Hitachi Tagmastore

syn3rgyz

Gawd
Anyone know where I can find documentation for it? I am trying to find the IP address of it so I can access / manage it but the guy who worked here before me hasn't documented anything -_-. I looked at the back and it seems like theres no output for keyboard mouse/ monitor either

DO NOT USE A NETWORK SCANNING TOOL ON A NETWORK WITH A TAGMASTORE!!!

Using any portscanner on a Tagmastore can result in crashing the controller. Using any network scanner on a network with certain versions of LSI/Engenio firmware on certain array controllers will result in these controllers crashing. Both of these issues can cause data loss or corruption, and will take down your storage. This can roughly be translated as: doing what was recommended will get your ass fired so fast you'll think they launched you out of a cannon.
Best method would be to sniff the traffic on the switch port it's connected to, which will tell you the IP address.

If you're missing the hardcopy manuals or documentation CD-ROM, you'll need to call HDS Support at (800) 446-0744 to order new copies. Given what you've said, you should also ask them what your contract covers, and if it covers remote maintenance and management, and whether you have any training credits available. A TagmaStore requires someone who is trained and qualified to manage it, and you are definitely not.

Last edited:
thanks AreEss for the response, but are there ANY documentations at all for this thing? I mean I just want to find out what the IP is. I think you've read my other thread in the VM forum about trying to backup my VM's. Well I spoke with someone in my firm whos supposed to be an expert with VM's and he found out that the Tagmastore is the SAN storing all the VM's, but there are two LUN's that are not VMFS, so he wants to get in there and find out whether or not it is being used by anything else. So it seems as though he should know what hes doing, but he has asked me to find out what the IP to the tagmastore is.

How would I go about sniffing the traffic on the switch port?

thanks AreEss for the response, but are there ANY documentations at all for this thing? I mean I just want to find out what the IP is. I think you've read my other thread in the VM forum about trying to backup my VM's. Well I spoke with someone in my firm whos supposed to be an expert with VM's and he found out that the Tagmastore is the SAN storing all the VM's, but there are two LUN's that are not VMFS, so he wants to get in there and find out whether or not it is being used by anything else. So it seems as though he should know what hes doing, but he has asked me to find out what the IP to the tagmastore is.

How would I go about sniffing the traffic on the switch port?

Sure, that sounds like a good plan, actually. Glad I caught you in time, too. That bug drives me nuts, and it's so freaking off the wall. I've seen a dozen shops accidentally blow up storage doing security audits.

As to documentation, that's the problem - you have to have an HDS support contract to get access to documentation. I don't know if it's available online for the TagmaStore. You'll need to call and have them look up what support you have, if any, by the serial number of the TagmaStore. If you don't have the contract number hidden somewhere. The other advantage here is that if you do have an active support contract, they can actually tell you the IP address. (The TagmaStore has a call-home function for failures, and they should have that information from any call-home events.)

Failing that, "sho port" if you have a Cisco to get the MAC address, then use any network sniffing utility and a port on the same VLAN to look for traffic from that MAC. Something like WireShark or similar will work fine - just don't scan the ports on the network. :)

i dont know if you remember but our network is not connected to the internet so i guess i'll try the other solution when i get to work tomm thanks

i dont know if you remember but our network is not connected to the internet so i guess i'll try the other solution when i get to work tomm thanks

Neither is the TagmaStore. The only Internet-only callhome system is the IBM Remote Support Manager / Engenio Service Software piece of crap. (It works about as well as you'd expect - when your storage goes down and takes out your mail system, uhhuh.)

The TagmaStore should have a phone line in the cabinet, or a system with a modem in it, somewhere in the place. Just like the IBM HMC, and EMC solutions. When I say "callhome" I really mean the call part. :)

Failing that, "sho port" if you have a Cisco to get the MAC address, then use any network sniffing utility and a port on the same VLAN to look for traffic from that MAC. Something like WireShark or similar will work fine - just don't scan the ports on the network.

We have both Cisco and netgear switches in the server room, but I dont know which one the tagmastore is connected to, the tagmastore has two NIC's and CAT cables coming out of them which leads under the floor to who knows where (if i showed you the cable management in that room your eyes would bleed). But I noticed that the Ethernet cards in the back has MAC addresses labeled for it, should I be looking for that MAC address on wireshark?

Also I have never used Wireshark before so I hope i dont scan the network by mistake =P

Oh, hey, that does make life easier! Yep, the MAC addresses on the labels are the ones to look for!

Doesn't have to be WireShark; if you know something else better, I'm all for it. I personally don't like WireShark that much, but most shops have it.

found the 2 IP's, but i have no idea what to do with them now.. also got the documentations and a bunch of CDs. Went through the documentation and I can't figure out whether I am supposed to install the utilities on the host or a workstation

Awesome! Progress has been made!

Now we get into areas I'm not as familiar with. There should be a couple sets of software; host software and management software. I don't know how to tell the difference between the two by CD labels. The management software goes on a workstation, the host software has the multipathing drivers on it. Grab the "Installation and Management" documentation, and look up which CD it tells you to install first and what the requirements for the management station are. (I don't remember if Tagmastore is inline-required or out-of-band only.)

I think I might just call them up cause the documentation makes absolutely no sense at all and all of them say "this document assumes you have a basic understanding of blah blah blah" There is no installation and management documents, there are a bunch of CD's with documentations for the software that is labeled, but the software itself is not even on the CD, i dont even know where the Software is

I think I might just call them up cause the documentation makes absolutely no sense at all and all of them say "this document assumes you have a basic understanding of blah blah blah" There is no installation and management documents, there are a bunch of CD's with documentations for the software that is labeled, but the software itself is not even on the CD, i dont even know where the Software is

Wow, that is very odd. Do you have physical access to the TagmaStore? In the first cabinet, there should be a pull-out KVM console. Any love there?

Other than that, yeah, I would give them a ring. They should be happy to help you sort out a management station, especially since it sounds like the person who left basically didn't care about what they were doing. Sigh.

connected directly to the cisco switch and tried looking up the arp table and look for the MAC address / info on the port that the tagmastore is connected to. Nothing shows up for any of them

cabinet??? it is just one box with a lot of slots for hard drives

The technical term for that is a cabinet. It's just a non-user serviceable cabinet, really.

The lack of ports showing anything is.. odd. Need to talk to your network admin there. I'd have to actually get in to look at it to find it myself; I can't remember it clearly enough to walk you through that particular step.

There has got to be some workstation somewhere configured as a management station, though.. please tell me the guy who left had a desktop, and nobody wiped it out?

Okay, at this point we're at a major impasse.

I'm not comfortable attempting to talk you through a system I'm not that familiar with, and I don't think it's realistic to expect that you're going to be able to figure anything out yourself in short order. At this point, the best I can recommend is a consultant. If you need help finding a reputable one, shoot me a PM, and I will poke around my network to see if I can find a TagmaStore expert for you.

Back