How to fix your noisy Acer X27 fan

Anyone know where to buy a replacement fan in the US? Or a compatible fan that maybe will last longer? I'd prefer not to order from Europe, and I don't need a new heatsink to go with the fan.

I dismantled my display to see if maybe poor contact was the reason for the noise. Nope. The fan is just worn out. Super awesome for a $2000 monitor to have a fan go bad after just 18 months. Taking off the cover was a pain, all the wires are a pain, and other than cleaning out the dust and replacing the thermal paste, I'm still stuck with a noisy monitor. :(

View attachment 362385

View attachment 362386

View attachment 362387

View attachment 362388
take the fan off(unscrew between blades) and get the part number

I did some searching on this and found lots of complaints but no solutions!

I bought (stupidly) an Acer XB273K (4k/144 Gsync 2 27"). I got it all set up and was very impressed with everything except the blasted fan noise. I didn't know prior to buying it that it even had one so that was a shocker to hear my monitor sounding like an AMD 290X in the middle of the sahara desert.

I contemplated the 2 hour + drive back to microcenter but decided to just try and fix it, since there were to tamper seals I could see.

***Take off the two covers by the stand, and the 4 screws holding the stand on.

Popping the back case off is easy, there are two indents on the bottom edge and I used a vinyl trim tool to twist a little and it popped right open, then traveled along the outside perimeter. Didn't even leave a mark on it.

Once I had the cover off I took some of the small connectors for the controls loose and the fun begins.

This is basically what you'll see:

View attachment 172893

I removed the silver tape from around the module and fan (already removed as pictured), and folded back the ones holding the frame to the display panel. Also disconnected all the plugs on the top (some go to the back case and are already off in this pic).

Then I flipped the whole frame away from me to take out 6 silver screws, 5 on the back and one by the ports. Then it comes off easily and then I flipped the module back towards me so I could work on it. I did not remove the display cable itself as I know those can be sensitive.

Now you will have 4 screws holding the Gsync module and fan to the board, unplug the fan and remove the module out of its slot.

Now take the 4 screws off from the back of the module, very similar to most GPU fan mounts.

Here we find the problem. No contact at all to the fan.

View attachment 172889

But why? You notice the fan is held on by 3 screws, 2 longer silver ones and one shorter black one. The black one is supposed to go over the chip. The silver ones stick out and actually damaged the IHS on my chip from being cranked down on there. It was preventing any contact at all between the IHS and the heatsink/fan.

View attachment 172890

View attachment 172891

View attachment 172892

After switching the screws I repasted it with some noctua paste and reversed all the steps to put it back together. The tape is a little finicky to get on straight again but it only took me maybe 3 minutes to have it back together.

And voila, now the fan can be heard if you concentrate but it isn't any louder than my rig and I certainly can't hear it from the next room like I could out of the box. All this for one tiny little screw that someone put in the wrong spot.
Hey ya bro i got something problem like this but I joined hidden menu and down it speed fan to 45 percent its perfectly sound is gone but my G Sync Cores are 65 to 70 C is it big problem for it ? But when i close pc and open back its going down 30 percent fan speed and my another problem i first time saw it last day Left bottom corner i got like that spot but i dont know what is it i try to clean it outside but it is not from outside i guess inside i have this spots there i must to send it Technical service i guess its a dirt from inside , if you make for us disassembly video for it i never did before monitor disambling . I dont wanna send it Technical service i know they are worst and worst for helpfull. thank you so much.

Attachments

• gsync.jpg
    gsync.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Acer.jpg
    Acer.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1414.jpg
    1414.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1515.jpg
    1515.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 1616.jpg
    1616.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1717.jpg
    1717.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey ya bro i got something problem like this but I joined hidden menu and down it speed fan to %45 its perfectly sound is gone but my G Sync Cores are 65 to 70 C is it big problem for it ? But when i close pc and open back its going down %30 fan speed and my another problem i first time saw it last day Left bottom corner i got like that spot but i dont know what is it i try to clean it outside but it is not from outside i guess inside i have this spots there i must to send it Technical service i guess its a dirt from inside , if you make for us disassembly video for it i never did before monitor disambling . I dont wanna send it Technical service i know they are worst and worst for helpfull. thank you so much.
Okay who puts percent signs in front of the numbers? Might want to try again this reads like a huge run-on sentence.

I found good price for this monitor. Should i buy it ? How is this in 2021 ? Can you guys compare it to LG OLED or other HDR monitors ? The price is really cheap and it's not refurbished or anything. It's cheaper than 27gp950, aw2721d etc.

Not for the faint of heart. But this was my solution to thermals and noisy fan.
I opened it up again and pulled the fan out completely
I purchased a Noctua NF-S12A ULN, Ultra Quiet Silent Fan, 3-Pin 12 volt fan and a power supply to run it Coolerguys 12V Fan Power Supply, Length: 5ft, Input Power: 100-240vAC, Output Power: 12vDC Volts
I drilled holes into the fan to make it vesa compatible (same spacing as the monitor)
And installed it all on a monitor arm and to make it even quitter i used the noctua extra silencer between fan and power supply (only affected thermals by a degree or 2)
Been running it for a year now like this.

An internal solution would be much riskier and requiring soldering etc. This in the end does not change anything about the monitor itself and the old fan can always be put back in.

I get good thermals and its much much quitter, plugging this straight into the wall means fan is always on and will require cleaning periodically or you can put it on some kind of switch.
For the money I spent on the monitor I need it to last me a long time and for me this was the quietest if not the prettiest solution.

Just one more note, when I say remove the internal fan I of course mean just the fan keep the red heatsink installed.
PXL_20220708_190147700.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Guys
Sorry to necro the old thread.
Fan finally decided to die and it is turning on/off and making grinding noises.
But how to dissemble X27? I failed to find any guide.

Last edited:
Dang I forgot about this thread, glad someone got something out of it lol
Thanks man, that was really helpful. The challenging thing now is to get the replacement fan; as there is no stock anywhere (I backordered one from Zandparts and Notebooksolutions), they both told me it requires 4-6 weeks to get in stock :( . Yeah, that's right. I will keep two and one of them is spare, lesson learned.

Need help with my mine. Joystick press doesn't work anymore for some reason. I can't access to OSD. What is the problem any guesses ?

Need help with my mine. Joystick press doesn't work anymore for some reason. I can't access to OSD. What is the problem any guesses ?
Assuming that your question relates to the secret menu, I don't recall joystick press being part of that "key kombination".

Back