Holy Smoke

professional loser

Limp Gawd
So I was exchanging PSU, on my Fractal Case. When I was trying to close the case, a cable accidentally got pulled out from the case's fan controller board (Fractal board on top right-hand corner of the case). I wrongly assumed that it was the fan cable that had got pulled off, it was actually a fan controller board power cable (sata power to Fractal PC board adapter cable that had come with the case)!!!!

So in the attached image, you can see that I plugged that power cable to the fan header slot!!! :-O I turned the PC on and smoke same from the fan header where I had plugged it in. I instantly realized what I had done and within 3 seconds switched the PC off. I then disconnected and connected it back in the correct slot.

Everything is working normal now. All the fans are working fine and none of the header or anything on the PC is damaged. Even the slot that was smoking works normal if I connect a fan to it.

Is there anything I need to worry about now? I ran stress test for few hours, just to be sure.

smoke.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming the power in cable in pinned alike to the fan cables, you should be fine. There MAY be damage to the fans, but they usually have diodes to protect the active portion of the circuit.

That fan hub is simply splitting off the PWM(speed) signal, power, and ground to all your fans while feeding an rpm signal back to the motherboard from one fan.

Amazingly, I literally just did the same thing yesterday. I wanted to make a post and came across this! I'm curious if you've had any issues since you posted this? Everything also seems okay on mine, but just want to be sure it's not going to catch fire at some point later...

Amazingly, I literally just did the same thing yesterday. I wanted to make a post and came across this! I'm curious if you've had any issues since you posted this? Everything also seems okay on mine, but just want to be sure it's not going to catch fire at some point later...

Funny :)
It was working normal, but I just disconnected all fans from the Nexus 2 header and as I had enough fan headers on the motherboard, I connected them directly to the mobo.
Then I contacted Fractal, and they sent me a new power cable for the board and Nexus 2 board itself for free. I never got around to installing it, as I might have to remove my CPU heat sink to get access to the screws to install the Nexus 2 board.
If you have enough fan headers on the Mobo, then just forget about the Nexus 2 board.

I think the smoke came from the plastic not being able to handle the extra power and causing fumes. The Nexus board was not damaged, but I did not want to take chances, hence I disconnected it from my MOBO.

You didn't release the magic smoke thankfully, but you probably just melted some PCB or insulation. I would give everything a good visual inspection but if everything is working as intended you should be good!

Now just take your Mr. Bill face & stamp it on your forehead, as a reminder against future goofies like this one, hehehe :) j/k

Back