How much heat does the average projector output? Is it more than a gaming pc ?

It depends on the tech, but I think more than anything it's just really concentrated around the light source.

A halogen bulb will put out anywhere from 100-400w of heat (maybe more in larger or brighter projectors), depending on the rating of the bulb. An LED lamp will put out similar amounts of heat (maybe a bit less), but it'll be much more concentrated (so higher cooling requirements per watt output)

Watts are a term that can be related directly to heat.

many projectors have ~250 watt bulbs.

probabably most PCs idle around 50 watts, and in game use about 100 watts + graphics card power use. (Say total 175-350 watts for most systems in game)

The projector is going to generally add more heat to the room. In a big room you’ll not notice it. In a small bedroom you might. Think of it like a very small space heater.

Last edited:
Watts are a term that can be related directly to heat.

many projectors have ~250 watt bulbs.

probabably most PCs idle around 50 watts, and in game use about 100 watts + graphics card power use. (Say total 175-350 watts for most systems in game)

The projector is going to generally add more heat to the room. In a big room you’ll not notice it. In a small bedroom you would. Think of it like a very small space heater.

Anyway to prevent the extra heat in a small or big room ? Other than a portable or window ac ?

Anyway to prevent the extra heat in a small or big room ? Other than a portable or window ac ?
You could vent it...that's about the only other option unless the projector is in an entirely separate room.

Most projectors have an eco mode which saves of about 20% light output, which would reduce heat and energy consumption. What is your use case? I can’t imagine that a projector is going to significantly heat any room it is used in much more than a HDTV, game console, or PC. It would take hours to raise the temperature in a small room even a couple degrees. I mean we used to use 60 watt light bulbs. Lots of rooms had three 60 watt light bulbs (180 watts) and you never thought - I better not use the lights or it’ll get hot in here. I suspect you are worried about nothing, unless your room is very small or doesn’t have HVAC service.

Last edited:
Most projectors have an eco mode which saves of about 20% light output, which would reduce heat and energy consumption. What is your use case? I can’t imagine that a projector is going to significantly heat any room it is used in much more than a HDTV, game console, or PC. It would take hours to raise the temperature in a small room even a couple degrees. I mean we used to use 60 watt light bulbs. Lots of rooms had three 60 watt light bulbs (180 watts) and you never thought - I better not use the lights or it’ll get hot in here. I suspect you are worried about nothing.
I have, but I really don't like being hot. It's more noticeable when the AC is off or set high, especially with no fan running. Not as bad as 4-6 120w bulbs in a vanity light fixture, but still noticeable.

Back