Help with getting full xfinty speed on Router

Baxter299

Limp Gawd
upgraded my speed to 1200 xfinty bought a motorola mb8611 when mb8611 is connetcted directly to my computer I get 1200 to 1400 down when I connect to my original router Tp link
ax5400 speeds were only 900 down
upgraded my router to Zyxel Armor G1 Multi-Gigabit AC2600 WiFi Router - . 1 x 2.5Gbps WAN Port, 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
, speeds are the same 900 ,tried 2 new cables the ones I used to connect directly to computer
both 1200 down ,I thought the Zyxel router with its 2.5 wan
I thought that would give me full speeds .
Can some one reccommend a New Router that will give me full speeds?
Thanks alot

upgraded my speed to 1200 xfinty bought a motorola mb8611 when mb8611 is connetcted directly to my computer I get 1200 to 1400 down when I connect to my original router Tp link
ax5400 speeds were only 900 down
upgraded my router to Zyxel Armor G1 Multi-Gigabit AC2600 WiFi Router - . 1 x 2.5Gbps WAN Port, 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports
, speeds are the same 900 ,tried 2 new cables the ones I used to connect directly to computer
both 1200 down ,I thought the Zyxel router with its 2.5 wan
I thought that would give me full speeds .

How were you connected to your router? Because if you are connecting to your router via Ethernet, and your router uses Gigabit on it's LAN ports, then you are not going to get faster than gigabit... And if you are expecting speeds that fast over WiFi then you have succumbed to the wildly exaggerated WiFi marketing.

The reason why a router might have 2.5Gbps WAN but only Gigabit on LAN is because more than one computer on the LAN might be using the internet at the same time.

You could try to find a router that has 2.5Gbps ports on the LAN side also.

How does it look if you run speed tests on two computers at once? Maybe the router supports link aggregation, and you can aggregate two of the gigE ports to your computer if gigE isn't enough (and if you're regularly communicating with sites that can manage > gigE to your house)

There are also routers with WiFi that can do well over 1Gb under proper (nearly ideal) conditions. Getting to ~1400 (what you really need to get full speed out of Comcast 1200/35 since they overprovision a bit) would probably take 802.11ax with a 160MHz wide channel. 802.11ac can break 1Gb on a 160MHz channel, but I'd be surprised if you could get to 1400. Maybe 1200-1300. Of course for that to work you'll need 802.11ax with 160Hz channel width on both ends.

Link aggregation is most useful when you have multiple clients or are doing a bunch of things at once. The problem with it is it generally doesn't support using both links for a single tcp stream, so downloads will generally top out at 1Gb. Depending on the load balancing algorithm you might get more running 2+ downloads at once.

The [H] way is to go find a router that can handle 2.5Gb+ on WAN and LAN, then flash it with a 3rd party firmware so you get more features. The really [H] way is to build a DIY router or use commercial equipment. Unless you have multiple people using it at once the sensible thing to do is downgrade to 900Mb since hardly any sites will cough up data at >1Gb speeds. I have seen it a few times though, and one time a steam download got up to 1400 briefly.

I have 1200/35 service from Comcast and went with a commercial router and access points + fiber setup. I cannot recommend my router (MikroTik RB5009) at this time due to annoying bugs. When using the 2.5Gb port for WAN any clients slower than my Internet speed end up getting ~250Mb through the SFP+ port, so I had to set up extra VLANs and double cable my SFP+ switch to the router. That way my computers with 10 & 2.5Gb NICs can get full speed through the SFP+ port and 1Gb and WiFi stuff goes through a 1Gb port on the router and gets ~850-900.

Back