Help with Cisco Switches and VLAN 1

board2death986

[H]ard|Gawd
I have someone I'm trying to help out with a simple network that inherited some cisco switches. Apparently they were defaulted but VLAN 1 is still disabled (I understand why, not arguing that), but they need it re-enabled. I'm not too familiar with Cisco IOS as I haven't touched Cisco since taking some classes for the CCNA over 5 years ago. . .can anyone help a guy out with some tips on the commands I will need? I believe the models of switches are the 2950 for the rooms and a couple of 3750 switches for the main closet.

I already ordered the usb->console->RJ45 cable I'm going to need to connect, then I suppose I'll have to install drivers and use putty to access the console. . .that's where I'm currently at. I have about 10 of these to configure, and want to be in and out if I can as I'm doing this as a favor and it's a bit of a drive.

What switches are these?

Can you post the config?

Probably you need to assign a layer 2 port to that vlan before the vlan will be enabled.

Configuring VLANs

Configuring LAN ports for layer 2 switching

The above instructions depends on what switches you are using, what OS you are using and a few other factors.

EDIT: Oops, just noticed you posted the switch model numbers. The above config guides should work for those models as well. Good luck!

Last edited:
woops just realized I posted this in the gallery. . .can a mod move this to Networking & Security? :(

Back