Hisense 4k@60hz starting at $598

Hisense introduced Tuesday the first model in a new affordably priced 4K Ultra HD television line featuring a new smart TV platform and 4K UHD streaming.

The 50-inch Hisense H7 Series 4K UHD LED-LCD TV will roll out to 2,000 Walmart Stores beginning in June at a $598 kick-off price, and carries an “industry leading” 4-year warranty, the company said.

More on the new Hisense 4K Ultra HDTV series after the break:

The Hisense 50H7GB made its formal debut at the Hisense 4K TV 300 in Charlotte on May 23rd. It will be followed by 55- and 65-inch models in the series, with availability and pricing for those sets to be announced later, a Hisense spokesperson told HD Guru.

The LED LCD TV features 3840×2160 4K UHD resolution, which is four times that of 1080p Full HD sets.

Hisense said the sets will also be equipped with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant connectors with Hisense “premium” 4K Ultra HD up-conversion available through all inputs so that lower-resolution content coming into the TV is up-scaled to near 4K UHD resolution for presentation on the screen.

The H7 series models are equipped with 4 HDMI ports:

Two on the rear are HDMI V2.0 with HDCP V2.2 supporting 4K content up to 60fps
Two on the side are HDMI v1.4 with HDCP v2.0 supporting 4K content up to 30fps.
For gaming and other applications, Hisense said the H7 models will support Full HD content at frame rates up to 120fps via HDMI 2.0.
http://hdguru.com/hisense-introduces-598-50-4k-uhd-tv-through-walmart/#more-16018

Any new device will require the Silicon Image SiL9777 chip for full HDMI 2.0. It will likely come first on flagship television displays costing thousands of dollars.

More than likely this TV does NOT support 4:4:4 chroma at UHD 60Hz.

sRGB@4k and 120Hz@1080p was something that only Chinese pulled off in the past. i won't be surprised if they are also the first to deliver 4k@60hz + 1080p@120hz. remember that China is the biggest market for 4k displays worldwide

The long wait for guinea pigs to test the input lag and chroma support for us. :)

sRGB@4k and 120Hz@1080p was something that only Chinese pulled off in the past. i won't be surprised if they are also the first to deliver 4k@60hz + 1080p@120hz. remember that China is the biggest market for 4k displays worldwide

I would be pleasantly surprised if this display does indeed support 4:4:4 at 60Hz with low input lag. For $600 if it's flicker free I would buy it in an instant. I just don't have high hopes so someone else will have to be test it first. :D

Notice it says these will be available for Walmart. You can just buy one from them and return it without restocking fee.

They're also popping up in-store at certain locations as well. I can't wait to see the test results for input lag, frame-skipping, 4:4:4, etc.

Because I love you guys (not really), I decided to try this monitor out and see if it would be usable and report back.

For those wanting the TL;DR -- avoid this TV like the plague!

Settings: GTX 970, Windows 7, TV in game mode, all processing turned off, all sharpening, color enhancements, blur reduction, etc, turned off, HDMI 3 and 4 tested (HDMI 1&2 only allowed 24Hz max).

1. As reported elsewhere, yes it skips frames at 4k 60Hz and also 1920x1080 120Hz, but not at 1920x1080 60Hz.

2. It's only 4:2:2 at both 4k 60Hz and 1920x1080 60Hz.

3. At 4k, it overscans the screen (Firefox maximized -- notice the top left tab), even with overscan turned off.

4. I could actually measure lag by hand with a stopwatch, varying between 1/5 second and 1/2 second depending on the TV's processor overloading.

5. The TV processor overloaded a lot, causing blank screens. The blurbuster ufo test could easily cause this by merely maximizing Chrome while the test was running. I think the software actively tries to determine which alternating frames it should drop based on how much changes between frames. When running the black frame insertion test, I could consistently see the TV switch from showing the bottom ufo image to showing nothing.

This TV was so bad I didn't even bother breaking out my semi-pro camera or the oscilloscope to do a more professional report. There was no firmware update available when selecting it on the menu, but it's my belief that there is no firmware update that can solve these problems since the processor is so severely underpowered. Do yourself a favor and stay far, far away from this TV.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to add: this TV includes a EULA you must agree to before setting it up that, among other things, requires you assign to Hisense the copyright to all software you may develop that is displayed through this TV! They probably meant for it to be only software developed for their Hisense app service, but the way it is worded, it includes everything you create that you view on this TV.

Because I love you guys (not really), I decided to try this monitor out and see if it would be usable and report back.

For those wanting the TL;DR -- avoid this TV like the plague!

Settings: GTX 970, Windows 7, TV in game mode, all processing turned off, all sharpening, color enhancements, blur reduction, etc, turned off, HDMI 3 and 4 tested (HDMI 1&2 only allowed 24Hz max).

1. As reported elsewhere, yes it skips frames at 4k 60Hz and also 1920x1080 120Hz, but not at 1920x1080 60Hz.

2. It's only 4:2:2 at both 4k 60Hz and 1920x1080 60Hz.

3. At 4k, it overscans the screen (Firefox maximized -- notice the top left tab), even with overscan turned off.

4. I could actually measure lag by hand with a stopwatch, varying between 1/5 second and 1/2 second depending on the TV's processor overloading.

5. The TV processor overloaded a lot, causing blank screens. The blurbuster ufo test could easily cause this by merely maximizing Chrome while the test was running. I think the software actively tries to determine which alternating frames it should drop based on how much changes between frames. When running the black frame insertion test, I could consistently see the TV switch from showing the bottom ufo image to showing nothing.

This TV was so bad I didn't even bother breaking out my semi-pro camera or the oscilloscope to do a more professional report. There was no firmware update available when selecting it on the menu, but it's my belief that there is no firmware update that can solve these problems since the processor is so severely underpowered. Do yourself a favor and stay far, far away from this TV.

This sounds like a different tv than received by other folks, who didn't seem to have 200-500ms lag, etc. Why did you use such a short shutter time for the frameskip test? "Processor overloading" also makes no sense esp with everything turned off, these are realtime video processors.

This sounds like a different tv than received by other folks, who didn't seem to have 200-500ms lag, etc.

I could literally click on the mouse and tap on a stopwatch simultaneously, then tap again when the screen changed. Even accounting for the approximately 200ms reaction time, that still leaves 300ms of delay in the test. I tried multiple times after resetting, reconfiguring, and changing inputs, still with the same result. I can't even come close to doing repeatable timings by hand on my (now very old) current monitors, even though their lag is almost on the verge of being unplayable.

Why did you use such a short shutter time for the frameskip test?

"This TV was so bad I didn't even bother breaking out my semi-pro camera or the oscilloscope to do a more professional report." I was using my cellphone for the preliminary tests, but was so discouraged by the results I didn't even bother breaking out the camera and tripod.

"Processor overloading" also makes no sense esp with everything turned off, these are realtime video processors.

Most embedded cpus for media applications will use some sort of RTOS for event deterministic processing. If you have a processor with lots of horsepower, you can get away with using programming paradigms that work on generic desktop OSes since the extra horsepower will cover up many of the real-time inefficiencies inherent in that type of code. For embedded cpus with limited processing power and memory, you better make damn sure your algorithms don't block, don't waste memory, and respond to interrupts in a timely, coordinated fashion.

The test results had all the earmarks of poorly designed embedded code on an underpowered processor, including, but not limited to: stutter response when amount of incoming data increases, losing state changes with increased data input, resetting/recycling into unknown states with increased data input, not to mention the blatant frame-skipping for the higher frame rates.

This TV is just bad for gaming and there were no changes I could make to any settings or test procedures to make the outcome better.

The dsp-like video processing features for these procs are baked into the HW, ie ASIC. They're not running some complicated algorithm in software like it's some android app.

Exactly, which is why there shouldn't have been so many issues when all post-processing was turned off. (The processing code still has to do things like: either send the buffers to the ASIC or set registers values for the ASIC to index into the buffers, at the same time respond to interrupts from the HDMI PHY and copy/move buffers from there, as well as possibly scan in a timer loop for user input if interrupts aren't implemented. It was also apparently comparing frames to determine which alternating ones to drop).

I haven't seen any evidence it selectively drops frames. Someone on AVS/SD forums posted a longer shutter shot and it always seems to alternate.

Also I somehow doubt any display-related code needs to actively run/changed in the same UI loop for simple display in these dedicated video chips. They're not doing anything the ASIC wasn't specifically built to do already. The registers or whatever should be able to set and left that way (ie hands-off). Of course if something is supposedly badly done/designed anything is possible.

The dsp-like video processing features for these procs are baked into the HW, ie ASIC. They're not running some complicated algorithm in software like it's some android app.

Actually they are, this uses a Mediatek ARM SoC.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. There's some general purpose CPU functionality to run the smart-tv stuff, but the video processing is generally run in dedicated HW.

netflix at 4k on this set is impressive, especially considering the price of $498 online - but literally that's the only area where it shines

amazon 4k isn't an option, yes there is an amazon app, no you cannot watch uhd content, the tile is missing and as of 8/14/2015 there is no way to update the tv nor the app to allow 4k

my gtx970 thinks the tv's native resolution is 1080p and when set to that things respond well, but bump it up to the real native and roughly a half second lag is introduced

hisense makes more than a few claims about this tv that just aren't true - 4:4:4 @ 4k60hz is just one of them

sub $500 is an amazing price for a 50" 4k tv, and the set is capable of truly stunning image quality - but the cons heavily outweigh the pros, this one is headed back to walmart tomorrow

Let me know where you can find a 55 inch curved 4K under $1000 new. And it's out of stock because it isn't in stock yet.

buysquad has the samsung UN55JU6700 on sale for $979.99:

http://www.buysquad.com/product.aspx?pf_id=UN55JU6700&gclid=CN-soLXv6scCFZSCaQod23sOGw

They seem to have a pretty good reseller rating:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Buysquad_com

Slickdeals shows a couple of other expired deals for 55" curved 4K displays:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8073240-55-...led-hdtv-900-free-shipping?v=1&src=SiteSearch

http://slickdeals.net/f/8061106-sam...ree-shipping-tax-free-for-many?src=SiteSearch

http://slickdeals.net/e/7671760-sam...-120hz-smart-led-tv-892-55?v=1&src=SiteSearch

Back