HOT: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G $304 new @ Newegg's Ebay store

Hmm, very tempting.. do these clock close to the 5800X with PBO and disabling the iGPU?

Hmm, very tempting.. do these clock close to the 5800X with PBO?
I haven't used one. But would expect at least an extra 100mhz from PBO.

I think there are two more important things about these to take note of, in comparison to the 5800x:

They do not support PCI-E 4.0

They have half the cache, which results in a fair bit less gaming performance at 1080p and even 1440p. Making it sit between Zen 2 and the full Zen 3 chips.

I haven't used one. But would expect at least an extra 100mhz from PBO.

I think there are two more important things about these to take note of, in comparison to the 5800x:

They do not support PCI-E 4.0

They have half the cache, which results in a fair bit less gaming performance at 1080p and even 1440p. Making it sit between Zen 2 and the full Zen 3 chips.
Thanks, I'm still on a X470 Mobo and 2700X with PCI-E 3.0 anyways, but think I'll still hold out for a $300ish 5800X deal with the extra cache now that I know that.

5700G is a great deal if you cant find or waiting for a video card. 5800x is a lot faster for gaming if your going to run dedicated graphics. My friend just picked a 5700G up from microcenter for $299 paired with DDR4 3600 CL 16 memory it plays all his games on max settings 1080p 60+fps Even my mechwarrior online at 1600x900 on medium was 75FPS. somewhere above a 1030 below 1050 geforce. I bet next gen with DDR5 is going to be pretty sweet.

Damn these are finally hitting reasonable prices. When I wanted one of these they were brand new and after the headache of buying a full HP system it was just easier to grab a 5950x and use an old DGPU.

I wish these were available when I ordered the components for my new rig. Intel definitely wins on the general availability front.

Here's a nice comparison of the 5700G vs. 5800x at equal clock speeds. (y)

Even though the 5700G only has 16MB of cache vs. 32MB of the 5800x it doesn't seem to be too big of a detriment. FWIW...the 11700K also only has 16MB of cache.

I recall Buildzoid / ActuallyHardcoreOverclocking finding that these 5x00G chips have an absurdly strong memory controller and achieve mem OCs well beyond what a 5600X/5900X/5950X is capable of.

Just incase anyone's into that.

Here's a nice comparison of the 5700G vs. 5800x at equal clock speeds. (y)

Even though the 5700G only has 16MB of cache vs. 32MB of the 5800x it doesn't seem to be too big of a detriment. FWIW...the 11700K also only has 16MB of cache.

When really comparing----the cache makes a pretty big difference. In the first two games of that video, 20 - 30fps difference. That's huge. And overall, its a generational difference. halving the cache makes it perform similar to Zen 2. And if it werent' for the overclock, it would be even closer to Zen 2. that said, its not a bad CPU, just like how Zen 2 is still great. But....people should not assume this is just a 200mhz slower 5800x. Halving the cache is a pretty big deal.

Techpowerup found that CSGO, it can mean 100's of FPS difference. And they also showed similarly large differences in CPU limited games, as that video shows:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5700g/16.html

Techpowerup also found over 1500 points less in Cinibench R23 multicore test. Again, that's nearly a generational difference.

P.S. The cache size of the 11700k is irrelevant here, as the architecture is completely different. And as you can see, 11700k is doing relatively better than the 5700G. If 11700k had more cache, it would do even better. Hardware unboxed recently used a 10900k to show the importance of CPU cache, for gaming performance:

Shame I'm a month late on that one. Had to do $319 at Best Buy, but since it's replacing an old Core i7, I think the power savings over several months will make up for the missed discount here.

When really comparing----the cache makes a pretty big difference. In the first two games of that video, 20 - 30fps difference. That's huge. And overall, its a generational difference. halving the cache makes it perform similar to Zen 2. And if it werent' for the overclock, it would be even closer to Zen 2. that said, its not a bad CPU, just like how Zen 2 is still great. But....people should not assume this is just a 200mhz slower 5800x. Halving the cache is a pretty big deal.

Techpowerup found that CSGO, it can mean 100's of FPS difference. And they also showed similarly large differences in CPU limited games, as that video shows:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5700g/16.html

Techpowerup also found over 1500 points less in Cinibench R23 multicore test. Again, that's nearly a generational difference.

P.S. The cache size of the 11700k is irrelevant here, as the architecture is completely different. And as you can see, 11700k is doing relatively better than the 5700G. If 11700k had more cache, it would do even better. Hardware unboxed recently used a 10900k to show the importance of CPU cache, for gaming performance:

All that's true, but if you don't want a discrete GPU in the box then unfortunately sacrifices need to be made.

Back