How to force an app to use NVidia GeForce

JoK

Weaksauce
Hi there,

I've got a Dell XPS with NVidia GeForce 1050 and Windows 10.

I am not a gamer and for the life of me I am not able to force applications to use nvidia. I have changed the settings in Windows and in GeForce Control Panel but I think the graphics card has not been used at all the last 4 or 5 years I own the machine. However, when I run benchmarking software, the GPU works, so the card is not dead or malfunctioning. Also, the latest drivers are installed.

I use some heavy applications that I think (but not sure) will benefit from nvidia (e.g., Live destop, VMWare, Netflix)

So, how is a second graphic card meant to work?

Thanks

Hi there,

I am not a gamer and for the life of me I am not able to force applications to use nvidia. I have changed the settings in Windows and in GeForce Control Panel but I think the graphics card has not been used at all the last 4 or 5 years I own the machine. However, when I run benchmarking software, the GPU works, so the card is not dead or malfunctioning. Also, the latest drivers are installed.

I use some heavy applications that I think (but not sure) will benefit from nvidia (e.g., Live destop, VMWare, Netflix)

Thanks
You could try and disable it in the BIOS or device manager.

Otherwise it's up to the app to decide what to use.

What should I disable in the BIOS? The internal graphics card?

So, the settings in control panel are pointless.
Yes, disable integrated graphics.

What setting in the control panel are you talking about?

I would just disable the Intel graphics in the device manager first.

Hi there,

Thanks
Have you set the Preferred graphics processor to "High-performance NVIDIA processor" in the NVIDIA control panel?

1671465810316.png

Have you set the Preferred graphics processor to "High-performance NVIDIA processor" in the NVIDIA control panel?
Yes, I have already done this.

Looks like it is pointless to check what graphic card a laptop has if you do not do any CAD work or play heavy games

Back