Herman Miller Embody

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Anyone using this and if so is it worth it? I like my Aeron at work but want something luxurious for home office and PC gaming.

I'm a year late in posting this but I own one. It's worth it for me. I've had it for 6 years now.

20210705_204136.jpg

It depends on what you're looking to get out of it. To me, this chair screams content creation, streaming, creativity, and productivity (I game on it as well). It compliments my big 4k monitor. It's also luxurious as you mentioned; it definitely draws attention and others will want to sit on it. It is anywhere between $1.2K to $1.6K depending on customizations.

https://store.hermanmiller.com/home-office-chairs/embody-chair/4737.html?lang=en_US
Mine is customized. White/Titanium, 2.5" translucent hard floor casters, and a breathable fabric (it seems Herman Miller no longer offers this fabric shown in my pic).
They also have a Gaming (Logitech) version of this chair. I've never sat in that one so I can't comment on that.

You can read and watch plenty of reviews on this chair. Many reviews I've come across focuses mainly on what's in front of you. In the image above, I often lean sideways to play a few notes (piano). The backrest will flex a bit instead of feeling too stiff. There's less obstruction. This is the biggest differentiator compared to other chairs.

The Embody has more adjustment features than Aeron: Seat depth, backfit adjustment (it's better than Aeron's PostureFit SL), and tilt limiter.
The hard floor casters are buttery smooth. You'll never want to go back to those cheap plastic casters ever again.

A-2C7F-4D86-9B3C671AEA6DC230&rect=0%2C0%2C.9999%2C.jpg

I'll explain as best I can how it feels when sitting down on one:
From top to bottom:
I can't comment on the fabric because it's a personal preference and they no longer offer the one I have. I paid more on the custom fabric over the standard one because it was more breathable.

The next layer is like sitting on a flexible plastic mesh. It's similar to Aeron in feel.

The next layer (looks like dry instant ramen noodles) is what stands out; the Aeron chair doesn't have this. It feels stiff and springy when you hit the bottom (like sitting on a new bed when bed springs are new). If you're heavy, you'll feel it more (disclaimer, I'm average build). If you like to "drop" yourself onto it, you'll feel it most. It feels bouncy. It feels weird if you like to sit with your legs on the seat (not recommended, it's bad posture). Under normal usage for long hours, it feels great.

The last layer is rubber. It's negligible.

One last note. This chair (especially the titanium base) is HEAVY.🏋️‍♂️

I hope this helps.

I have three embodies. I absolutely love them, but they are not perfect.

1. They will creak
2. There are two spots towards the outside front of the cushion (on opposite sides) that will wear in about 1.5yrs. This has happened on all three of mine, but Herman Miller covered all of them under warranty. It's almost like there is a sharp point inside the cushion that abrades the fabric.
3. Dust collects EVERYWHERE in the back of them and underneath. There are tons of crevices that are hard to vacuum and clean.

On the flip side, they are the most comfortable chairs I've ever used - once you get them dialed in for your physique (watch youtube videos). I feel like given the price, I shouldn't have to deal with creaking and fabric wear - but I've tried all the ergonomic chairs and none of them are more comfortable, so I deal with it.

sitting in one now, and have been since 2012! getting a new gas lift for it next month!

Would buy one again, if not this one, then a HAG!

go look it up

Henrik

I have three embodies. I absolutely love them, but they are not perfect.

1. They will creak
2. There are two spots towards the outside front of the cushion (on opposite sides) that will wear in about 1.5yrs. This has happened on all three of mine, but Herman Miller covered all of them under warranty. It's almost like there is a sharp point inside the cushion that abrades the fabric.
3. Dust collects EVERYWHERE in the back of them and underneath. There are tons of crevices that are hard to vacuum and clean.

On the flip side, they are the most comfortable chairs I've ever used - once you get them dialed in for your physique (watch youtube videos). I feel like given the price, I shouldn't have to deal with creaking and fabric wear - but I've tried all the ergonomic chairs and none of them are more comfortable, so I deal with it.

I'll second the dust, but i haven't any of the other issues.

yes, they are heavy but they are not for lifting ;-) for sitting! ;-)

I finally got one. I should have gone for white, but I got black, translucent casters but I upgraded the fabric to balance black. Balance is the breathable fabric Feels awesome! You can get still get the balance fabric if you call in a custom order. Balance is what Brncao is talking about. It is much more comfortable than my Aeron.

Okay so I finally got my Logitech Embody. Feels comfortable after I got it dialed in and I'm extremely happy with it. Have to get used to not having a headrest but it's comfortable enough that I don't miss having a headrest. I have sat in it for like 5 hours straight without my butt hurting.

I have a 2022 secret lab which was comfortable in the beginning but less than a year later, my ass would start to go numb after sitting for only a few hours on it. I also had a Steelcase Gesture but no matter how many different ways I adjusted that, I had back pain that never went away. I don't think the Gesture was right for my body for some reason.

So my question for anyone who has owned an Embody for a while, does the seat cushion wear out? If it does, can you get a replacement under warranty and is it hard to replace?

Okay so I finally got my Logitech Embody. Feels comfortable after I got it dialed in and I'm extremely happy with it. Have to get used to not having a headrest but it's comfortable enough that I don't miss having a headrest. I have sat in it for like 5 hours straight without my butt hurting.

I have a 2022 secret lab which was comfortable in the beginning but less than a year later, my ass would start to go numb after sitting for only a few hours on it. I also had a Steelcase Gesture but no matter how many different ways I adjusted that, I had back pain that never went away. I don't think the Gesture was right for my body for some reason.

So my question for anyone who has owned an Embody for a while, does the seat cushion wear out? If it does, can you get a replacement under warranty and is it hard to replace?

So there is not really a cushion on it to wear out, and the plastic linkage will never wear out. I have one that is going maybe 10 or 11 years and it's totally fine. I did replace the fabric since it tends to wear on two specific spots. HM will allow you to pay for re-upholstering and when you do, you should be good to go for another 5-10 years.

So there is not really a cushion on it to wear out, and the plastic linkage will never wear out. I have one that is going maybe 10 or 11 years and it's totally fine. I did replace the fabric since it tends to wear on two specific spots. HM will allow you to pay for re-upholstering and when you do, you should be good to go for another 5-10 years.

The logitech version does have some wxtra cushion vs stand version. I have had mine 6 months now. Chair os not perfect but my back pain has improved

The logitech version does have some wxtra cushion vs stand version. I have had mine 6 months now. Chair os not perfect but my back pain has improved

What are your gripes with it? I am loving mine so far. My only minor complaint is that it creeks a bit when moving around in it and maybe that it moves too easily on my hard mat.

What are your gripes with it? I am loving mine so far. My only minor complaint is that it creeks a bit when moving around in it and maybe that it moves too easily on my hard mat.

It creaks. The padding on the arm rests could be better. If i grab the chair by the arm to move it it often moves the arm in or out. When trying to adjust arms in or out it often goes farther than i want and i have to go back and then it goes too far back... annoying but not a dealbreaker.

I've been using an Aeron for over 10 years. My wife got an Embody a year ago and I've tried it a fair amount. I like the Embody, but I prefer the Aeron.

I've been using an Aeron for over 10 years. My wife got an Embody a year ago and I've tried it a fair amount. I like the Embody, but I prefer the Aeron.

Yeah i kind of wish i had gone Aeron. My last chair was mesh staples hykin . I miss the headrest and i dont feel as comfortable sitting in a fabric seat. Stability and comfort is way better vs staples chair (which fell apart in 3 years)

The only thing that makes me take a pause on an Aeron is the seat itself and that front lip. I'm 5'7 if I'm being generous. 175 lbs. I have run into complaints that it can be stiff and "cut" into the back of your leg and be uncomfortable for some.

I find myself going around in the Embody-Aeron-Leap-Amia fence sitting back and forth with myself.

I need to make a chair upgrade. Ideally, I wish I could demo some of these chairs. (Nothing relatively near me.) I am recovering from a lumbar radiculopathy issue that is going on for two months now with double sciatica and some other fun. (Long story)

I am not worried about buying a bad chair. I just want to be sure I pick the right one for me.

Last edited:
The only thing that makes me take a pause on an Aeron is the seat itself and that front lip. I'm 5'7 if I'm being generous. 175 lbs. I have run into complaints that it can be stiff and "cut" into the back of your leg and be uncomfortable for some.

I find myself going around in the Embody-Aeron-Leap-Amia fence sitting back and forth with myself.

I need to make a chair upgrade. Ideally, I wish I could demo some of these chairs. (Nothing relatively near me.) I am recovering from a lumbar radiculopathy issue that is going on for two months now with double sciatica and some other fun. (Long story)

I am not worried about buying a bad chair. I just want to be sure I pick the right one for me.
The aeron has better lumbar support. The embody has a better seat pan. The aeron can be locked in a forward position that is more usable than the embody's version of this feature. The embody has better arms. The Aeron is more breathable but if you spec Balance fabric the embody is close. The aeron is easier to transition for leaning back to upright sitting. The embody is more of a set it and forget it type chair. The embody requires excellent posture to work properly. The aeron is more forgiving.

The lumbar support on the Embody is odd. If you adjust so that it hugs your upper back, you loose lumbar support. If you adjust for more lumbar, you loose support of the upper shoulders. It is designed to be dialed into mirror your spine curvature, but in practice I don't think it works as well as it should. Both are comfortable chairs I can sit in for hours.

I think what it comes down to is that the Aeron has better dynamic performance. The embody is better if you have to strap yourself in for an entire day of work. But if you are constantly switching between leaning back in chair and leaning forward in chair and are in and out of the chair all day, the Aeron is the better chair.

If you do get Embody, custom order the Balance fabric. It breathes and adds some extra padding.

I like them both but if I had to pick just one, I'd go Aeron. You are less likely to regret it.

They both seem built like absolute tanks.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Regarding the seat pan in back of legs things, it happens and Embody is better for this issue. But I used Aeron for 10 years without this issue really being an issue.

like this
I picked up a Logitech one at the start of covid when the whole WFH thing became the norm. Went with them as it was comfortable, the warranty is good, and Herman Miller is right here in Grand Rapids, MI. If I have issues, I can just go yeet it at them.

I really like it, my only thing I would change about it, is I wish it had a headrest. I know why it doesn't etc, I just find them comfortable and would have loved to have one for stretching out a bit more in the chair.

I picked up a Logitech one at the start of covid when the whole WFH thing became the norm. Went with them as it was comfortable, the warranty is good, and Herman Miller is right here in Grand Rapids, MI. If I have issues, I can just go yeet it at them.

I really like it, my only thing I would change about it, is I wish it had a headrest. I know why it doesn't etc, I just find them comfortable and would have loved to have one for stretching out a bit more in the chair.

https://atlasheadrest.com/ They are working on a headrest for the Embody. Herman Miller people basically formed this company. You might want to keep an eye on it.

I got an aeron in 2012 and am a large man, the local dealer ordered a gigantic one for me and brought it to my house and up the stairs, and since then my wife bought a smaller one. If it breaks now that it's finally out of warranty I'd pay to repair it or if the repair was more than a third the cost of a new one I'd purchase a new one.

Getting ready to order a chair on Friday and I'm torn.
Dad has a loaded XL Aeron and I like it, not sure if like it for all day sitting though, and reclining with my feet up on desk for controller gaming sessions.
I can't decide if I want the Embody or the Gesture. I'm 6'0, currently 264, down from 300 in July, on my way to 220.
I work from home 2-3 days a week and don't leave my chair for 10-14 hours. I'm typically leaning forward a bit, typing away in Siebel CRM and Outlook on my work laptop.
Then, workout, and, I may want to recline and watch a movie on my CX if the wife is occupying the living room or simply play a game with a controller, reclined. Certainly not going to continue leaned over another keyboard lol.

Getting ready to order a chair on Friday and I'm torn.
Dad has a loaded XL Aeron and I like it, not sure if like it for all day sitting though, and reclining with my feet up on desk for controller gaming sessions.
I can't decide if I want the Embody or the Gesture. I'm 6'0, currently 264, down from 300 in July, on my way to 220.
I work from home 2-3 days a week and don't leave my chair for 10-14 hours. I'm typically leaning forward a bit, typing away in Siebel CRM and Outlook on my work laptop.
Then, workout, and, I may want to recline and watch a movie on my CX if the wife is occupying the living room or simply play a game with a controller, reclined. Certainly not going to continue leaned over another keyboard lol.
I'll confirm your suspicion that the aeron will not be great in feet up use. I've been using them at the home office and the work desks for many years now. They are excellent for sitting up and working upright positions for long hours but leaning back with your feet up; not so much. Fine leaning back and relaxing/stretching but feet up is where they lose their comfort in my experience. I haven't tried an embody in this way so I can't comment on that. The gesture we have in some workspaces and meeting rooms and they're fine but also no experience in a totally relaxed position or long hours.

Probably not a lot of help but just though I'd chime in as a decades long aeron user.

Good hunting for a chair, let us know. I need to set up a small space (36" wide) adjustable height desk with a new chair so I've been nosing around for alternatives. I've been toying with the idea of trying something besides another aeron for this spot.

I'll confirm your suspicion that the aeron will not be great in feet up use. I've been using them at the home office and the work desks for many years now. They are excellent for sitting up and working upright positions for long hours but leaning back with your feet up; not so much. Fine leaning back and relaxing/stretching but feet up is where they lose their comfort in my experience. I haven't tried an embody in this way so I can't comment on that. The gesture we have in some workspaces and meeting rooms and they're fine but also no experience in a totally relaxed position or long hours.

Probably not a lot of help but just though I'd chime in as a decades long aeron user.

Good hunting for a chair, let us know. I need to set up a small space (36" wide) adjustable height desk with a new chair so I've been nosing around for alternatives. I've been toying with the idea of trying something besides another aeron for this spot.
Thanks for the info.
After sitting in dad's Aeron some more today, sitting in one of my vendor's Gestures today as well, decided on the HM x Logitech Embody edition, for the extra seat pad.
Herman Miller has 25% off on their website on right now, so that made the chair ~$1400 shipped with taxes. Couldn't pass that up. That 12 year warranty is pretty wicked as well. Every HM chair I've sat in has been amazing.
Supposed to be here on 1DEC.

So I ordered the Logitech edition Embody. Hated it almost immediately. My shoulders too broad for it, seatpan made my hips hurt, and massive hotspot in my lower lumbar that I was unable to adjust out(had to do with some reinforcement materials on the back at the lumbar).. Not to mention the severe lack of adjustability in the armwrests made it to where just the very tip of my elbow was at the very tip of the wrest when at typing position. I did LOVE how I could rock in it though.I initiated a return within a few hours of receiving it. It took them 7 days to issue my return label for FedEx which I assume is some sort of buyers remorse counteraction.
At the time that I initiated the return, I went ahead an ordered an Aeron "Gaming" This is just a regular large Aeron with adjustable armwrests, tilt lock, multi-surface casters, and lumbar support that they wrap up on a package and call "gaming". They said it would take 5-6 weeks for shipping. I obviously didn't want to wait this long, but I went ahead and ordered it anyway. Next morning the wife was doing the bills and she came and said HM had debited the money. I checked my email and I had been issued a tracking number already. Woah, that was fast. My guess was that because this was a phone order instead of a web order that it shipped from one of the gallery stores. It showed HM Atlanta instead of shipping from the factory in Ohio. Anyway, it arrived OVERNIGHT to central Kentucky.

Zero back pain, no hip pain, no hot spots under my legs or anywhere. Only complaint is no headwrest (solved with Atlas, on the way), and I do wish the armwrest slid foward a few more inches. But this should have been what I ordered to begin with. Dad has the "executive" version or whatever its called, all chromed out and fancy and I've spent many hours in his, not sure why I didn't just get what I already knew was greatness. I do feel that the seatpan isn't as wide as his, I need to have him measure it.. I ordered the large or size C, whatever it's called. It doesn't say on the box what size it is, so not sure.

6'0 260lbs

like this
So I ordered the Logitech edition Embody. Hated it almost immediately. My shoulders too broad for it, seatpan made my hips hurt, and massive hotspot in my lower lumbar that I was unable to adjust out(had to do with some reinforcement materials on the back at the lumbar).. Not to mention the severe lack of adjustability in the armwrests made it to where just the very tip of my elbow was at the very tip of the wrest when at typing position. I did LOVE how I could rock in it though.I initiated a return within a few hours of receiving it. It took them 7 days to issue my return label for FedEx which I assume is some sort of buyers remorse counteraction.
At the time that I initiated the return, I went ahead an ordered an Aeron "Gaming" This is just a regular large Aeron with adjustable armwrests, tilt lock, multi-surface casters, and lumbar support that they wrap up on a package and call "gaming". They said it would take 5-6 weeks for shipping. I obviously didn't want to wait this long, but I went ahead and ordered it anyway. Next morning the wife was doing the bills and she came and said HM had debited the money. I checked my email and I had been issued a tracking number already. Woah, that was fast. My guess was that because this was a phone order instead of a web order that it shipped from one of the gallery stores. It showed HM Atlanta instead of shipping from the factory in Ohio. Anyway, it arrived OVERNIGHT to central Kentucky.

Zero back pain, no hip pain, no hot spots under my legs or anywhere. Only complaint is no headwrest (solved with Atlas, on the way), and I do wish the armwrest slid foward a few more inches. But this should have been what I ordered to begin with. Dad has the "executive" version or whatever its called, all chromed out and fancy and I've spent many hours in his, not sure why I didn't just get what I already knew was greatness. I do feel that the seatpan isn't as wide as his, I need to have him measure it.. I ordered the large or size C, whatever it's called. It doesn't say on the box what size it is, so not sure.

6'0 260lbs

There are only 3 sizes and C is the biggest, B is the middle and A is the smallest.

You ordered something else because you were curious if something else was better. I'm always curious too, but I've yet to sit in anything better than an Aeron and have never heard anyone disatisfied with an Aeron. The only complaints I've ever heard is it doesn't have a headrest and you can't lean back, but office chairs really aren't supposed to do that.

There are only 3 sizes and C is the biggest, B is the middle and A is the smallest.

You ordered something else because you were curious if something else was better. I'm always curious too, but I've yet to sit in anything better than an Aeron and have never heard anyone disatisfied with an Aeron. The only complaints I've ever heard is it doesn't have a headrest and you can't lean back, but office chairs really aren't supposed to do that.

Indeed. Luckily former HM engineers started Atlas and have made a perfect headrest :)

6'0 260lbs
Thanks for posting your experience. I've used aerons for decades now and been very happy. About to outfit a third office and will probably just stick with another one. I'm 5'11" and 225 and pretty broad as well and I am right between a C and B so I've stayed with the C over the years and been very happy with them.

6'0 260lbs
I have both. I could recommend aeron to anyone without trying it. Embody is a must try before you buy product. It does not work for everyone. Embody is not a good chair for full on reclining, I think aeron is better for that. It is not a great chair for leaning forward either. I think aeron with the tilt lock in the forward position is better for that too. Embody is really only good if you have all the settings dialed in perfectly, including the tilt tension, to give you just the right amount of support to settle in for some serious typing. But aeron gives you a better variety of sitting positions, forward, back.

What embody is good for is all day work at the computer if you have reasonably good posture. I think for extended sessions, the seat pan of embody is more comfortable than Aeron. If I had to pick one to be stuck in for 8 hours of work per day, embody would be the one, but for normal everyday work and play aeron is the better choice. I bet 70% of people who try Embody hate it.

I ultimately like my Embody more than my aeron and it did help my back quite a bit, but it was not the comfy chair I thought it would be. You have to make a bit more effort with posture to make Embody work. I don't really recommend it.

I think the gaming branding on Embody is misleading--most gamers will not like the chair. It looks awesome, but I would not at all consider it a lean back with your controller chair. Nor is it a lean forward into your monitor chair. You have to aim for the ideal typing posture in Embody or it doesn't really work properly. Even then it will not work for a lot of people.

If you can't try Embody first, just get aeron. Anyone that gets an Embody at retail price without trying it is going to be in for a shock when it isn't the comfy chair they thought they were getting.

I have both. I could recommend aeron to anyone without trying it. Embody is a must try before you buy product. It does not work for everyone. Embody is not a good chair for full on reclining, I think aeron is better for that. It is not a great chair for leaning forward either. I think aeron with the tilt lock in the forward position is better for that too. Embody is really only good if you have all the settings dialed in perfectly, including the tilt tension, to give you just the right amount of support to settle in for some serious typing. But aeron gives you a better variety of sitting positions, forward, back.

What embody is good for is all day work at the computer if you have reasonably good posture. I think for extended sessions, the seat pan of embody is more comfortable than Aeron. If I had to pick one to be stuck in for 8 hours of work per day, embody would be the one, but for normal everyday work and play aeron is the better choice. I bet 70% of people who try Embody hate it.

I ultimately like my Embody more than my aeron and it did help my back quite a bit, but it was not the comfy chair I thought it would be. You have to make a bit more effort with posture to make Embody work. I don't really recommend it.

I think the gaming branding on Embody is misleading--most gamers will not like the chair. It looks awesome, but I would not at all consider it a lean back with your controller chair. Nor is it a lean forward into your monitor chair. You have to aim for the ideal typing posture in Embody or it doesn't really work properly. Even then it will not work for a lot of people.

If you can't try Embody first, just get aeron. Anyone that gets an Embody at retail price without trying it is going to be in for a shock when it isn't the comfy chair they thought they were getting.
Thanks for that, really helpful! Makes me feel better about not trying an embody type chair and just ordering another aeron.

like this

Nailed it. I have great posture and don't have the typical shrimp gamer type thing going on. I just have weird hips and lower back issues(that have stemmed from my POS work vehicle Equinox).

like this
Back