its great though, that it shipped with a new enough bios to support your hardware!

Thanks for that link, I was looking at the U.S. version of the website:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard...ng/TUF-B365M-PLUS-GAMING-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

And 1201 is the latest they show there. I'll throw 2208 on there. But yeah, really happy is came with a new enough BIOS to run my 9th gen CPU!

Back