How can one search for files from the Win 10 start menu??!

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
I was watching this video, which is about how to (supposedly) recover unsaved WordPad files:

If you go to approximately 1:57, it tells you to search for .tmp files on your PC. It says to simply type .tmp into the Start Menu and search for those files.

Uhhhhh this is impossible. Below is what I get when I try to follow this. If I click any of the results after typing ".tmp" it just launches the Edge browser and searches the web. WTF??? And then when I click the "More" drop-down menu it doesn't even have a files option. The closest thing is an option for searching for Folders. But I want to search files.......... :facepalm::banghead::rage:

PS: I know I can just open My Computer and do the search from there, but now I'm just curious now why it's not working from the Start Menu...

search screenshot.png

Last edited:
You are a Windows user. Windows users are not expected to mess around with temporary files let alone know what they are.

The Search box will check your Apps and your home folder, along with the web. The video you linked shows them searching in a subfolder under the home folder, so they get results for the thing they are looking for, which exists.

So the first question is, do you have any *.tmp files in your home folder hierarchy?

run the search from file explorer. make sure you are on the main "this pc" and search for *.tmp

The Search box will check your Apps and your home folder, along with the web. The video you linked shows them searching in a subfolder under the home folder, so they get results for the thing they are looking for, which exists.

So the first question is, do you have any *.tmp files in your home folder hierarchy?

What the heck even is the "home folder"? Lol

When you type in .tmp in the search menu. At the top of the search menu click Documents. This will only search .tmp documents. If you select all. It will show mostly web searches.

The built in Windows search is notoriously bad. Most people who use search a lot have installed third party search apps that actually work. "Everything.exe" is one.

Back