How does Win 10 use the internet when it has 2 different sources (usb tethering or Wifi)

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
As in if neither option is super great can it use both to increase bandwidth? Or should i just disable wifi or disconnect to for it to use the usb tether over my phone? the wifi would be using the motels internet and not from my phone. Is the OS smart enough to use the faster option?

You should be smart enough to test which one is faster and disable the other one.

Don't know about Win 10 , but previous versions of Win seem to have a bad habit of trying to use the worse connection if given a choice.

Win 10 favors the fastest "connection" meaning the line rate rather than actual internet speed, a wired 1000 connection will take priority over a LTE/4g usb tether or a wireless connection.
Or in the case of the two options the wireless will take precedence because its a non-metered connection.
You cant use both to increase bandwidth unless you have a 3rd party program to manage that (not worth it overall).

If its a decent hotel so is the internet, they likely are throttling you though is why it seems slow.
Your best bet is to disconnect whichever connection you're not using.

Win 10 favors the fastest "connection" meaning the line rate rather than actual internet speed, a wired 1000 connection will take priority over a LTE/4g usb tether or a wireless connection.
Or in the case of the two options the wireless will take precedence because its a non-metered connection.
You cant use both to increase bandwidth unless you have a 3rd party program to manage that (not worth it overall).

If its a decent hotel so is the internet, they likely are throttling you though is why it seems slow.

this

Alternatively, one could manually set each Network Interface Metric from its "Auto" default value to an appropriate value giving one priority over the other.

However, given the temporary nature of hotel internet, I'd go with the original suggestion.

thanks...i guess windows thinks my usb tether is an Ethernet connection so it appears to default to it when running speed tests...i was just wondering if it was doing anything at all by being connected to both...(aside from keeping internet active when i unplug my phone.)

I generally use wifi to tether my device so I'm not sure how it normally reacts, sounds reasonable though.
Keeping connected would act as a backup though if the tether ever shutoff or otherwise would be the only real benefit.

I generally use wifi to tether my device so I'm not sure how it normally reacts, sounds reasonable though.
Keeping connected would act as a backup though if the tether ever shutoff or otherwise would be the only real benefit.
In theory. In my experience Windows won't fail over if the connection is just slow/laggy - it will only do so if the connection is broken (i.e. the wire unplugged or WiFi signal lost entirely)

In theory. In my experience Windows won't fail over if the connection is just slow/laggy - it will only do so if the connection is broken (i.e. the wire unplugged or WiFi signal lost entirely)
Correct, the situation I was referring was if the device he used to tether came unplugged or had some kind of cell signal issue and dropped connection all together.

Back