How many generations of CPU for the X670 chipset motherboards

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering. I don't want to spend all this money for a new mboard, CPU, and RAM, only to find out a few years later that there is no CPU upgrade.

They said they will support AM5 until 2025+, so I would guess maybe 3 gens. Hard to say 100% as it is dependant on AMD and what they release for the socket.

iirc, they usually stick to a socket for 5+ years and 3-4 chip series. im hoping for the same here.

I would say it depends more on how well Intel is competing and if AMD can make AM5 socket last longer for competitive CPUs. There is another consideration, AIBs may prefer more frequent socket changes in order to sell more motherboards, then again a longer run motherboard run by an AIB makes it cheaper for them to produce, simplifies their lineup. New chipsets for AM5 gives AIBs options for newer motherboards while the old ones are still sellable, less of an inventory issue. Now what is the alternative? Intel which normally have 2 processors per chipset/socket? Even AMD did worse with TRX40 having only one generation of CPU for that chipset.

I would say it depends more on how well Intel is competing and if AMD can make AM5 socket last longer for competitive CPUs. There is another consideration, AIBs may prefer more frequent socket changes in order to sell more motherboards, then again a longer run motherboard run by an AIB makes it cheaper for them to produce, simplifies their lineup. New chipsets for AM5 gives AIBs options for newer motherboards while the old ones are still sellable, less of an inventory issue. Now what is the alternative? Intel which normally have 2 processors per chipset/socket? Even AMD did worse with TRX40 having only one generation of CPU for that chipset.
The first point makes sense for general consumer grade hardware. The last point about the TRX40, while disappointing, is such a small market of prosumer customers, that I would give them a pass.

I think at least some of the issue with the backlash against Intel comes from changing the platform requirements while reusing the same socket in their consumer grade lineups. This is why there are Chinese motherboards with custom BIOS that will accept 3 - 4 generations of Intel CPUs that one could argue Intel artificially segmented for reasons...

The first point makes sense for general consumer grade hardware. The last point about the TRX40, while disappointing, is such a small market of prosumer customers, that I would give them a pass.

I think at least some of the issue with the backlash against Intel comes from changing the platform requirements while reusing the same socket in their consumer grade lineups. This is why there are Chinese motherboards with custom BIOS that will accept 3 - 4 generations of Intel CPUs that one could argue Intel artificially segmented for reasons...
Yep, Intel makes money as well from selling chipsets, WiFi, ethernet and previously motherboards, Optane, SSDs etc. Seems like a good incentive to force updates more than just the CPU. Also consider the huge in the past OEM market that had the same incentive for newer faster PCs were less upgrading potential also meant more sells of Intel systems. AMD mostly used Asmedia to make the AM4 chipsets, x570 was by AMD but also licensed out for others to make is my understanding. In other words no real incentive for AMD not to keep the same socket simplifying their CPU progression since they had little to sell or gain on forcing a new motherboard purchase, also almost no OEM support. If people already have a motherboard that will support your new CPU, it is a easier sell and where AMD is making their money. Anyways a very good strategy it appears, now AMD probably wants a shorter time period for AM5 compared to AM4. Committing to a longer time period also ties up what they can do in the future. Does not mean AM5 won't last as long as AM4 did, just that it has a shorter promise of support which could be extended. Keeping the chipset/socket longer I would expect makes the software/drivers/firmware also much easier.

Last edited:
As the OP, I have been wondering whether or not to upgrade to an AM5-based board soon. in May 2020, I upgraded to an ASUS ROG Strix-E with 3900x CPU and 32 GB of RAM. Normally my upgrade cycles are about 5 years, but I'm a big annoyed with myself that I got a motherboard with limited CPU upgrade potential.

Out of curiousity, if you upgrade just your CPU, but keep the motherboard, RAM and cooler, what do you do with the old CPU?

As the OP, I have been wondering whether or not to upgrade to an AM5-based board soon. in May 2020, I upgraded to an ASUS ROG Strix-E with 3900x CPU and 32 GB of RAM. Normally my upgrade cycles are about 5 years, but I'm a big annoyed with myself that I got a motherboard with limited CPU upgrade potential.

Out of curiousity, if you upgrade just your CPU, but keep the motherboard, RAM and cooler, what do you do with the old CPU?
Sell it for some cash to help offset the upgrade cost or do the dumb thing that I always do and build another computer because why not?

Sell it for some cash to help offset the upgrade cost or do the dumb thing that I always do and build another computer because why not?
Where do you sell it? How much do you need to discount the chip off the current list price for a new CPU?

Where do you sell it? How much do you need to discount the chip off the current list price for a new CPU?
I mostly sell to friends or on here. You can get a relative idea for pricing by browsing the For Sale / Trade sub forum: https://hardforum.com/forums/for-sale-trade.17/

I have purchased a bunch of stuff on here and through the HardwareSwap subreddit https://old.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap (though I don't recall selling anything there), but it can also be a useful gauge of current interest and/or pricing.

Last, but not least, there's always EBay. I rarely sell anything there, but I do buy things from time to time and there is historical pricing data.

I mostly sell to friends or on here. You can get a relative idea for pricing by browsing the For Sale / Trade sub forum: https://hardforum.com/forums/for-sale-trade.17/

I have purchased a bunch of stuff on here and through the HardwareSwap subreddit https://old.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap (though I don't recall selling anything there), but it can also be a useful gauge of current interest and/or pricing.

Last, but not least, there's always EBay. I rarely sell anything there, but I do buy things from time to time and there is historical pricing data.
Thanks. This will help me get started.

I used to like eBay, but no more. Too many scammer buyers and sellers.

My guess is two generations on X670, maybe with a .5 revision generation thrown in somewhere (like the 5800x3d). Reason being that the release cadence for everything seems to have slowed in the wake of 2020 and global supply chain problems.

I was awfully salty about X399 until I realized TRX40 owners were being dealt an even worse hand. To AMD's credit, the X399 platform is still plenty capable 4 years on so there's that.

Reactions: noko
like this
My guess is two generations on X670, maybe with a .5 revision generation thrown in somewhere (like the 5800x3d). Reason being that the release cadence for everything seems to have slowed in the wake of 2020 and global supply chain problems.

I was awfully salty about X399 until I realized TRX40 owners were being dealt an even worse hand. To AMD's credit, the X399 platform is still plenty capable 4 years on so there's that.
Didn't they mention in one of their press releases that a 3D cache lineup was coming sometime after the initial launch? I would guess they are taking the time to bin some chips for that due to the potential heat dissipation issues or have they resolved that this time around? I suppose it would also take extra manufacturing time to make the 3D cache stacked versions.

The AM4 socket made it through Zen, Zen+, Zen 2 and Zen 3. I'd expect similar longevity out of AM5. You can certainly expect more than two generations as I'm sure AMD does not want to be associated with all the hate Intel has continued to receive for well over a dozen years by switching sockets with every second generation.

The hate presently directed at AMD for AM5 on being an expensive platform is the total lack of low-end "B" series boards and semi-reasonably priced X series.

Personally, I'm going to wait for 2nd gen AM5. On AM4, the most versatile chipset was probably the X470/B450 over the life of the socket and supported the most CPUs as well as fixing bugs, so recent history suggests that the next gen will be better.

Just wondering. I don't want to spend all this money for a new mboard, CPU, and RAM, only to find out a few years later that there is no CPU upgrade.
Assume, unless there is a signed contract attesting otherwise, that you will get only 1 generation of support and anything beyond that is a surprise bonus.

This is tech. You could get 4 generations of support. Or, it could be kicked to the curb 12 months from now.

Three maybe since they opted to follow the Intel approach to clock the crap outta the out of the silicon right out of the gate. 5.0 Ghz 3D chips would be all that we'd need to rock on for a couple years into the future.

Back