HL2 Problem, I Have No Internet

sithspit said:
Ideally they should have a method like microsoft, where it is recommended that you use the internet but you can also do it by phone.

I agree with this completely.

Many of my friends are still living in the dorms and are not allowed to have access to stream. So they are pretty much SOL until they go back home if they want to play HL2.

YoUnAn said:

Many of my friends are still living in the dorms and are not allowed to have access to stream. So they are pretty much SOL until they go back home if they want to play HL2.

Oh man...that's ridiculous.

YoUnAn said:

Im in basically the same situation untill I buy my own internet connection, going to be a few weeks, and cost me 400 dollars (for the entire year) :(

Sucks. but im not "just" doing it for half life 2, partly becuase I can't even play ANY online games at all. in fact all I can do is web browse at the moment.

For some reason my home DSL won't let me connect to Steam. Qworst DSL only gets sold with a firewall that apparently has "issues" with the Steam service.

I can't even return the damn game because it is opened.

I understand what valve was trying to do, but they really stink for screwing up my HL2 experience.

Don't expect me to buy anything else from them. Since they have NO customer support I guess the only thing I can do is complain to the FTC. With customer support or phone activation I would have another recourse.

Where the hell have you people been!?

There is a thread started http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=825787 back on November 13 that went for 12 pages that already discussed the issue to death.

In summary, HL2 (retail or Steam) needs to connect to the Internet to activate. You are required to install Steam and create a Steam account. Once that is done, Steam gets on the net and then activates your copy of HL2. This is a one time only activation. After that, to play HL2 you start Steam, which will try to go out on the Internet. If there is no internet (firewall blocked, no cable, etc.), Steam will still start and will run in Offline mode. You then have the option to start HL2 or any other Steam game, HL1, DOD, CS, etc. At this point, you can play any of the single player games without any Internet connection.

Note, even if you are using Steam Offline, the HL2 executable still tries to get out to the Internet. I don't know why, but that is the way it works. The game still runs, even if there is no Internet connection available, but I find it interesting that HL2 still tries.

DO NOT lose your Steam acct info. If you do, you will not be able to reactivate your HL2 game if you have to reinstall. This is because that copy of HL2 is tied to that one Steam account and cannot be activated with a new Steam account.

BTW, do the retail packages use CD keys that you have to type in?

Interesting info...

However, if we wanted to keep the steam account around even if Steam shutted down in the future, what do we need to do (what files to backup or something to do). I know the offline rely on the account info written in a file on disk to check if it is activated.

Once the game is activated, Steam provides you the ability to backup up the game from within Steam. This lets you save all the patches and updates Steam has downloaded and theoretically lets you reinstall the game without having to re-download anything.

However, I do not know how that is going to work with a Retail package install. If I just reinstall Steam, and then restore from the backups, do I need to re-authenticate? Those were some of the questions that we never answered in that earlier thread.

mcravenufo said:
Quick off topic, best of wishes to you bro.

Thanks... ^_^

Neural Interface said:
Wont you have enough real life CS? lol

I hope not... ^_^

pbj75 said:
Once the game is activated, Steam provides you the ability to backup up the game from within Steam. This lets you save all the patches and updates Steam has downloaded and theoretically lets you reinstall the game without having to re-download anything.

That still doesn't help those of us who will not be able to re-connect to Steam even if we update and backup prior to going to Iraq... The small number of us (probably less than a thousand or so) who will be out of luck in Iraq are nothing compared to students on campuses that block ports campus wide due to Napster, etc... and it obviously will affect Steam...

I got it to work, my steam was corrupt, which steam techies said is common.....Bese game ever.....I played for 11 hours yesterday

Here is my problem with requiring RETAIL CD customers to activate with steam (I can understand requiring STEAM downloaded versions to activate, but RETAIL CD versions? Give me a god damned break)....

(1) In X number of years, when STEAM is but a faint memory, how in the hell am I going to be able to install HL2 on a fresh computer???

(2) STEAM is an open client to the internet. Securitywise, this is unacceptable.

(3) I paid GOOD GOD DAMNED MONEY for this game. I want to be able to go home, install the damn thing and play single player. To require an internet connection to activate the RETAIL CD is wrong.

(4) Privacy issues galore...I simply DO NOT WANT STEAM installed on my computer, simple as that. I am now forced to wait for an illegal crack in order to eliminate STEAM for my box....which makes me feel somewhat dirty...and it's Valve's fault.

(5) STEAM installs with bootup at startup BY DEFAULT. Surely sounds like a potential security issue to me.

pbj75 said:
BTW, do the retail packages use CD keys that you have to type in?

Yes they do.

FrizzleFried said:
(4) Privacy issues galore...I simply DO NOT WANT STEAM installed on my computer, simple as that. I am now forced to wait for an illegal crack in order to eliminate STEAM for my box....which makes me feel somewhat dirty...and it's Valve's fault.

it would seem if you want to play half life 2 that you have no choice. Oh and you cracking the game isnt' valve's fault, its yours for no playing by the rules

FrizzleFried said:
(3) I paid GOOD GOD DAMNED MONEY for this game. I want to be able to go home, install the damn thing and play single player. To require an internet connection to activate the RETAIL CD is wrong.
Says it clearly on the box in the minimum requirments. I understand wanting to install it activate it and play asap and with steam being down, etc that is indeed a problem if it happens.

(5) STEAM installs with bootup at startup BY DEFAULT. Surely sounds like a potential security issue to me.

.......you know it's an optional thing? fucking msconfig and uncheck it, I'm pretty sure on the install of steam it clearly asks you if you want it started on startup.

I installed the DVD version last night, it did not give me the option, but a little trip to msconfigville fixed it right up.

Astronutty said:
I installed the DVD version last night, it did not give me the option, but a little trip to msconfigville fixed it right up.

If you go into Steam's options all you need to do is check a box. You don't even need to worry about msconfig.

GoCanes said:
How about my situation... Starting the 27th of theis month, I'll be on active duty for 18 months in Iraq where we will have tents allowing 30 minutes of surfing, emailing, posting, etc... from dummy terminals... I plan on buying a nice laptop after I get in Iraq and would like to take a retail copy of HL2 with me to play, but I'm pretty sure I will have a hard time getting internet connectivity just for the brief activation period, plus the fact that I would like to play CS:S with a few team members in our off time...

first off... good luck man i hope you and your buddies stay safe.

this sounds pretty much the same situation a good friend of mine is in. he's in the navy and is on the trumin at the moment. he's got a pretty good laptop and was just sent a copy of the game but it looks like he's stuck. on the boat he cant access steam to creat his account or anything.

is he stuck for the next 4 mths or..?

thanks

I havn't played HL2 in a week, fired it up... it now says there is no account information stored on my computer. I had been playing offline for quite a while. Does HL2 require reactivation after a month? I am really at a loss on this. I was under the impression I would only need an internet connection upon install of my game.

Time to lug my computer to my friend's house again.

If a person were to use a pirated copy when they own the original, is that unlawful? I have my receipt, original special edition box, and the original DVD. I just want a trouble free gaming expirence.

Astronutty

I just had the same problem. Turns out it is an alleged bug *cough* in Steam. Of course, the only way to fix it is to get back on the Internet and revalidate your account. For me, it only wanted me to re-enter my password.

So, my question is why is there any code in Steam at all that is invalidating account info after some time period?

Here is the link. It is the last problem listed under Steam
Steampowered linky

FrizzleFried said:
Here is my problem with requiring RETAIL CD customers to activate with steam (I can understand requiring STEAM downloaded versions to activate, but RETAIL CD versions? Give me a god damned break)....

(1) In X number of years, when STEAM is but a faint memory, how in the hell am I going to be able to install HL2 on a fresh computer???
Well Valve and Steam will be around for at least 5 years. If for some unforeseen reason they go under, someone will by the rights to Steam or the rights to Valve games. Worst case is someone releases a patch that bypasses Steam if Steam/Valve go under. A slight disruption may occur, but you could still play.

Will you really want to play HL2 in 5 years? Do you still play Doom 1? Your call, but in 5 years our vid cards will as powerful as our rigs are today. Will you want to play some old crappy graphic (by the times standard) game? Possible, but I doubt it.

FrizzleFried said:
(2) STEAM is an open client to the internet. Securitywise, this is unacceptable.

Don't install it. Do not get/pay HL2.

Pendragon said:
I'm at school. I can't look at the minimum specs. :p

I'll say it again: requiring an internet connection to install is stupid.

But let me get this straight...if I buy the retail version, must I have internet access on the computer on which I install HL2, or can I simply create an account on a different computer?
no sympathy what-so-frikin-ever. that's not stupid. the ignorant consumer who buys something without reading the requirements is stupid! someone call a waaaaambulance for all the weenies and all the threads on this subject

G'ßöö said:
no sympathy what-so-frikin-ever. that's not stupid. the ignorant consumer who buys something without reading the requirements is stupid! someone call a waaaaambulance for all the weenies and all the threads on this subject

no joke, are they blind (if you are i'm sorry, well you can't read this anyway but still) if not then there is no reason you can NOT read the specs, they are on the box, and online, sorry no sympaty here either, just because you are at college doesn't me you can't read the box

Steam sucks so much. It is littered with problems. I had to change routers just to get the game to connect online. Now, when I download maps from the server I am connecting to, when it finishes it tells me I have the wrong version of the map. So I have to download custom maps ahead of time or don't play on custom map servers.

My ISP died on me so I figured I would give HL2 a shot. Well I was told that there is some offline mode but I have yet to see it. When my ISP was down and I started Steam it would just sit at the connecting screen. On top of all this, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get support for the damn program. I will never, ever, buy another game off steam again. That's a promise.

obs said:
Steam sucks so much. It is littered with problems. I had to change routers just to get the game to connect online. Now, when I download maps from the server I am connecting to, when it finishes it tells me I have the wrong version of the map. So I have to download custom maps ahead of time or don't play on custom map servers.

My ISP died on me so I figured I would give HL2 a shot. Well I was told that there is some offline mode but I have yet to see it. When my ISP was down and I started Steam it would just sit at the connecting screen. On top of all this, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get support for the damn program. I will never, ever, buy another game off steam again. That's a promise.

GAME OVER

no joke, are they blind (if you are i'm sorry, well you can't read this anyway but still) if not then there is no reason you can NOT read the specs, they are on the box, and online, sorry no sympaty here either, just because you are at college doesn't me you can't read the box

1. There is no mention of having to authenticate the game every time you play it that I've seen on the box.

2. They didn't mention that Steam would be using ports that are often blocked by college routers.

3. There is no warning that their customer support is easily the worst in the industry.

4. There is no mention of them having terrible security measures on the network that allow people to steal your account.

1. There is no mention of having to authenticate the game every time you play it that I've seen on the box.

-You don't have to everytime you play the game, offline mode worked for me just fine

2. They didn't mention that Steam would be using ports that are often blocked by college routers.

-And just how is what a college sys admin blocks steams fault? It is their job to keep the network secure, i would do the same thing if i was in that posistion.

3. There is no warning that their customer support is easily the worst in the industry.

-Well there is not excuse for bad customer service, you got that one right

4. There is no mention of them having terrible security measures on the network that allow people to steal your account.

-People stole my account, when did that happen, nothing is ever secure, if there is a way to use it there is a way to abuse it thats a part of the digital age.

I say you got a 1 out of 4 correct

-You don't have to everytime you play the game, offline mode worked for me just fine

The keyword in that sentence is "me".

-And just how is what a college sys admin blocks steams fault? It is their job to keep the network secure, i would do the same thing if i was in that posistion.

It is Valve's fault for not listing the ports that would be required to download updates.

People stole my account, when did that happen, nothing is ever secure, if there is a way to use it there is a way to abuse it thats a part of the digital age.

Sorry, but no. Things can be protected digitally if the company actually goes through the trouble to do so.

This isn't a random ordeal. Steam accounts are constantly being stolen. I've seen mention of it several times on this forum alone (And countless times on the Steam forums).

I say you got a 1 out of 4 correct

And I would say that you're a bit delusional and misinformed, but that wouldn't be nice of me.

WickedAngel said:
The keyword in that sentence is "me".

It is Valve's fault for not listing the ports that would be required to download updates.

Sorry, but no. Things can be protected digitally if the company actually goes through the trouble to do so.

This isn't a random ordeal. Steam accounts are constantly being stolen. I've seen mention of it several times on this forum alone (And countless times on the Steam forums).

And I would say that you're a bit delusional and misinformed, but that wouldn't be nice of me.

If you can't read the F-ing box thats your problem its right there for you to read, How many games list the ports you need to update, i could probable count them on one hand, yes things can be protected, but they can be cracked just as easy, i know people in security i am aware of this.

This forum is nothing but a bunch of piss ants i'm outta here.

Yet again...none of those things were mentioned on the box, therefore they couldn't be read. Pull your head out of your ass.

Sounds like this guy is trolling. This post was made purely to stir up an argument. Just let it die, and leave it to a mod to lock it. You guys are beating a dead horse to a bloody, pulpy mess. Yes, the fact that HL2 needs a net connection sucks, but deal with it. There's a 99.9% chance that those who have a computer that can run it decently anyway will have a net connection, and those with no connection probably can't play the game anyway. Plus, if this punk had access to start this thread, I think he can deal with activating it using that very connection.

Plus, if this punk had access to start this thread, I think he can deal with activating it using that very connection.

College routers allow access to much of the web while filtering the ports that P2P and other large-bandwith programs use.

The fact that he is posting here doesn't mean that he should be able to authenticate, for Steam uses ports that are often blocked...

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
First off not everyones mommy and daddy buy them internet. I have gone several months with out internet access due to loss of funds/job. Second, not everywhere has high speed internet access, its just not available everywhere. Third if you dont have an internet access then how are going to get a crack ONLINE. If you could go online to download a crack, why not just activate the game. Hmmm how can I say this...WAKE UP

JEEVES
I love you. :D

Back