How much will Epyc push Xeon Prices down?

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
After my problems with my Ryzen build I have no desire to ever own any amd product again. So i was wondering how much if any do you think it will push Xeon prices down? 10% maybe 15% in a year or none at all?

Reactions: xjfv
like this
What problems did you have? Considering how many people are happy with their Ryzen rig (minus the Agesa/BIOS that are still horribly WIP, and the apparent Linux issue) isn't it still a little premature to write the whole company completely off? Anyway my educated guess is that Intel has been the market leader for so long that some arrogance is bound to sit in. So probably not much, not at first anyway until they notice that AMD is really making a notch in their bottomlines. If that actualy happens, remains to be seen.

Scroll down for pictures
https://hardforum.com/threads/many-blue-screens-with-in-seconds-with-ryzen.1941276/

Its not just the memory problems and it could be i just got bad sticks even tho the memory is on the QVL and the Bio's is running the latest. But the fact that I am getting a green screen for 1 second enough that its really annoying and the fact that I either got bad ram or a bad motherboard at the same time just really pisses me off. New Egg did over night new QVL supported memory with me paying 50% of the overnight fee. I want to see how it goes. If this does not work I will just keep working on my macbook pro and I have been eye balling a Pre built Lenovo about $3,900 I can pick up in a few months and be done. I need my shit to just work.

New memory should be here in a few hours.

dude, youre getting really upset over something really small and fixable. you need to give it a chance and get your ram sorted. see how it goes when the new ram comes then make up your mind. the whole issue you are having may not have anything to do with your ryzen chip, even if the board is bad it not amd's fault. x299 people were having all sorts of issues too so with your thought process you cant buy them either...

ps: if you "just need it to work" buy a high end prebuilt. they are thoroughly tested and you shouldn't have any issues. building you own does not seem to be for you.

no no you just keep trying to use your system with massive memory errors and blame the platform. Bad memory happens not exclusive to AMD or Intel, heck even I had sticks go bad on me, but I dont keep trying to use the system when I know the memory is borked.

I added a BIOS link for your board on the AM4 BIOS update thread. Report back with volts, temps, etc.

Start to finish maybe 4-5 over my life. I'm 36 years old. 1 water cooled. I am going to give the Platform a chance. The new memory is on the fedex truck.

Bad ram happens ALL the time literally. I used to work in IT as a network engineer and we would buy $20,000 + dollar cisco equipment and from time to time it would have a bad dimm in it too. It happens. Not the platform. But if you think its your processor I will straight up trade you my flawless 1700x for your 1800x keke (ok that would not be fair lol)

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Start to finish maybe 4-5 over my life. I'm 36 years old. 1 water cooled. I am going to give the Platform a chance. The new memory is on the fedex truck.

BTW Ultimate Boot CD is your friend when troubleshooting components, its like my swiss army knife. if you had that it would probably only take you minutes to verify not only if you had bad dimms, but which one was bad.

It is going to take a bit of time before Epyc is really a threat to Xeons. Xeons are a known and stable platform. While Epyc is still untested. Bussniess and stuff will be hesiten to upgrade to a unproven platform for their critical systems at least.

After my problems with my Ryzen build I have no desire to ever own any amd product again. So i was wondering how much if any do you think it will push Xeon prices down? 10% maybe 15% in a year or none at all?

None.

Scroll down for pictures
https://hardforum.com/threads/many-blue-screens-with-in-seconds-with-ryzen.1941276/

Its not just the memory problems and it could be i just got bad sticks even tho the memory is on the QVL and the Bio's is running the latest. But the fact that I am getting a green screen for 1 second enough that its really annoying and the fact that I either got bad ram or a bad motherboard at the same time just really pisses me off. New Egg did over night new QVL supported memory with me paying 50% of the overnight fee. I want to see how it goes. If this does not work I will just keep working on my macbook pro and I have been eye balling a Pre built Lenovo about $3,900 I can pick up in a few months and be done. I need my shit to just work.

New memory should be here in a few hours.

Looked like bad memory and/or incompatible memory, I would have told you that in an instant, sucks that you fought it for so long

no no you just keep trying to use your system with massive memory errors and blame the platform. Bad memory happens not exclusive to AMD or Intel, heck even I had sticks go bad on me, but I dont keep trying to use the system when I know the memory is borked.

Simply put, RAM compatibility on all the platforms right now is hit and miss, but X370 is a fucking joke and makes everything else look like the definition of flawless. RAM shouldn't be this hit and miss on any platform. When you've got to go through four or more memory kits to find something that can do more than about 2400MHz on AM4, it gets old real fast. If I had to pay for this RAM or it wasn't provided to me for testing purposes I'd be turned off to the platform too.

I'm hoping X399 is better. X370 was too much like Z270 for my tastes anyway.

Simply put, RAM compatibility on all the platforms right now is hit and miss, but X370 is a fucking joke and makes everything else look like the definition of flawless. RAM shouldn't be this hit and miss on any platform. When you've got to go through four or more memory kits to find something that can do more than about 2400MHz on AM4, it gets old real fast. If I had to pay for this RAM or it wasn't provided to me for testing purposes I'd be turned off to the platform too.

Exactly why I bought an R5 1600 and B350 tomahawk for the entry level. Early adopters=crying a lot of the time. Weak memory subsystem but for the money, meh, OK.

I am sure you have worked on enough systems to run into bad ram and yeah X370 early on was very picky with ram. But I am sure you wouldn't keep trying to install windows and run programs and get pissed off at AMD over bad ram or ram incompatibility, you would just stop using it and wait for the new ram or just try 1 stick and see if that works. I had 2 16GB sticks at launch did not run at anything other then 2400 even tho they are rated for 3200. Now after all the bios updates on the Asus Crosshair it now runs at 3200 speeds, but yeah it took awhile but I didnt try to force the issue. But I am sure on launch day it was nightmare for you trying to find sticks that would run at 3200 speeds, but you were trying to do a review the rest of us just needed to be patient and wait for the updates. No doubt AMD hurried it out the door and likely would have been better to wait a month, it is what it is. If you read his problem thread you would see just how much of it was caused by himself, but I agree the memory support should have been better.

I am sure you have worked on enough systems to run into bad ram and yeah X370 early on was very picky with ram. But I am sure you wouldn't keep trying to install windows and run programs and get pissed off at AMD over bad ram or ram incompatibility, you would just stop using it and wait for the new ram or just try 1 stick and see if that works. I had 2 16GB sticks at launch did not run at anything other then 2400 even tho they are rated for 3200. Now after all the bios updates on the Asus Crosshair it now runs at 3200 speeds, but yeah it took awhile but I didnt try to force the issue. But I am sure on launch day it was nightmare for you trying to find sticks that would run at 3200 speeds, but you were trying to do a review the rest of us just needed to be patient and wait for the updates. No doubt AMD hurried it out the door and likely would have been better to wait a month, it is what it is. If you read his problem thread you would see just how much of it was caused by himself, but I agree the memory support should have been better.

I've actually run into a huge fight with getting GIGABYTE's AX370 Gaming 5 to work. I went through at least four kits of RAM, countless settings, multiple UEFI BIOS versions, and even two physical copies of the board. I eventually got RAM that worked. The thing pissed me off, but once you've logically exhausted everything you can do, it's time to get new RAM, a new motherboard or something. You wait patiently for that shit to arrive and try again.

I'm not going to excuse AMD for the AGESA code fiasco or the motherboard manufacturers for their rushed firmware. X370 should be better than it is today. That said, when you are an early adopter you know what you are signing on for. At this point, I think you can do enough research to figure out what to buy before you click "add to cart."

X399 benefits from being on the newer AGESA at launch if nothing else. Things have gotten better but I agree its been a rough start and they owe us a lot more.

Gigabyte is working on new beta BIOS again for AM4 on the current AGESA (somebody got a link to one for a B350 board) and they also let slip a new AGESA is close to release for their next round of updates

X399 benefits from being on the newer AGESA at launch if nothing else. Things have gotten better but I agree its been a rough start and they owe us a lot more.

Gigabyte is working on new beta BIOS again for AM4 on the current AGESA (somebody got a link to one for a B350 board) and they also let slip a new AGESA is close to release for their next round of updates

Newer AGESA code isn't always better. In some cases older versions yielded better memory compatibility. That said, they've had some time to get this one right.

Back