High temps on RX6800XT after a re-paste?

DaCoOlNeSs

[H]ard|Gawd
Recently I re-pasted my AMD reference 6800XT and I've been experiencing some very high temperatures afterwards.

The previous owner had re-done the past on his own and it was typically running 95C junction with high fan speeds stock... so I thought I would get in and re-do it with some better paste myself.

I've re-done it twice now, and also replaced the memory pads with 1.5mm pads based on this post: https://www.overclock.net/threads/6800xt-reference-thermal-pad-specs.1794784/ and each time as soon as I launch a game it's instantly running at 110C junction. When I take the cooler off it seems like it has good contact so I'm at a bit of a loss. How could the temps be higher with better paste?

Has anyone experienced this before and have any feedback? It seems like maybe the cooler isn't mounting firmly enough but the screws are more than tight enough and the thermal pads on the memory shouldn't be too thick. What am I doing wrong here? This isn't my first time applying thermal paste, I've done it probably hundreds of times so I'm a bit baffled why it isn't working correctly on this card.

Can you provide pictures of the card with the paste, and a picture of the cooler side that contacts the card?

I ended up ordering some Gelid 1mm pads on Amazon and put them in, so now the card is functioning back at 100%. Surprising that the person in that post said use 2mm... not sure what pads are that soft but 1mm seems to work just fine on the memory for me

I ended up ordering some Gelid 1mm pads on Amazon and put them in, so now the card is functioning back at 100%. Surprising that the person in that post said use 2mm... not sure what pads are that soft but 1mm seems to work just fine on the memory for me
1669734947479.jpeg

Whenever you read posts from people and they don't include exactly which pads they are using then don't trust it.

I might have to do this too. My new 6900XT runs at 60-65C gaming and the hot spot is 110C all the time basically. I've had 3 or 4 crashes just today.

Did you add 1mm nylon washers like he did? If you didn't, that might be why.

Back