home backup suggestion

syn3rgyz

Gawd
I currently own a macbook pro and plan on getting a desktop PC for WoW and FF14.
Right now all my music and movies are stored on a 500gb hd in my macbook pro and I'm running out of space.

I'm deciding whether to put all my music and movies on a NAS, or to put it on an internal harddrive on the PC and have another internal drive to backup to. I plan to move all the movies and music off my macbook pro and have itunes pull music from it, but i also want to be able to sync my ipod to it and i'm not really sure how thats going to work.

I have a 74gb SATA raptor drive, 120gb IDE drive and a 160gb 2.5inch sata drive lying around.
I'm open to other suggestions since I'm new at this, but i would prefer to keep the budget low.

any NAS will do for accessing songs to sync to your ipod.....

for $60 get a 1TB drive and put it in an inexpensive NAS and have fun...

qnap makes nice NASs but they are pricy...

a nice little HP WHS would be nice and they play nice with mac's time machine backup also...

the other option is to go with something like crashplan or mozy or carbonite and just pay for online storage....

which NAS would you recommend as an inexpensive NAS?
Would time machine be able to backup from one drive in the NAS to another?

bump

I plan to have a 2 bay NAS with 2x 1tb drives where the 2nd drive does differential backup of the first nightly

Last edited:
If you get a NAS with two drives, you can either run them as RAID 1 and simply have TimeMachine backup to the single exposed share, or if the NAS exposes the individual drives (JBOD mode), you can expose each drive via a share and have TimeMachine backup to the two shares.

These are assumptions. I've no experience with prebuilt NAS boxes. However I know some of the names such as Thecus, QNAP, Synology and NetGear.

If I run raid 1, wouldn't a corrupted file system on one drive copy over to the other one

yes, which is why RAID 1 is not a backup.....

so I would have a NAS and if that is the sole place the files are stored then add crashplan, mozy or carbonite backup offsite

looking on newegg and most of the NAS are over 500, and the 100-200 dollar one seems like crap

looking on newegg and most of the NAS are over 500, and the 100-200 dollar one seems like crap

That's pretty much right on the money.

What's the max you're willing to spend on this NAS?

its my first time considering/looking at NAS as a backup option I was looking for something between 100-200. I guess external enclosures would be my next option?

Back