How to identify source of system beep error when gaming?

ZeroBullet

Gawd
Hi,
I've recently built a system with the following specs:
AMD 5700x w/ Noctua D15S
Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
32gb G.Skill Ripjaws 3200
Gigabyte RTX4080
Corsair RM850x
1TB Samsung 970 evo plus m.2
2TB WD350 m.2
Fractal Torrent

Everything seems a-ok in Windows, but almost immediately as I started my first game (Doom Eternal, turned settings to Ultra Nightmare) a system error beep occured. Shortly later another longer one occurred. Framerates never dipped and according to CPUID HWMonitor neither CPU nor GPU temperatures rose. If I lower settings the errors stop. Now the system is making a weird almost inaudible hollow pulsing windpipe type noise periodically and I can't figure out from where.

Have I broken something? Is there some way to tell what the system errors are actually referring to if there's seemingly no problem with temps? Thanks very much.

Are you sure it is coming from the system and not an UPS? If you have your system plugged into backup battery unit, you could be exceeding its current rating, in which case it will sound an alarm telling you it's overloaded. You lowering the game settings make it happen less often makes this theory plausible. Lower rendering settings make the UPS not hit its overload limit as often, so it won't beep as much.

The video card could also be beeping if it detects something wrong with the power going into it. Quite a few video cards have piezo buzzers on them and will beep for power problems.

The motherboard beeping usually only happens if you have a CPU temp warning set, or a fan failure warning set. But many new motherboards don't have buzzers on them anymore, or the facility to add them.

Yeah it's definitely the computer and not UPS. I crossposted the question elsewhere and power was also suggested. This PSU only came with 2 PCIe 8pin connectors so I had to use the daisy chain for one of them. I've ordered a spare cable to see if it does the trick.

Yeah it's definitely the computer and not UPS. I crossposted the question elsewhere and power was also suggested. This PSU only came with 2 PCIe 8pin connectors so I had to use the daisy chain for one of them. I've ordered a spare cable to see if it does the trick.
Oh my god it actually was my UPS and not my computer, I'm such an idiot for not noticing. Thank you very much.

So beyond my initial stupidity was that periodic pulsing/humming noise. One comment I found online was that it was potentially turbulence. I've disconnected the three bottom fans and it seems to have alleviated the issue. My question then is, realistically what effect will this have on cooling performance if it's just the 2x 180s in the front?

If the case fans were droning, then they were out of balance and vibrating. Multiple fans vibrating the case probably amplified the vibration and made it audible. If you don't have isolation dampers for the fans, you can try those to see if it makes them quieter.

Cutting multiple fans out is going to cause cooling issues, especially with a monster RTX 4080. The powered off fans will probably start acting like an exhaust and the front of the case will inhale hot air coming out of it.

Back