Help with Evga X58 sli 3x

fbm2themex

n00b
Recently build a new computer from scratch. Finished putting it together. Turn it on, stays on for a few milliseconds and then it turns off (the fans start spinning, and lights start shinning for a few :( )

I plugged the PSU to another computer and it runs like a charm. I unplugged and replugged everything else, i was made sure to add the right thermal paste..and nada...

The only thing i can think of is that my psu may need another 8pin cord. im thinking the quad core needs more juice...or any ideas?

Specs:
Case: Coolmaster Cosmos S
Watercooler: Coolt Elite
graphics : GTX 285
Ram: 3 Corsair DDR3 (2GB Each)
CPU: intel quad core i7-930 2.8ghz
PSU: OCZ Z series 1000w
Motherboard: Evga X58 sli 3way

Assuming you plugged in the psu correctly. Have you checked the ram? try different slots with one stick.

Do you have the 4 pin cpu cord plugged into the 8 slot EPS on your mobo? That is the 8 pin slot I assume you refer to. I have had Asus mobos that worked with a single p4 connector in the 8 pin EPS slot, not sure about that EVGA board though. If you want to be cheap, you can buy an adapter that will conver the square 4 pin adapter into an 8 pin.

Truthfully, if your PSU doesn't have an EPS connector, you might want to consider getting a decent psu, like an Antec TP-750, or their EA-650 is nice too. I usually get Antec due to price and amp concerns.

The motherboard gives code readouts on the LED, what does it show on the LED display right before it shuts off?

You have a 1000watt Z series 83amp single 12v rail according to specs.. you do not need more juice. Make sure the EPS8 bin CPU connection is seated correctly into the board, and that you have not mistaken a 8pin PCIe connection instead (not sutre if that fits)

. I would recommend building it on your desk outside the case first, also I suppose it could be the stepping of your CPU (930) may require a BIOS update for that board to accept it. It could only be a few things if your losing power.

First of all, make sure the RAM is installed according to the big sticker that comes over the RAM slots.
Secondly, start by making sure you have the correct power cords to the correct inputs.
Third, you will need to make sure the BIOS accepts the CPU. That's a pretty new CPU, I'm assuming it's a Core i7 Socket 1366 right? You may need to flash the BIOS to the newest one.
I would recommend investigating this with the board out of the case and just the CPU, RAM and a GPU plugged in, that way you can easily isolate the problem. It's not the PSU. If you have the 24 pin and the 8 pin ATX connectors plugged in you have plenty of power........I run my EVGA Classified with one 8 pin AUX ATX and my 920 is way overclocked, no problems.....even though the board has the capacity to plug in two 8 pin AUX connectors.

If the board won't POST, start by using only one stick of RAM, then adding another, etc.
If still having problems, clear the CMOS.

Look at the LEDs an see what the error code says?

I had the exact same problem with my first X58 SLI board from EVGA and it turned out to be a dead board, had to RMA it. Make sure you registered it and it's worth the $20 to pay for an advanced RMA.

I'm thinking that something is shorting it. Check your standoffs and other metallic pieces within reach of your board.

ram: I left one stick and still the same results. :(

the motherboard itself doesnt give codes. its the onboard x58 chipset that has just a blinking red light. even when i havent turned it on and it doesn't look like there actually blinking codes.

Im thinking i'll remove the motherboard and check around for anything shorting it. il keep you guys posted. The watercooler came with a metal part that i needed to install under the motherboard (below the CPU). could that be the factor?

You have a 1000watt Z series 83amp single 12v rail according to specs.. you do not need more juice. Make sure the EPS8 bin CPU connection is seated correctly into the board, and that you have not mistaken a 8pin PCIe connection instead (not sutre if that fits)

. I would recommend building it on your desk outside the case first, also I suppose it could be the stepping of your CPU (930) may require a BIOS update for that board to accept it. It could only be a few things if your losing power.

Are you saying that my 930 may not be compatible with the motherboard till i update the bios? when i do update it, it will work?

Yeah, I know EVGA updated their CPU compatibility recently with a BIOS update, the current version is 49. The only way to update the bios is to have it booted and running, so you may need a different CPU to get it updated. I would call EVGA and talk with them regarding your situation. ALso build the system on your desk outside your case, and use the stock cooler for the time being until you can resolve the losing power issue.

Yeah, I know EVGA updated their CPU compatibility recently with a BIOS update, the current version is 49. The only way to update the bios is to have it booted and running, so you may need a different CPU to get it updated. I would call EVGA and talk with them regarding your situation. ALso build the system on your desk outside your case, and use the stock cooler for the time being until you can resolve the losing power issue.

Good to know, i'll call them first thing tomorrow morning. i'll keep you guys informed.

Please do, I also have the same processor and was about to order this board, but after reading this thread I'm a little scared

To update the BIOS, you'll need to put in an "older" CPU, unless EVGA can tell what the BIOS is that is installed by you reading them the serial number.

Secondly, your watercooling block may very well have contacted some solder points on the back of the board when installed, I'd definately make sure you have complete clearence of the board on the back.

I had to be very careful when I installed my Heatkiller, as the backplate was only clear of solder points by about 1-2 mm in several areas. Take a close look.

Good to know, i'll call them first thing tomorrow morning. i'll keep you guys informed.

They should take good care of you. Anytime I've had to deal with an issue, they sorted me quickly. One of the few places where you will talk with a human!

Hmmm, I wonder if the LE version my friend just got will have the same issue. He also has a 930. I hope you can get the issue resolved! I have the same board as you but with a 920 and it booted up fine. I did have to update the BIOS to get my RAM to run at XMP settings, though.

evga website support:

X58 Series Motherboard CPU Support
Socket 1366:

Bloomfield
Core i7 980X - 3.33 GHz**
Core i7 975 - 3.33 GHz
Core i7 965 - 3.20 GHz
Core i7 960 - 3.20 GHz
Core i7 950 - 3.06 GHz
Core i7 940 - 2.93 GHz
Core i7 930 - 2.80 GHz
Core i7 920 - 2.66 GHz
Xeon W3580 - 3.33 GHz
Xeon W3570 - 3.20 GHz
Xeon W3540 - 2.93 GHz
Xeon W3520 - 2.66 GHz

** The latest BIOS update is necessary to run the 980X on the X58 chipset.

I think you'll be OK, unfortunately they don't list the BIOS versions you'd need to have.

Please do, I also have the same processor and was about to order this board, but after reading this thread I'm a little scared

I'm also in the same boat.

Not to bring up a somewhat "dead" thread but I've been reading elsewhere about this problem.

I don't want to have to buy a i7 920 in order to install/update my i7-930,
I mean, even dealing with the shipping costs/return (if that's possible).

There has to be a better solution??

GRRR....i am on my 3rd RMA motherboard....i am concluding that its the CPU...i need to RMA it!!! I have bought a new PSU(Corsair), another graphics card and nothing. The last piece i haven't checked is the CPU... :(

Back