Help with overclocking 12600k, it doesn't want to stay at oc speed

Nebell

2[H]4U
So I'm trying to get the best out of my 12600k because reasons :)
I'm sure you understand.

I am able to run it (GHz, per p-core) 5.3, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1 and e-cores at 4.1GHz.
V-core at 1.29v.
I have 2 problems with the above.

Problem 1:
When running Cinebench R23 single core benchmark, the 5.3GHz doesn't always stay at 5.3 and instead bounces between 5.1 and 5.3.
Does anyone understand why? The temps never go above 60C (140F). The temps should be fine?

Problem 2:
When running Cinebench R23 multi core benchmark, all p-cores boost to 5.1GHz. The 5.3GHz oc is completely ignored.
Temps at no more than 90C (194F).

I tried setting v-core to 1.325v and had the same problem. Changed back to 1.29v because it's stable at this voltage even after the 10 minute test and runs a bit cooler.

This little 12600k is meant to be a placeholder for the 13th gen i9 when it comes out, but I'm pretty happy with it.
I'm getting 1970 single core and 19250 multi core results with the above overclock. But I want to squeeze every last bit out of its performance. If there's any help, I'm using Asus Maximus Z690 Formula.

Last edited:
all the speed stepping, c states and power savings turned off in bios?

all the speed stepping, c states and power savings turned off in bios?

It's on now, but turning it off didn't do anything. I think there must be some wierd bug with the bios.
If I change core 0 from 5.3ghz to 5.1ghz and then back to 5.3ghz, it still stays at 5.1ghz in Windows and doesn't want to go above. Even though I did not do any other changes.
I have to load another profile then back to 5.3ghz profile to get it to work.

Think I'm going to leave it as is. I tweaked the voltage to 1.285v and it's working fine.
Managed to get it to 2000+ single core and 19350 multi but at 5.4ghz single core which was at 1.3v and not as stable.

So I'm trying to get the best out of my 12600k because reasons :)
I'm sure you understand.

I am able to run it (GHz, per p-core) 5.3, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1 and e-cores at 4.1GHz.
V-core at 1.29v.
I have 2 problems with the above.

Problem 1:
When running Cinebench R23 single core benchmark, the 5.3GHz doesn't always stay at 5.3 and instead bounces between 5.1 and 5.3.
Does anyone understand why? The temps never go above 60C (140F). The temps should be fine?

Problem 2:
When running Cinebench R23 multi core benchmark, all p-cores boost to 5.1GHz. The 5.3GHz oc is completely ignored.
Temps at no more than 90C (194F).

I tried setting v-core to 1.325v and had the same problem. Changed back to 1.29v because it's stable at this voltage even after the 10 minute test and runs a bit cooler.

This little 12600k is meant to be a placeholder for the 13th gen i9 when it comes out, but I'm pretty happy with it.
I'm getting 1970 single core and 19250 multi core results with the above overclock. But I want to squeeze every last bit out of its performance. If there's any help, I'm using Asus Maximus Z690 Formula.
Its possible that, in the bios, rather than having the individual cores set, you have it set per amount of cores. So, 1 core is 5.3, but all cores is 5.1.

That's normal turbo behavior anyway. Intel's turbo their highest on 1 or 2 threads. But the all core turbo is 200mhz or more, less. If you want 1 core to always be at 5.3, even when all others are loaded to 5.1, you probably need a different setting or section of the bios. They can be confusing, with all of the options nowadays.

Additionally, it can be tough to ever actually see the 1thread or 2thread turbo speed. Because, its not exactly often that only 1 thread is really active. But also, some monitoring software don't poll often enough to see it. And finally, some bios actually don't correctly implement the 1 or 2 thread turbo. You might see it work on one bios, but be broken on another. Rinse and repeat.

Run Intel XTU and use it's monitoring since it'll tell you in real-time what is throttling. You're likely thermal or power throttling. You can then address the issue based on knowing what's actually throttling your speed.

Back