How do you feel about fighting games?

the new killer instinct is bug filled low budget garbage street fighter 4 rip off and has nothing to do with the rareware games at all.

Hmm , KI 2014 was Supervised by Ken Lobb ,the Creator of Killer Instinct / Jago / "Godfather of Killer Instinct". Worked at Rare for many years.

Yep, nothing to do at all with Rareware. :rolleyes:

In general, I'm not a huge figher fan. If I do play any fighting games though, it's usually from SNK or Capcom. My absolute favorite is Vampire Savior. Next up is Samurai Shodown II. Street Fighter - while I respect the series - is not my favorite.

I used to play a lot of Karate Champ, then SF. I loved those games. Then MK came and changed everything. It was cool for a little bit, then MK2 came out and improvement heavily on that. Then MK3 was released and oh boy was it the best game in the universe. I had to skip plenty of FPS for the MK series. DOS version is still the best - better than UMK3 imo.

I couldn't stop playing MK3 (and WarCraft 2) right until to the point when Quake 3 was released and offered a level of competition that no fighting game can match. I am not saying this lightly - I still follow MK tournaments and think the latest one is amazing. Sadly they insulted the PC crowd with a 2 year delay. Never gonna get my money this way, Ed.

What I always found odd is the popularity of crap such as Tekken or Soul Calibur. Virtual Fighter games were pretty good, though I just couldn't get into them. Too slow and clunky for my taste.

I used to play a lot of Karate Champ, then SF. I loved those games. Then MK came and changed everything. It was cool for a little bit, then MK2 came out and improvement heavily on that. Then MK3 was released and oh boy was it the best game in the universe. I had to skip plenty of FPS for the MK series. DOS version is still the best - better than UMK3 imo.

I couldn't stop playing MK3 (and WarCraft 2) right until to the point when Quake 3 was released and offered a level of competition that no fighting game can match. I am not saying this lightly - I still follow MK tournaments and think the latest one is amazing. Sadly they insulted the PC crowd with a 2 year delay. Never gonna get my money this way, Ed.

What I always found odd is the popularity of crap such as Tekken or Soul Calibur. Virtual Fighter games were pretty good, though I just couldn't get into them. Too slow and clunky for my taste.

What, you no likey the moon physics of Virtua Fighter? :) I can't stand Tekken. Soul Calibur is alright - I had that for Dreamcast. Haven't played any of the later ones though.

Samurai Shodown and Virtua Fighter is all I need. A new Virtua Fighter would make me sooooooooooo happy.
I like to think about what a new SVC Chaos could look like... if only..... RIP SNK

I still play the old ones like SF alpha - alpha 3. Don't really like the new ones with how the invincibility frames are and how the engine is catered towards lag compensation online.

Offline a game like UMVC3 is the most fun I have gaming anymore. It just as fun to watch the pro's go at it as well. Check out http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky if you want to see some pro's playing all the major games today down in Atlanta.
Yea twitch.tv opened me up to a lot of higher quality play in Fighting games. It's nice to have another option besides youtube for competitive play.

^ salt as f
Agreed, hell yea, lol. I would have to go to youtube to find a more uninformed opinion than his.

The fact that the new KI game isn't like the old one is the best thing that could have ever happened to it. The old KI games were some of the worst competitive fighting games of all time. Shovelware games like Primal Rage, Time Killers, and Bloodstorm were better. The new one takes the few concepts from the old games that worked and improved upon them 10-fold. Other than character selection, there isn't a single thing about the old KI games that is better than the new game.

I do think the genre is getting a little stale, but it's a catch 22. You can't depart from your formula too much or you'll lose the diehards. At the same time, while different at high levels...games like SF4 and Tekken 6 are essentially doing the exact same things that the old games did. There are just more characters and moves with better rendering. Yes, I'm *fully* aware there's more to it than that, but on the surface, they truly are very similar.

I would like to see someone take their franchise in a brave new direction. IMO, Tekken is probably the most likely candidate. SF4 is still considered the top dog of the genre so there isn't much reason for Capcom do it. At the same time, Namco has seen the last few Tekken games flounder. Tekken 6, Tag 2, and Revolution have seen their audience all but disappear. It was too much, too soon and the new characters just don't fit. Of my hardcore Tekken friends from the late 90's I don't know anyone who still plays regularly.

Great post. I enjoyed it. I agreed with most of it. KI has bugs like any other game but I've seen worse. it's just funny how [H] members get all irritated from the sand in their vaginas while complaining about buggy console games. Like that isn't a day to day thing with PC games.

Fighting games have expanded quite a lot and due to the complexity and quantity of all of them, I can't see how people can throw around sweeping statements about the whole industry. If you haven't kept up with the fighting game scene, you really have no credibility to offer such an opinion on the matter. Because how the fuck are you supposed to know what has been going on and what mechanics have came to the scene, if you are not in the scene?

Yes you can casual game like you always did. And yes there are online players that will beat the motivation out of you using their $100 joysticks and shit. Deal with it. Life is hard. Believe it or not, there are dudes out there with bigger dicks than you. Don't hate on em, just let them have their fun and you have your fun.

if anyone wants to get into some KI matches. I'm not that good. But I'm an entertaining player. inbox me for gamertag.

I think the 'vocal' online community as a whole is typically a bunch of elitist dicks ([cough] majority of Shoryuken and it's forums [cough]).

I miss arcades. Arcades had the best communities for fighting games.

Capcom is a lazy ass developer now and they didn't use to be. I'm still waiting on them to HD-ify Zero 3 and CvS2 and re-re-release them for $10-$15 a piece (and admittedly I'd be throwing up digital money to buy them on day 1). Otherwise, I'm still pissed at Capcom for MvC3...and then UMvC3....and all the busted promises of DLC that ended up amounting to shit.

I can casually play Tekken (loved TTT), I can manage with Soul Edge/Calibur but it's not a favorite. Liked VF but that game is very hard to get into and very hard to get anywhere unless you spend a lot of time on it.

All in all I'm probably a fan of the Vs. series the most nowadays....don't really care much for SF4 but love HD Remix because it's damn near perfect.

I miss (GOOD) SNK. The Capcom / SNK rivalry of the 90s/2000s was something I will never forget.
Whatever happened to the guys that made KOF '97 and SamSho 2 and Last Blade 2 and Garou?
Similar with Capcom...where's the Zero 2 Dash / Zero 3, Vampire Savior and Rival Schools guys? :(

For the most part, I'm a 2D fighter fan. I can deal with some 3D fighters, but 2D fighters were the best for me, bar none.

'I really dont give a rats ass about the" fighting game scene"(or what ever they call them) or anybody in it or this "competitive play" I rather play with dudes across i know or AI until i am sick of the game. I could care less if i win or lose at any game

or random dudes at the arcade (that are dead now) play once and never saw them again most of the time did not talk to the dudes at the arcade either..

I am not a part of it and never will be though i own tons of fighting games.

in fact it did not even know they existed until about a year ago when i found about them on accident and i could care less about the tournaments they run or who is playing in them.

this "shoryken.com" place is where they go now? never been there

i dont give a ratsass about the starcraft tournaments in asia or where ever it is either and i play starcraft a lot of it and quake and unreal tornament and i dont care who wins or loses at quake con (including me) and i dont watch it..

Last edited:
I want to like the new Tekkens, but they're just too over the top. It's almost like they developed 6 and TTT2 with the philosophy of "more, more, more, more!"
Every cast member now has as many moves as Nina at her peak. Juggles are now ridiculously long and have built in reset/rebounce mix-ups that make them even longer. Too many moves look the same and are simply frame data variations or combo extenders.
What ended up happening is that they made the ultimate desert island games, but you end up having to memorize (literally) about 8,000 moves just to be effective at blocking...let alone the execution needed to play offensively. It's just too much. You can either mash like crazy with Leo and Lili...or you can spend a ton of time learning a massive game that people stopped playing.

I know it's universally disliked, but I actually enjoy SF x Tekken. I wish it would have gotten some more traction, but at this point it's dead.
I still dabble with the old games, but I don't have the time to play seriously. I dropped SF4 for a about a year and something tells me I'll probably never be any good at it again. Hopefully Ultra will hit the PS4 and re-ignite my desire to play it. At the very least, Zangief seems more in line with my own playstyle and T. Hawk should be a little better.

I think the 'vocal' online community as a whole is typically a bunch of elitist dicks ([cough] majority of Shoryuken and it's forums [cough]).

I miss arcades. Arcades had the best communities for fighting games.

Capcom is a lazy ass developer now and they didn't use to be. I'm still waiting on them to HD-ify Zero 3 and CvS2 and re-re-release them for $10-$15 a piece (and admittedly I'd be throwing up digital money to buy them on day 1). Otherwise, I'm still pissed at Capcom for MvC3...and then UMvC3....and all the busted promises of DLC that ended up amounting to shit.

I can casually play Tekken (loved TTT), I can manage with Soul Edge/Calibur but it's not a favorite. Liked VF but that game is very hard to get into and very hard to get anywhere unless you spend a lot of time on it.

All in all I'm probably a fan of the Vs. series the most nowadays....don't really care much for SF4 but love HD Remix because it's damn near perfect.

I miss (GOOD) SNK. The Capcom / SNK rivalry of the 90s/2000s was something I will never forget.
Whatever happened to the guys that made KOF '97 and SamSho 2 and Last Blade 2 and Garou?
Similar with Capcom...where's the Zero 2 Dash / Zero 3, Vampire Savior and Rival Schools guys? :(

For the most part, I'm a 2D fighter fan. I can deal with some 3D fighters, but 2D fighters were the best for me, bar none.

Good post. Your love of 2D fighers certainly explains your username here. :) I too am a 2D fighter fan. Never been a 3D fighter fan, probably never will be.

Good post. Your love of 2D fighers certainly explains your username here. :) I too am a 2D fighter fan. Never been a 3D fighter fan, probably never will be.

Yeah I figured Zero 2 Dash was going to be the best SF game ever and they'd never top it, and so I started using it as my nick for a few years....and then Zero 3 came out and ohhhh hellllll.....by then it was probably too late to start calling myself Zero 3. :D LOL

Zero 3 is easily my favorite now; the Isms, the cast....it was for SF what KOF98 was for KOF fans and MvC2 was for Vs. game fans... Just throw every damn character you can into 1 game and let the fans go nuts. :) Good times ;)

Yeah I figured Zero 2 Dash was going to be the best SF game ever and they'd never top it, and so I started using it as my nick for a few years....and then Zero 3 came out and ohhhh hellllll.....by then it was probably too late to start calling myself Zero 3. :D LOL

Zero 3 is easily my favorite now; the Isms, the cast....it was for SF what KOF98 was for KOF fans and MvC2 was for Vs. game fans... Just throw every damn character you can into 1 game and let the fans go nuts. :) Good times ;)

Hell yeah! One thing I've always lamented about with the Vampire series is that they always use Morrigan and no one else (exception of Bulleta in MVC2). Seriously... No one plays with Morrigan. They only include her for the tits. If they had Jedah as a playable character in any VS game I would be super happy. I've more or less mastered the use of Jedah and am good enough to be a real competitor with him. Sigh... One day.

I like them. Tekken is good. Mortal Kombat is good too.

I bough mortal but no players online. Otherwise I would play these kind of game one time a week at least.

the classics for me are ssf and mk, tekken is right after as my third favorite, good stuff. love them!

Back