How many SSD drives have you purchased?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Recently bought two more 2TB drives just so I could have more space after ditching my HDDs.

but I purchased 9 drives total which you would think surly would be enough the problem remains lack of Sata ports mainly 6 on most boards.,
Some boards have 8 or you could buy an adapter. The low capacity of SSD drives it the main problem 256 was about good as it would get back in 2014.

x2 256 gig drives not using as backup drives not connected to my PC
x1 500 gig drive for my WIN OS
x4 1TB drives you would think this would be enough I mean 1TB is pretty big right unless you have COD MW installed.
x2 2 TB drives which are pretty nice only have one installed one is in the mail.

I just couldn't spurge for those 4TB drives I mean they are still about 450.00 for one drive
which is the price of a really good motherboard or top of the line Intel Chip

The thing that really ticks me off I spent the same amount of money on those 256 gig drives for those 1TB drives.
Back then 1TB drives were the price of the 4TB drives today. I purchased a 256 gig drive for one game back in 2011 which was Planetside 2.
loads times were like more then a minute with a regular HDD.

I have bought around the same number. Although, I am down to 500gb in even my gaming rig as I've given most drives away to family as I can sympathize with someone who has a spinner lol

I just install 2 or 3 games at a time and when I finish them, I uninstall.

The drives you gave away all low capacity?

Update canceled the order for my 2TB drive just isnt' worth it I mean replacing 1TB with a 2TB only gaining 1TB. I mean if the 4TB drives came down in price I would all over those.

Last edited:

Update canceled the order for my 2TB drive just isnt' worth it I mean replacing 1TB with a 2TB only gaining 1TB.
I mean if the 4TB drives came down in price I would all over those.
All 500gb drives.

All Samsung's. Either 840evo/pro or 850evo/pro

Did a rough "in my head" count this morning and came up with about 16 just for me, plus a few more for family and friends. Most are low capacity (120-256GB) drives of one sort or another for systems that won't see many programs or user data installed on them (Boinc machines, HTPCs, my file server and pfSense router). Only my main rig has the heavy hand of flash capacity going for it. I still rock the rust for bulk storage on the server and backups.

Best purchases were the 900p and Fusion ioDrive, worst was the Intel 330. Loved how the 330 would just lock up the system for 30 seconds or more at random.

I think I've bought 9 for myself, 3 for others. The first one was an Intel 80GB in 2008. Most of them were average to fairly large for the time with the exception of the 500GB M.2, which is the boot drive in my file server. Only one failure so far, and of course it was the Samsung I bought dad for Christmas years ago.

2.5" SATA - 80GB, 2x 128GB, 250GB, 500GB, 1TB
M.2 SATA - 250GB
M.2 PCIe - 500GB, 3x 1TB, 2TB*

*On Order. Decided I needed a games drive after installing CoD: Cold War. It's nearly 150GB with the 4k texture pack.

Probably 35 or more varying in size depending upon their use case. I refurb laptops for a little extra cash and always replace the spinners to speed them them up and reduce power consumption to offset the faster cpu I add when possible.

I've bought maybe 9 or 10. I have 4 in use in my rig and my old one in my moms old Dell laptop. She lost her 1TB Toshiba HDD in exchange for a 120GB Intel 520. I paid like 265 for that drive.. I paid 150 for my 1TB SN750 lol. Things have come a long way.

I've owned a 64GB G.Skill, it was their first SSD I believe. I owned a 64GB WD Blue, 120GB first gen Revodrive that thing was insane for its time, 120GB Intel 520, 256 Crucial M4 that shit itself during a reboot or power up never to be used again, 2x Intel 545S, SN750 500GB, SN750 1TB, and I know I am missing one. Don't remember what it was.. dammit. But that G.Skill SSD replaced 3x Raptor 150s that I had in R0.. it was intense lol. But that's going waay back..

And I might buy another one today.. cant decide if I want a sata drive or if I want a PCIE adaptor and another NVME. I have two other computers I can put in service for my kids, so they will get my 545S's. As much as I would like to try a new HDD, I have turned into a snob and not sure if I can bring myself to do it. I have 2.5TB of HDD space in my pc already, but they are not spinning until I want to back up some stuff.

Gotta be 9 or 10 at this point, starting with the 80GB X-25M back in 2010?

You guys aren't real [H]. I bought 12 just in the second half of 2020. 26 total purchased.
1610993018234.png

I expect close to 30 starting with the Intel G1 40GB I purchased for home in 2009 however 2/3 of these were work purchases or purchases for a family member.

Last edited:
I think I waited a while until I got my first SSD. I think it was a 240gb crucial sata ssd? Since then, I've probably bought 6 more drives. The latest two are 2 1TB nvme m.2 drives from XPG.
I installed Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War, Modern Warfare, and Warzone and one of them and instantly lost around 300GB of room.

edit: went through my email and found the receipt for that crucial drive. It was a crucial M500 (240gb) in 2014. Cost $120CAD. Haha, spent $149CAD for the XPG 1TB drive.

I have these just sitting around.
Probably going to slap that 128GB Crucial into my HP 23" touchscreen PC since the 1TB spinner is kinda slow.
IMG_0513.JPEG

Over the holidays, I switched to all NVMe and SSD in my PC: 1TB 970 Pro NVMe, 2TB 970 Evo NVMe, 4TB 860 Evo SSD. I bought a couple of 8TB external Lacie drives for storage/backups and am quite pleased with how it's worked out.

Hmm, in my old box I had
8x Samsung 128gb 830’s
12x intel 120gb 520’s
8x HDD 2TB

current system (all gen 4)
2x 1Tb seagate 520 NVME
4X 2Tb Phison 2TB (Gigabyte, Corsair Mp600, PNY)
room for 6 more NVME (y)

Uhhh.
Starting with a 120GB near first gen intel SSD, then hell if I can even remember everything after that.
I think I've had 3 more 2.5inch SSDs, 240GB, 512GB and 1GB sounds about right.
I know I've had 7 or 8 NVME SSDs, starting with an ADATA SX8000 that wasn't stable at all and I eventually tossed after too much data corruption.

I have four in my current system, two in my wives system, both of our laptops are using NVME boot drives. I have one spare that's gonna be turned into my future media server boot disk...

At least 17 that I can remember and probably a couple more bought for others. Probably 11 TB or a bit more, total. I think 6 are NVMe and the rest are SATA. Five MX500's and the rest are a mix from a 970 Pro down to a no-name 128GB 2.5" unit.

Since SSD's came out? Sheesh. Over a dozen I'm sure, for various computers. No idea. I only have one computer left with a spinning drive as a boot drive, and that's on purpose.

I don't have an exact number of total purchased for myself and friends/family but for just myself....

1x16gb craptastic ssd for the pfsense box
1x 32gb SLC intel
2x 60gb MLC sandisk (both died within 2yr)
2x 80gb MLC intel
3x 240gb MLC intel
5x 256gb MLC various (one was an old crucial m4 that required a fw update to stop disappearing every few restarts)
1x 1.2tb MLC FusionIO
2x 2tb TLC ADATA
3x 1tb TLC silicon power
3x 1tb TLC NVME sabrent
1x 512gb TLC NVME intel

Most of them started life as a boot drive but now live in a drive bender array for storage of everything that isn't a video file. The FisionIO drive is a cache drive (primocache ftw) for the hard drive array and works beautifully.

PNY CS3030 1TB nvme - PC
WD SN750 500GB nvme - HTPC
HP EX920 500GB nvme - Laptop
TF Vulcan 500GB sata - PS3
Crucial MX200 500GB sata - Old PC
Samsung 840 pro 250GB sata - Old HTPC
HP M700 240GB - Old Laptop
SKHynix SL308 250GB - Old PS3 - Died at 2yrs

Update canceled the order for my 2TB drive just isnt' worth it I mean replacing 1TB with a 2TB only gaining 1TB. I mean if the 4TB drives came down in price I would all over those.
You missed the part where you keep your 1TB drive installed and have a total of 3TB.

Personally owned ssd's

32 gb zif ssd mtron
64 gb zif ssd samsung
128 gb sata ssd crucial c300 (still have)
240 gb sata ssd corsair
500 gb sata ssd mx200 (still have)
intel 1.2 tb 750
samsung 1 tb 860
samsung 500 850 pro (still have)
hgst 1.6 tb sn260
intel 1.6 tb p3700 (still have)
1tb samsung pm961 (still have)
1tb samsung pm961 (still have)
1 tb premium inland (still have)

I'm probably missing a few, but this is definitely most of them

I've bought like 2 loose spinning rust disks during this time.

Wheres the OCZ/Indilinx/jMicron early SSD love/(hate)?

I had an OCZ Vertex 2 64gb (0 issues)
Intel X25-M G2 80GB
Kingston V100 (Intel X25-V) 40GB (damnit erek)
Kingston HyperX 120GB (SandForce II, died once due to a power outage, they RMA Fedex expressed a replacement)
Seagate 600 240GB
Intel 730 240GB
Intel 545 512GB (thanks erek)

Wheres the OCZ/Indilinx/jMicron early SSD love/(hate)?

I had an OCZ Vertex 2 64gb (0 issues)
Intel X25-M G2 80GB
Kingston V100 (Intel X25-V) 40GB (damnit erek)
Kingston HyperX 120GB (SandForce II, died once due to a power outage, they RMA Fedex expressed a replacement)
Seagate 600 240GB
Intel 730 240GB
Intel 545 512GB (thanks erek)
Despite the glaring flaw (can't remember what it was, it was so long ago) that required a "might erase your data" firmware update, I still have, use, and love my Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 120 and Agility 3 240s.

Jmicron was always hot garbage.

OCZ had some good stuff and some terrible stuff, those ended up good for me. Sandforce, I know, was bought out after the 2200 series successes, but never produced another chip that went anywhere. IIRC there was a 3000 series but it was so far behind it was canceled in the end, and that's the last I ever heard from the company.

The first six drives are solid state. 2tb Sabrent NVME, three 4tb 860 pro, two 1tb 850 evo

Un098titled.jpg

All my SSD's / NVME's are Samsung and roughly bought in this order...

1. Samsung 840 256GB (had this running Windows 7 in the day on my Q6600 PC)
2. Samsung 840 EVO 500GB (Still in use today on my Wife's PC)
3. Samsung 850 EVO 1TB (Use this as my imaged drive now for regular backups)
4. Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (Secondary on Gaming PC for VMs)
5. Samsung 970 EVO NVME PCIe 3.0 1TB (gaming PC)

I still store all my backup files on a platter drive though that is 8TB. They may suck for gaming anymore, but they are still great, cheap and reliable for archiving things.

Wow, I have bought a ton, roughly 25 throughout the years starting with 32 gb ocz drive. I have really only had 2 out right die i think both ADATA ones. I think I might be missing something though as I only currently have one in all machines 5x in house (nvme 512gb, and 1tb drives inland pros) and then still have mechanical for large storage drives mainly WD Reds 8tb (5x), 3tb 2x in kids gaming pc. I guess I have not really used sata expansion cards or mobos with more than 4x stat connectors though.

Did a rough "in my head" count this morning and came up with about 16 just for me, plus a few more for family and friends. Most are low capacity (120-256GB) drives of one sort or another for systems that won't see many programs or user data installed on them (Boinc machines, HTPCs, my file server and pfSense router). Only my main rig has the heavy hand of flash capacity going for it. I still rock the rust for bulk storage on the server and backups.

Best purchases were the 900p and Fusion ioDrive, worst was the Intel 330. Loved how the 330 would just lock up the system for 30 seconds or more at random.
I couldn't be happier with my 280GB Optane 900P. Solid purchase at the time. It came with a code for an in game ship for Star Citizen that I sold for $115. I wish I had purchased more honestly.

Starting from who knows when:

240GB OCZ Vertex 3 MLC
960GB Sandisk Pro MLC
HP EX920 NVMe 1TB
Crucal P1 500GB
Silicon Power A80 1TB
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB
Two Samsung 860 Evo 2TB
Numerous Crucial MX500 or Adata SU650s for friends and family upgrades.

Personally, in my house it's a 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 boot drive on my PC, along with an engineering sample 2TB Intel U.2 NVMe SSD that was never actually released to the general public. I had some 1TB Samsung 850 EVOs prior to that, along with a 25X GB 840 Pro drive to boot from.
In my server it's a pair of 120GB SSDs to boot from, and another of the Intel 2TB units.
Wife's PC has a Samsung 850 PRO 1TB. Arcade, HTPC, and laptop all run Samsung 850/860 EVO 250GB drives.

Now then, if we want to talk about drives purchased and I include for work (I build servers), then it's at least 300+ SSDs from 1TB to 8TB in size :)

I've purchased and owned about 20-30 HDDs since I bought that first 1 or 2GB IDE Maxtor, I think. I was also a victim of the infamous IBM Deathstar (which failed almost exactly 1 year after purchase). My latest hard drive purchase is probably the one I'm most exicted about - a 2TB XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. It will be fast as t*ts as soon as I install it in the Asus z490-E MB I'm waiting on. Vroom vroom (y) Also looking forward to removing all those 128-256GB SSDs I've had in my box over the years.

None so far, lol, only used spinners my whole PC life. Closest I used a 1TB hybrid drive with 8GB flash cache.
Planning buying a 2TB NVME to use in the 2nd m.2 slot of a laptop I'm getting. A Micro Center brand for $185.

Reactions: hmz
like this
Back