How to set up vpn server on my home pc so I can connect to it anywhere?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I do not have a router that supports vpn. All I have is a spectrum issued wifi router which is really basic. What I would like to do is setup vpn server software on my home pc, so I can connect to it when I am at work.

I really do not mind paying for a vpn service if it allows me to do this. But I thought vpn services like that just connect you to remote servers. I want something that will sit on my home pc and allow me to vpn into it. Again I do not have a vpn router, I really don't want to buy one.

Is there anyway to do this? Do vpn services that cost money allow this connectivity? I thought about enabling RDP and using dyndns to just connect but that is insecure as all hell. Thanks for the help!

Does that work through work firewalls? I would need something that works behind my work firewall.

Are you trying to control the computer or access the Lan? I use Chrome remote desktop for remote control of my home computer.

Does that work through work firewalls? I would need something that works behind my work firewall.
not sure, i only used it from my laptop to home.
edit: maybe?!
1602034722617.png

https://documentation.logmein.com/documentation/EN/pdf/Hamachi/LogMeIn_Hamachi_GettingStarted.pdf

Are you trying to control the computer or access the Lan? I use Chrome remote desktop for remote control of my home computer.

I want something like what remote desktop in windows does RDP. Just to have my desktop available to me as if I was sitting in front of it.

I just thought of something. My job, everything is HIPAA compliant. So I don't think I'd even be allowed to connect to a personal device while at work. I work for a huge medical center in network operations. Just working the night shift, can be a bit down sometimes.

So, nevermind. Was just a thought. I like abiding by the law. I'm a good doobee!

Yeah, you wouldn't be able to do this in a hipaa environment unless you have public internet access--then it might be possible as the packets would be over port 80/443. Still, you might get fired if they find out, so you have to gauge the risk.

I do not have a router that supports vpn. All I have is a spectrum issued wifi router which is really basic. What I would like to do is setup vpn server software on my home pc, so I can connect to it when I am at work.

I really do not mind paying for a vpn service if it allows me to do this. But I thought vpn services like that just connect you to remote servers. I want something that will sit on my home pc and allow me to vpn into it. Again I do not have a vpn router, I really don't want to buy one.

Is there anyway to do this? Do vpn services that cost money allow this connectivity? I thought about enabling RDP and using dyndns to just connect but that is insecure as all hell. Thanks for the help!
Most simple way I ever found to setup your own VPN server either in home network or in a cloud is to use this https://vpn4.one/ site. To setup local network server run the app https://github.com/vpn41/vpn41 on your localhost. The target host must run Ubuntu 20.04 and provide ssh access on 22 port for root user.

After VPN server setup you need to DNAT UDP port to your home server in the router settings. Usually these settings are under 'Port Forwarding' section.

I use wireguard on a rasp pi 4. That way I do not have to expose any of my services to the internet, but still have access. Install is easy, I used piVPN and selected wireguard (over openVPN). The pi needs a static IP so you can open it up via router/firewall settings, but then that is the only device exposed.

I just thought of something. My job, everything is HIPAA compliant. So I don't think I'd even be allowed to connect to a personal device while at work. I work for a huge medical center in network operations. Just working the night shift, can be a bit down sometimes.

So, nevermind. Was just a thought. I like abiding by the law. I'm a good doobee!
you can still use your phone to access your stuff, or use it as a hotspot for something more powerful.

Back