How does Ryzen 3900X game while at 100% CPU usage on all the cores? Over 100fps?

noko

Supreme [H]ardness
Pretty damn good to my surprised and yes. Never had any processor able to do this, not even close, usually when CPU is at 100% everything else seems slow, stutters, skips etc. Not with Ryzen 3!.

I started to play Wolfenstein Youngblood, never notice that I did not stopped mining Monero, which uses RandomX a highly CPU optimized algorithm.

When mining Monero with RandomX, it pushes the CPU to temperature just as high as Prime95 Small FFT setting, around 85C. My rig does around 65C Prime95 Blend.

Ryzen 3900X rig is in sig and I decided to do a short run and video with game play with 100% CPU usage due to mining. Awesome Miner software is being used to configure Monero mining and priority is set to Low. Wolfenstein is at default priority or Normal. AMD drivers 19.12.3 with Auto undervolt only selected which means fan curves are at default and everything else dealing with clocks. When OCing with this game, FPS get way above the FreeSync range and was not needed. Game video settings are in the video, most are maxed out with a few exceptions. Uber setting for game monitoring ingame was used:

MoneroMining.png

That isn't all that surprising since the priority for mining is set to low. Theoretically, you would see the same thing with any processor. Ryzen 3 is definitely good at RandomX mining though.

What is auto undervolt? BIOS setting?
That is for the Radeon 5700 XT In the drivers. It puts the GPU at 1151mv vice the normal 1200mv.

The CPU is pretty much at default settings. DDR4 memory is OC to 3800mhz with some timing tweaks.

That isn't all that surprising since the priority for mining is set to low. Theoretically, you would see the same thing with any processor. Ryzen 3 is definitely good at RandomX mining though.
I've never seen any processor be at 100% load and then run a game virtually flawlessly or point where I did not notice. Would be good if I also tried out different programs as well. Could be RandomX in how it uses the CPU does not conflict much with Vulkan or Wolfenstein.

The CPU can only limit max fps, it will not allow a GPU to run faster than its max.
At best it will let the GPU run at max speed, the max fps depends on the game and res used.

I've never seen any processor be at 100% load and then run a game virtually flawlessly or point where I did not notice. Would be good if I also tried out different programs as well. Could be RandomX in how it uses the CPU does not conflict much with Vulkan or Wolfenstein.

H265 even in low pri will bitch slap.a 3900x while gaming. It bitch slaps my 3960x while gaming so I avoid gaming while encoding h265.

H265 even in low pri will bitch slap.a 3900x while gaming. It bitch slaps my 3960x while gaming so I avoid gaming while encoding h265.
Edit: Need coffee.

Did you try this under win or linux? I've had great luck with re-nicing under linux...Setting stuff low priority generally works well.

Looks like it depends on the application, I tried Prime95 balance torture test and Wolfenstein Youngblood. I still had consistent over 60fps by indications, 100% CPU load, Prime95 took a whooping 27gb of ram. Definitely affecting the game performance. While the FPS looked good the game did not feel smooth, no clear hitching or pausing but frame times must have been all over the place. I almost finished a session that way, about 15min worth but computer crashed. To me that is about the worst case scenario, if I freed up a few cores I would probably be able to game without issue.

Once folks have many cores, these types of scenarios, doing intensive other tasks while like gaming would seem to be more normal. Why in the hell would someone buy a 32 core part unless they were going to actually use those cores? Presently it is profitable to mine Monero with a CPU, no big money here unless you have many CPUs, cost of electricity even in the US is much less than what your making. Probably not a long term solution to use the cores but serious other stuff should be able to be used. No one is actually testing this way in reviews sadily. I wish reviewers think beyond single application performance testing where that will most likely not be the way the user will be using those huge number of cores.

For H265 stuff, that looks like a scenario where you render limiting the number of cores used. Another aspect not reviewed by anyone in how to do certain tasks and not lock up your computer where you can't do anything else.

Edit: Need coffee.

Did you try this under win or linux? I've had great luck with re-nicing under linux...Setting stuff low priority generally works well.

Win, it's the massive amount of cache hits that the codec does. It consumes every bit available.

Back