High IPD - am I out of the VR game before I started?

modi123

Supreme [H]ardness
With some down time on my hands I've been looking at getting a VR set. Knowing I have a big ol' noggin I measured my IPD (inter pupil distance) with a ruler and a mirror and got a 75mm.

Seems that falls well above most of the given IPD for headsets.

Anyone with a high IPD using a headset to decent use?

Oh, and glasses are a thing here as well.

There are no certain answers. I know people with high IPD that have no problems and others that do.

You won't know for sure until you try a headset on.

Glasses shouldn't be a problem for most of the decent headsets.

Yup, figured it's going to be a gamble on a headset. May have gone down too far a rabbit hole where IPD was the focus.

With some down time on my hands I've been looking at getting a VR set. Knowing I have a big ol' noggin I measured my IPD (inter pupil distance) with a ruler and a mirror and got a 75mm.

Seems that falls well above most of the given IPD for headsets.

Anyone with a high IPD using a headset to decent use?

Oh, and glasses are a thing here as well.
Vive and Vive Pro max is 73mm, that is the largest I know of.
Valve Index is 70 max
Samsung Odesey+ max is 72mm
Oculus Quest is 72mm
Oculus Rift S is the lowest of the bunch - 65.5mm

Best to try one on, friends, store (whenever available). I would bet the Vive or Vive Pro would work for you. The Odesey+ and Oculus Quest may too. Not the valve index and especially not the Rift S.

As for Glasses, The Vive Pro you can adjust in and out for the lens and there is tons of room for glasses, same with the Vive. The Odesey+ it says specifically not to wear glasses, the lenes are right next to your face and they have no adjustment in or out.

I have Vive, Vive Pro and Odesey+. My favorite is the Vive Pro.

Last edited:
The Vive Cosmos Elite has 61-73mm IPD as well, supports glasses, review here:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/htc-vive-cosmos-elite-external-tracking-faceplate

One left on Amazon at Suggested Retail Price, w/ code for HL ALYX:
https://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Elite...084ZRYVT7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pl_foot_top?ie=UTF8

Also available at Newegg w/ HL ALYX:
https://www.newegg.com/htc-cosmos-elite/p/N82E16826918041?Description=Vive Cosmos Elite&cm_re=Vive_Cosmos_Elite-_-9SIA4P0B7V3006-_-Product&quicklink=true

I would buy an Index but I don't think it would work for you, my IPD is 67mm, I wear glasses but don't need to for VR.

Edit: I would not recommend the Vive Cosmos, only the Vive Cosmos Elite. The Vive Cosmos Elite uses Lighthouse tracking which is about the best you can do for tracking. The Vive Cosmos has inside out tracking, using cameras mounted on the headset which many found to be terrible, even after many fixes, without accurate controller and headset tracking VR will not work.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

To be fair I have a 8.25" fitted hat so it evens out. The kicker is the being 5'2 and still buying clothes from the kid's section.

OP, I remember seeing a video of someone with a larger than 72mm IPD trying out the Pimax.
(74mm and change). I tracked down the video. Hope this helps. It's the first guy in the video.

Back