How to SAFELY remove HSF from Ryzen AM4 socket motherboard

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I just ruined my Ryzen 3950X, and I don't want to ruin my replacement 5950X. Obviously I need to tap into all the smarts that you guys have.

It all started when I removed the HSF and the CPU also came out. A true Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot moment. So I did some searched, and this is a known issue with the AMD AM4 socket design. You are supposed to twist the HSF before removing it from the CPU. By the way, after the CPU came out with the HSF, the locking bracket for the CPU no longer locks down the processor. I'm talking about the default Wraith HSF that comes with the 3950X. Did I also ruin the motherboard? :confused:

So I was wondering if the processor lockdown is really important. I put the CPU back into the socket and reinstalled the HSF. Motherboard would not boot up, period. So I thought I should inspect the CPU. THIS TIME I twisted the HSF back and forth before removing it from the motherboard. Again, the CPU came out with the HSF. Only this time, lots and lots of CPU pins are bent. Friend who is good with detailed repairs said "forget about it. You need a new CPU." :banghead:

So I've got a 5950X on order. And I've also ordered a Corsair H150i AIO cooler, https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...E-RGB-ELITE-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060060-WW

What do I have to do differently when I want to remove the Corsair AIO cooler from the CPU?

Did I ruin my motherboard?o_O

Highly unlikely the board is damaged unless a broken pin from the old cpu remains stuck in the socket. Make sure the retention lever is fully released before attempting to socket the replacement cpu. No effort other than proper cpu to socket alignment and gravity should be required to fit the replacement cpu.

warm it up and twist it off. its not just am4, its all zif style sockets.
yes the board might be damaged if the socket wont lock now.
yes you have to lock in the cpu for it to work.
you bent the pin because the cpu wasnt locked in.
just like we said in your other thread.
see first point.
sounds like the mobo socket is fucked.

maybe post some pics...

edited speeling

Last edited:
The thermal goo needs to be warm to easily release. Have computer hot, shutdown, swap CPU's.

Also, post up pics of the damage. Could be repairable

This drives me paranoid after I’ve done this once. I just hold pressure while Removing the screws and then give it a good twist a few times and then it’s good. I would never use a wraith prism anymore. Far safer to use a Noctua or ID cooling tower cooler. You can control the lift pressure basically

The paste used on the stock Wraith coolers is known to turn into glue over time. As others have posted, your best bet is to warm it up, and then be patient. I've had to unlock the CPU and remove it on the cooler, to make it easier to get a very fine blade into one corner to encourage the process.

ZIF sockets are not designed to withstand any great level of forces on the pins. They are designed to make solid electrical contact, not mechanical stress. Keep tht in mind and you shouldn't have any problem going forward.

I've fixed the pins on both AMD CPUs and Intel motherboards. The motherboards are fun. Magnifying glass, head torch and a pin. Half an hour later you could well have a working motherboard again. I had a brand new Intel MB that a kid had put the wrong gen CPU in. When it wouldnt quite fit he just jammed it down and cracked the CPU! This also messed up a dozen or more MB pins. I got the board working again but £250 worth of CPU was screwed. He dumped the board so that was a bonus for me.

Get the pins kind of lined up on the CPU and slip it back carefully in the slot to make sure they all get inserted and straightened. Ordering a AMD CPU from Ebay is usually a pin disaster ahoy!

Also use the right TIM on your new 5950X as well. Something that doesn't pump and dry out after a few months and is good for years if need be. Gelid Extreme or Thermalright TFX. Thermal Grizzly sucks compared to those 2 mentioned above IMO.

Reminds me of the time I bent a bunch of pins on an intel CPU around 20 years ago because of the same type of thing. I bent em back as best I could and the CPU worked just fine.

I just ruined my Ryzen 3950X, and I don't want to ruin my replacement 5950X. Obviously I need to tap into all the smarts that you guys have.

It all started when I removed the HSF and the CPU also came out. A true Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot moment. So I did some searched, and this is a known issue with the AMD AM4 socket design. You are supposed to twist the HSF before removing it from the CPU. By the way, after the CPU came out with the HSF, the locking bracket for the CPU no longer locks down the processor. I'm talking about the default Wraith HSF that comes with the 3950X. Did I also ruin the motherboard? :confused:

So I was wondering if the processor lockdown is really important. I put the CPU back into the socket and reinstalled the HSF. Motherboard would not boot up, period. So I thought I should inspect the CPU. THIS TIME I twisted the HSF back and forth before removing it from the motherboard. Again, the CPU came out with the HSF. Only this time, lots and lots of CPU pins are bent. Friend who is good with detailed repairs said "forget about it. You need a new CPU." :banghead:

So I've got a 5950X on order. And I've also ordered a Corsair H150i AIO cooler, https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...E-RGB-ELITE-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060060-WW

What do I have to do differently when I want to remove the Corsair AIO cooler from the CPU?

did the same thing with a 2200g and it bent the pins on the 2200g I was able to bend em back with a razor but it did not effect the motherboard. Next time I will try to break the seal on the paste with a thin metal spatula i got for my 3d printer before removing the HS.

Last edited:
I ran prime95 for 5 mins and still ended up ripping my 3950x when I was upgrading it to a 5950x. I believe I was using thermal grizzly at that time. When I took my block off recently with MX-5 the block popped right off.

You can bend the pins back if you really want to. Just user a magnifying glass of some decent mag readers and take your time.

The HSF sticking thing has been a problem in every ZIF socket ever made. I have pulled out more CPU's than I can count and then had to pry them off with a standard screwdriver from the HSF.

Mainboard should be fine.

That should be a great upgrade for you.

Back