How to get headphone surround sound in COD Warzone?

The two I have heard myself that work decently are Creative's CMSS-3D and Razer's solution which can work on top of anything else.

Thanks for sharing! Is this HeSuVi GSX HRIR some sort of app or download you do?

forgive me, I have absolutely no idea what that is or how you go about doing what you did to improve it.

It's an add-on like peace apo (what I use).

You can use something like CMSS-3D, etc, but if you don't use Dolby Atmos for PC the game won't output that better mixing. Nor do you want to use another virtual surround technology on top of Atmos.

So i listen/watch JackFrags all the time on Youtube. Guys a beast and always has the best videos. I'd go with his word, just updating this thread randomly.

Long story short, footsteps in this current build are jacked up and not consistent. He said leave it on "Home Theater" preset. Also, if your in a house/structure on Warzone, break all the windows and leave a door or two open. Footsteps are much more audible.

Hope that helps, heres the video for reference.

Nice info, but I believe this has nothing to do with the surround discussion. Volume of footstep is an issue, their localization in space is another one.

Nice info, but I believe this has nothing to do with the surround discussion. Volume of footstep is an issue, their localization in space is another one.

You may want to trying messing with a software EQ to elevate treble/mids if you have a bass heavy headphone. Also make sure doors are open and windows are broken in game if you are indoors. This methodology can be applied using DSPs as well where you can create an EQ profile specifically for enhancing these noises. Some sound cards have features like this out of the box, but if you are interested in buying some gear check out Mini DSP. It can do a number of cool things related to making these sound better and saving profiles for different use cases.

You may want to trying messing with a software EQ to elevate treble/mids if you have a bass heavy headphone. Also make sure doors are open and windows are broken in game if you are indoors. This methodology can be applied using DSPs as well where you can create an EQ profile specifically for enhancing these noises. Some sound cards have features like this out of the box, but if you are interested in buying some gear check out Mini DSP. It can do a number of cool things related to making these sound better and saving profiles for different use cases.

I use a MiniDSP DDRC-24 with my monitors. Can't live without it.
Yep, equalizing the midrange may help with footsteps

Finally got around to buying Dolby Atmos for my old Sennheiser HD419 headphones.

I played around in the Warzone training area and moved around a loot crate. The difference between Atmos and regular Windows sound is pretty noticeable. I can also tell the difference as I move the crosshair vertically.

Neat stuff.

1. Set the game audio to use headphones
  2. Use decent headphones
...that's it. Anything other than stereo for headphones is emulating a surround setup then downmixing to stereo as opposed to just mixing to stereo, which is what headphones are.

Creative's sound cards work well for this if you like, but there are other better options available too depending on your needs. I will say that the new X3 looks very nice overall.
Dolby Atmos for headphones might bring a better 3D experience though, if the game supports it. Windows has a paid plugin for Atmos which IIRC includes Atmos for headphones. Not 100% sure though.

So i listen/watch JackFrags all the time on Youtube. Guys a beast and always has the best videos. I'd go with his word, just updating this thread randomly.

Long story short, footsteps in this current build are jacked up and not consistent. He said leave it on "Home Theater" preset. Also, if your in a house/structure on Warzone, break all the windows and leave a door or two open. Footsteps are much more audible.

Hope that helps, heres the video for reference.

Actually you can fix the audio with 3rd party virtual surround software. Heres a video comparing the top apps:

At the end of the day you're going to want to use Dolby Atmos because if you aren't, you aren't getting the atmos mix passed through. Unless you for some reason don't want that.

Great vid comparing allot of various methods out there. They also have a decent video on how to setup HeSuVi

I have had a really hard time making virtual surround sound have any type of advantage in Warzone. I would get some headphones with great soundstage, and if your onboard sound can power them you are likely fine. The in game settings to make the sound brighter is going to be the biggest enhancement. Virtual surround is great for immersion but the audio queues in combat become less reliable and likely to put you at a disadvantage.

Cosigned. I've used both "real" and "virtual" headphone setups, and while they do an "ok" job with surround, you are killing quality and never really felt "right" as far as directional audio is concerned. Maybe Atmos is better then Dolby Headphone was in this regard, but I advocate for good stereo headphones.

As for Warzone settings, I'm convinced High Dynamic Range does not work; I have a dedicated soundcard and headset that should handle that no problem, but the low end is almost entirely cut off. More most decent audio setups, I'd recommend using Mid (even if it does compress on higher end setups).

Back