Hogwarts Legacy

I'm about to boot it up myself and see but have any of you seen performance improvements from the patch?
So far - I'm seeing a little bit smoother gameplay.

Two things I've noticed -
1.GPU usage is higher by about 15% on average. Outside when flying, I was only getting mid 60s to mid 70s usage - now it's roughly 80 to 90.
Inside - used to be around 65% to 85% now it's anywhere from 80 to 90%.

And secondly - unless I missed it, they've added a gear counter to top of our gear bags.

just when I thought I've seen all the special ability moves, just used one where it froze the troll and then forced the troll to bash him in the head with his own club. 😂
Also digging fighting foe near a cliff, pick em up and drop them... Instant death lol

Last edited:
I have been taking a light hand as to the rules in this thread letting everyone have their say on political angles.

I think enough time has been given to that, now let's please get back on the topic of the game and not the controversy that surrounds it.

Thank you.

So far - I'm seeing a little bit smoother gameplay.

Two things I've noticed -
1.GPU usage is higher by about 15% on average. Outside when flying, I was only getting mid 60s to mid 70s usage - now it's roughly 80 to 90.
Inside - used to be around 65% to 85% now it's anywhere from 80 to 90%.

And secondly - unless I missed it, they've added a gear counter to top of our gear bags.

just when I thought I've seen all the special ability moves, just used one where it froze the troll and then forced the troll to bash him in the head with his own club. 😂
Also digging fighting foe near a cliff, pick em up and drop them... Instant death lol
I haven’t been monitoring GPU usage over the last hour but haven’t noticed any significant improvement. Still getting highly erratic frame rates, spikes into the teens while smooth and above 120 at times, really frustrating. Still loving the game but seriously don’t want to experience this over the entirety of my playthrough. I have only played on my 4080 laptop but this thing has absolutely slain everything else I’ve thrown at it, which is a lot.

Have been playing this since the 7th. Have about 26 hours in and it's been a blast so far. Have had zero issues with the 4090, 99% of the time I hover at 144 fps. (Maxed out everything at 1440p). Occasional dip to 120 T random points.

Have ran into one or two weird quest hiccups where I logged out after picking up an item for the quest, logging back in reset me me at that stage, but item was gone. Quick abandoning of quest made it go back into quest log and restart.

Is anyone playing this with a physical disc on PS5? If so - does the game work completely disconnected from the internet after installing the mandatory day one patch? Thanks!
PS5 doesn't require online authentication for game I don't believe. Should work no problem offline. What reason do you have to disconnect the PS5 from the internet afterwards tho?

Wow - things just ramped up in terms of fighting
Level 22 and I'm doing my best to not finish the main story too soon - so I've been doing all side quests recently. Stumbled across an arena with 5 different waves to survive(some statue side quest on bottom left of map). Holy shit do those last two rounds test what you've learned. Multiple trolls, ton of goblins using assortment of defenses and spiders and all sorts.
I'm playing on hard mode and feel again as I did in the very beginning. Definitely need to revamp my combos. This is actually my first time so far that I had to go buy gear, upgrade it and stock up on potions before heading back to try again. Hoping there are more of these type of arena battles on the map. Merlin trials don't particularly count, as this was wayyy different.

Last edited:
Patch Notes- 02/14/2023

https://hogwartslegacy.bugs.wbgames.com/patch-notes

PC Steam/PC Epic Games

Cinematics
-Fixed audio issues missing or not properly playing

Controllers
-Switch Pro controller support updates HL-346

Upscalers
-Enable frame generation while DLSS is disabled
-Anti-Aliasing and Screen resolution settings disabled when using DLSS and not Super Resolution

Raytracing
-Fixed issue with RTAO looking worse than SSAO
-Adjusted default setting to Medium Quality

Performance and Stability
-Shader type compilation optimization
-Shader compilation performance updates and functionality enhancements
-Fixed a crash affecting Text2Speech usability
-Resolved issues with world assets abruptly being stretched which resolves the following reported issues: HL-305, HL-265
-Resolved an issue with Nvidia GPUs having lower frame rate compared to AMD

Seems good but will probably need a few more patches before this is in a good state.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I don't think there will ever be an heureka moment when the game suddenly goes to 60fps from unplayable. With RT off the game might be a little smoother, but it was already well playable so there is no point in more waiting. With RT effects it is as unplayable as ever even on LOW settings on 2080Ti.

the most interesting part of the patch notes: "Resolved an issue with Nvidia GPUs having lower frame rate compared to AMD"
Which is rather vague. There's still some stuttering in game at times, though I still have the .ini updates in place....wondering if I should remove them.

Level 22 and I'm doing my best to not finish the main story too soon - so I've been doing all side quests recently. Stumbled across an arena with 5 different waves to survive(some statue side quest on bottom left of map). Holy shit do those last two rounds test what you've learned. Multiple trolls, ton of goblins using assortment of defenses and spiders and all sorts.
I'm playing on hard mode and feel again as I did in the very beginning. Definitely need to revamp my combos. This is actually my first time so far that I had to go buy gear, upgrade it and stock up on potions before heading back to try again. Hoping there are more of these type of arena battles on the map. Merlin trials don't particularly count, as this was wayyy different.
That arena was a blast.. think I used up all of my 20 stashed healing potions by the end of it clinging on to dear life. I was around 22ish too by that point.

I think I just discovered another the other night, but I didn't have any potions on me at the time and was in the middle of a quest, will have to search my map again. I've heard the dark arts arena is challenging as well

FPS seems higher to me. I was getting 90-110 in the raven claw common room, now I am getting 123-127. Running around the castle im over my 120hz refresh rate more often.
Wish I could have done a proper test before the update.

I previously complained about frame generation. I have it sorted out now. GSYNC had reset to only being enabled for full screen. Fixed that and it feels fine now.

Also I dug into my oled menus and the game looks much better with black level set to low and with dynamic contrast on. Had black level on auto and HGIG enabled. It looks washed out with those enabled.
I am running 12bit rgb and have set windows for 800nits and ran the hdr calibration, so it's kind of odd that a high black level washes out the picture.

I don't think there will ever be an heureka moment when the game suddenly goes to 60fps from unplayable. With RT off the game might be a little smoother, but it was already well playable so there is no point in more waiting. With RT effects it is as unplayable as ever even on LOW settings on 2080Ti.

Doubt you'll see massive jumps but the performance seems to be inconsistent. After a few patches it will probably be fine. I may just wait for a bit. With a lot of the other games I was waiting for delayed I may give it a go regardless though.

Oh yeah, I stumbled upon that with 4 healing potions. I didn't know you had to manually go to collections to unlock all of your bonuses too and was still on lvl 3 or 4 main quests... almost finished round 5 but died. Roll roll roll. I started blocking too fast too, had to calm down.

Found out why my gear cap hadn't increased after like 9001 merlin trials, and realized I had all this crap ready to go! Tried it again with full potions and easily 5/5ed it, relatively speaking. Unless I blinked though we get nothing save for a dueling feat maybe??

just finished the story after about 32 hours. last fight was a tough one on hard.
felt a bit rushed, to be honest. the last area you do quests in is barely touched with the main story.

just finished the story after about 32 hours. last fight was a tough one on hard.
felt a bit rushed, to be honest. the last area you do quests in is barely touched with the main story.
sounds like you skipped a lot of the side stuff. im at 19 hours and ~20% complete.

PS5 doesn't require online authentication for game I don't believe. Should work no problem offline. What reason do you have to disconnect the PS5 from the internet afterwards tho?
I only use a local, offline account for gaming and only login and connect with another account occasionally to download updates.
I monitored the network (packet) traffic from my PS5 while gaming and decided I'm not giving Sony a free pass to shovel ads and other tracking/telemetry on the internet I pay for.

Other people reported that the game works fine offline after downloading the day one patch - without that you cannot progress after a while completely offline.

FWIW - this is why I asked:
1676510205980.png

sounds like you skipped a lot of the side stuff. im at 19 hours and ~20% complete.
maybe, yeah.
but i was at the same percentage as you are at 20hrs in, i did every sidequest i came upon without seeking them out (my bad, havent really played games in 3 years or so).
the ending still feels rushed, tbh, i wasnt even aware it was happening, didnt have my potions full, for example.
huge caveat though, there seems to be a bit more coming storywise, tying up lose ends, etc.... so i'll crank that out tomorrow

How much of the game is story missions and real side quests vs collecting 50 different items/collectibles? Seems like the actual story quests and side quests are around 35 hours. All the other stuff is around 35 hours?

Has anyone played post patch with and without the ini edits yet? Won’t get a chance to dig into it much until the weekend

How much of the game is story missions and real side quests vs collecting 50 different items/collectibles? Seems like the actual story quests and side quests are around 35 hours. All the other stuff is around 35 hours?
Collectibles come from just doing the quests - more like a reward to be honest. Finish X amount of quests, kill X amount of this type, find X amount of this or that, get Y as a collectible/reward (can be something cosmetic like an appearance or housing item). Not once have I found HL to be the cliché and overly repetitive fetch quests type of game. For one, this game isn't grindy at all. Once the map is open and you get your broom and unlock teleport locations - stuff is pretty accessible and quick to get to if need be.
The story quests are pretty easy to stay consistent with - occasional requirements will be needed before heading to the next main quest(Complete X side quest to do Y main quest). I'd say you could knock out the story in 15 to 20 hours easily if you really wanted to, but you'll be missing out on a lot of cool things to see and do.

Last edited:
FPS seems higher to me. I was getting 90-110 in the raven claw common room, now I am getting 123-127. Running around the castle im over my 120hz refresh rate more often.
Wish I could have done a proper test before the update.

I previously complained about frame generation. I have it sorted out now. GSYNC had reset to only being enabled for full screen. Fixed that and it feels fine now.

Also I dug into my oled menus and the game looks much better with black level set to low and with dynamic contrast on. Had black level on auto and HGIG enabled. It looks washed out with those enabled.
I am running 12bit rgb and have set windows for 800nits and ran the hdr calibration, so it's kind of odd that a high black level washes out the picture.
Is dynamic range set to limited in the NVIDIA control panel?

Has anyone played post patch with and without the ini edits yet? Won’t get a chance to dig into it much until the weekend

I never used the .ini edits and I "feel" like the performance has improved a bit. It's a good first step.

I like the game, but it is basically magical assassins creed. I'm fine with AC games but usually give up the grind before completion, but a lot of people hate AC-style games so I'm amazed at the positive support this game has garnered. There is a TON of busy work, if you do main quests only the game is pretty short. Maybe there hasn't been a lot of people trying to complete every merlin trial or the same repeating hidden treasure yet? No point in trying either until later on, when you have all the spells, otherwise you'll find hundreds of things you can't do.

I think the change up was big enough to get people to not care, plus this is the first big drop in this IP. The world itself is pretty, but there's a lot of time saving measures showing too.

I like the game, but it is basically magical assassins creed. I'm fine with AC games but usually give up the grind before completion, but a lot of people hate AC-style games so I'm amazed at the positive support this game has garnered. There is a TON of busy work, if you do main quests only the game is pretty short. Maybe there hasn't been a lot of people trying to complete every merlin trial or the same repeating hidden treasure yet? No point in trying either until later on, when you have all the spells, otherwise you'll find hundreds of things you can't do.

I think the change up was big enough to get people to not care, plus this is the first big drop in this IP. The world itself is pretty, but there's a lot of time saving measures showing too.

I think a lot of the love for the game is driven by nostalgia for the HP franchise and/or comes from HP fans themselves. The HP books were extremely popular in the 90s, and the franchise has been around a decade longer than the AC franchise. The fanbase is just massive.

I think a lot of the love for the game is driven by nostalgia for the HP franchise and/or comes from HP fans themselves. The HP books were extremely popular in the 90s, and the franchise has been around a decade longer than the AC franchise. The fanbase is just massive.
I have never seen anything HP related before, and I like the game. Saying it is assassin's creed in the HP universe is a disservice to the game, even though I like AC games also but for different reasons. The attention to detail in this game is insane, every nook and cranny is filled with interactive stuff, sometimes I just stop and look at the amount of detail put into various locations. In Hogwarts Every statue and painting literally lives a life of its own. It is truly magical, figuratively and literally. Last time I played I just sat in the main menu fot 5 minutes watching my character's expressions interacting with the environment. The animations in the game are top notch. I still can't believe a studio who never did anything on this scale was able to put this together and in such high quality. Every major hub is bustling with NPCs, many of whom are also questgivers, and most of them feel real, unlike the interactive hotspot role of NPCs in other games.

Of course no game is perfect, but the few negatives I found so far are far far outweighed by everything else. There is no doubt about it in my mind that this is the best game since Cyberpunk 2077.

I have never seen anything HP related before, and I like the game. Saying it is assassin's creed in the HP universe is a disservice to the game, even though I like AC games also but for different reasons. The attention to detail in this game is insane, every nook and cranny is filled with interactive stuff, sometimes I just stop and look at the amount of detail put into various locations. In Hogwarts Every statue and painting literally lives a life of its own. It is truly magical, figuratively and literally. Last time I played I just sat in the main menu fot 5 minutes watching my character's expressions interacting with the environment. The animations in the game are top notch. I still can't believe a studio who never did anything on this scale was able to put this together and in such high quality. Every major hub is bustling with NPCs, many of whom are also questgivers, and most of them feel real, unlike the interactive hotspot role of NPCs in other games.

Of course no game is perfect, but the few negatives I found so far are far far outweighed by everything else. There is no doubt about it in my mind that this is the best game since Cyberpunk 2077.
I agree with you a ton. Attention to detail is astounding.

While the map itself isn't overly large as some of us want, like you said, it's filled with things. And it's pretty easy to stay off the main quest path and continue to progress in other ways for hours and hours.

The only thing i really wish they had, was better specs with your gear. They really went basic on this aspect, but at the same time, it really hasn't reduced the overall enjoyment factor of the game. I'm just a stats nerd with RPGs. Add offense and or defense with your gear is the gist of this one. That's about it. Sure, gems...but it's a lighter add-on than most RPGs.

Other than that, it's a gem of a game.

Reactions: mQzz
like this

Is it easy to tell what is a story quest, or a side quest with story/exploration? Typically in games I do main story quests and side quests with story content. But the never ending random generated quests, trophy hunting, achievement hunting, I never bother with. Using Assassin's Creed as an example I will do story quests, side quests, and half minor quests. I won't bother grabbing every piece of gold or collectible shown on the map. I will fully explore the map though.

Is it safe to say if I play like that the game is a good 40 hours or so?

Reactions: mQzz
like this
Is it easy to tell what is a story quest, or a side quest with story/exploration? Typically in games I do main story quests and side quests with story content. But the never ending random generated quests, trophy hunting, achievement hunting, I never bother with. Using Assassin's Creed as an example I will do story quests, side quests, and half minor quests. I won't bother grabbing every piece of gold or collectible shown on the map. I will fully explore the map though.

Is it safe to say if I play like that the game is a good 40 hours or so?
The quest menu literally tells you if it's a main quest or not. New main quests will pop as well, so you don't have to go around looking for one to continue forward. It's pretty automated.

Since it's easy to tell apart a main quest from a side quest, be mindful to not do too many main quests in a row if you want to hit that 40 hour mark. Putting 40+ hours in this game is very doable IMHO.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that doesn't care which voice comes out of Sirona? I've seen a ton of posts about this.
The voice doesn't fit the character. It's jarring to hear it. The mod sounds more natural.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Am I the only one that doesn't care which voice comes out of Sirona? I've seen a ton of posts about this.

No, there are plenty of adults out there who aren’t programmed to get triggered by trivial things.

OK guyshelpplz, how does this persons game look like this? I came across this screenshot ina steam thread about how hot Garlic is and my shit looks like sega gensis graphics compared to this. I've got everything except fog on ultra, how does this look so good?

WADUHECK.png

Back