Here is why Spacex's Starlink should work:

The best solution is to move the electronics out of the dish to someplace cooler. I doubt the issue is the dish itself getting too hot. Some bonehead engineer put the electronics in the dish which is going to sit in the hot sun regardless of what anyone does. Plus, you're paying $500 for that equipment. Just bad craftsmanship.
Hint: It's a phased-array antenna. It's made of electronics. And those electronics can't be moved away from the antenna elements, because speed-of-light propagation time is critical. And it's wildly-inefficient by design, because by nature it has to burn power transmitting self-cancelling waveforms to steer the RF beam.

You're not going to substantively change the thermal load by juggling whatever cheese-grade ARM application processor they've got shuffling packets to the other end of a wire. It's going to involve actual RF electronics engineers, doing actual RF electronics engineering, while simultaneously trying to streamline manufacturing so that SpaceX isn't losing $500 on every unit they sell.

Broadband access in the US is still way too expensive. Even in big cities. I am currently working in Hong Kong on an expat assignment and 1 gigabit internet is ~$15 per month. Cost of living here is similar to New York.

I just figure they refuse to pay the absurd price, like myself, for base broadband access. You could get dialup for $8/mo (or free) before, but that's not good enough. Now you "need" at least DSL, which is $40/mo minimum, and there are no alternatives. A phone line is ~$20/mo, add dialup (if you can find a provider) and you're almost at $40 already...
This is what people don't understand.... Even a phone with local only costs $45 a month at my house, you can go get it for $20, which is less than 1/2 my cost. DSL is not available, cable is not available. 4g is so overloaded, and my 1 bar of wireless service makes it pretty useless. It's not just about people affording things, I was looking for internet options for my house with a $400 a month budget.... Best I could find close was 1.5mb/s T1... And that was $450 with 2 year contract and over $2k up front. I would easily pay $200 a month for starlink if it works near advertised speeds. The profit for a cable company to run lines around my house isn't high enough. Unless it's a packed neighborhood with lots of money, cable companies aren't interested, even with government funds, they over promise and under deliver and are never held accountable even while posting record profits while lowering internet speeds for their users to "better align with the industry, our network can easily handle it was though, but we can get by with offering less since we have no competition"

That’s ridiculous. That’s not going to work anywhere that gets even remotely hot. That’s an easy temperature to reach for any object in the direct sunlight. That sounds like a massive oversight.
Nowhere in Canada that doesn't have excellent internet already, is this an issue. Also Minnesota.

Nowhere in Canada that doesn't have excellent internet already, is this an issue. Also Minnesota.
I have no idea what the point of your comment is. Yes, this isn't an issue in places that are cool. o_O This is an issue where places are hot.

This is what people don't understand.... Even a phone with local only costs $45 a month at my house, you can go get it for $20, which is less than 1/2 my cost. DSL is not available, cable is not available. 4g is so overloaded, and my 1 bar of wireless service makes it pretty useless. It's not just about people affording things, I was looking for internet options for my house with a $400 a month budget.... Best I could find close was 1.5mb/s T1... And that was $450 with 2 year contract and over $2k up front. I would easily pay $200 a month for starlink if it works near advertised speeds. The profit for a cable company to run lines around my house isn't high enough. Unless it's a packed neighborhood with lots of money, cable companies aren't interested, even with government funds, they over promise and under deliver and are never held accountable even while posting record profits while lowering internet speeds for their users to "better align with the industry, our network can easily handle it was though, but we can get by with offering less since we have no competition"
There was a YouTube review of Starlink from a guy in middle-of-nowwhere-cow-farm USA. His only option was AT&T with a speed of around 1-1.5 Mbps. With Starlink he's getting 100-150 Mbps. And it's only going to get better as SpaceX continues sending satellites up above. It's $500 for the equipment and $99 a month for the service. I'm eager to try it. You can pre-order right now for $99 down and pay for the rest later once they actually ship it to you: https://www.starlink.com/

My ISP here is the devil and literally anything else will be better. They're a no competition company as well so they continue to suck horribly for all eternity. They own all of the infrastructure out here and won't share it with anyone.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the point of your comment is. Yes, this isn't an issue in places that are cool. o_O This is an issue where places are hot.
Last time I checked (a while ago) the stated objective of starlink was to bring high speed Internet to rural Canada and the Midwestern US. That might be a nod to the temperature limits of their antenna, but also representative of an almost entirely underserved populace. So my point was the temperature limits are not an issue within the stated objective.

Last time I checked (a while ago) the stated objective of starlink was to bring high speed Internet to rural Canada and the Midwestern US. That might be a nod to the temperature limits of their antenna, but also representative of an almost entirely underserved populace. So my point was the temperature limits are not an issue within the stated objective.
I'm pretty sure the objective is to bring broadband to planet earth, the end goal having 40,000+ satellites in orbit. I have never heard their objective as being Canada and Midwestern US.

Back