Help reinstalling Windows please

SLP Firehawk

Limp Gawd
I want to do a fresh OS install on an existing computer already running Win7 Pro 64 but I don't have my Win7 Pro 64 Disc. My computer does have the windows sticker stuck on the side of the case with the product key.

I also have a windows 7 disc that I bought and installed on a different computer I am still using.
And I have a OEM system builder windows 7 disc I bought that I never used on any computer.

Can I install Windows from one of those discs and use my Windows 7 product key from the sticker?
Or download a windows 7 installer and then use my product key?
Or is there a better way?

I need Windows 7 (not 10) due to hardware and software so I want to set the machine back up exactly how it is now except with a fresh install of everything.
I bought the PC from Cyberpower PC back in 2013 and it may or may not have come with a Windows 7 Disc. I don't know for sure.

use the OEM system builder one you have if it's Pro and 64bit and you have the key for that one.

it's been so long since I messed with it, but I believe OEM and Retail media are key specific, you need a retail key if you use retail media and same for OEM, or maybe that was just for Windows XP.
I have just been using my technet keys with the media I downloaded when I had Technet back in 2009.

Don´t use any of them. Use media creation tool from MS to get a newer ISO for the reinstallation. This way you don´t have to deal with service packs that much. Download and put it on a USB stick:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
Use the key that is on the sticker. :)
Thank you I was excited and tried it but here is what happened on the Microsoft site when I entered the Product Key for verification required prior to download:

Error​

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

Thank you I was excited and tried it but here is what happened on the Microsoft site when I entered the Product Key for verification required prior to download:

Error​

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.
I tried my Technet keys and OEM keys and I got the same error.
I did use the key from my retail Windows 7 Ultimate and that worked.

I do not have a retail windows 7 install disc. I tried to buy one a while back but couldn't find any so I bought another OEM system builder dvd, which is actually what the other Dvd is that I installed on another PC many years ago. So all my product keys I have are apparently OEM system builders. I have one OEM dvd that has already been installed and in use on another machine and one OEM dvd that is still new in the package.
Is there no way from my still functional windows 7 PC to make a bootable windows install dvd from it since I plan to re-install it on the exact same computer again?

Can I reinstall using my unused or already used OEM dvds and once windows installs go to change product key and enter in my original product key off the sticker on my computer? Would that work? Seems like that woudl result in the same windows product key being on the computer unless I do not understand

Can I reinstall using my unused or already used OEM dvds and once windows installs go to change product key and enter in my original product key off the sticker on my computer? Would that work? Seems like that woudl result in the same windows product key being on the computer unless I do not understand
Depends on the OEM disc. Should work if its generic OEM DVD (had some issues with Dell spesific ones) and you can then install without using a key (make sure you use the correct windows version (home/ultimate etc) and enter the key afterwards from the sticker. Worst case is that it wont activate and you need to phone activate it afterwards. MS is not difficult when it comes to this, so just explain the situation and they will help you activate windows:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html

Depends on the OEM disc. Should work if its generic OEM DVD (had some issues with Dell spesific ones) and you can then install without using a key (make sure you use the correct windows version (home/ultimate etc) and enter the key afterwards from the sticker. Worst case is that it wont activate and you need to phone activate it afterwards. MS is not difficult when it comes to this, so just explain the situation and they will help you activate windows:
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18715-activate-windows-7-phone.html
Thank you. Sounds like this is the way I will have to go. My OEM disk is generic not company specific so I will install without entering the key and then after installation enter my old key from the sticker on my computer case

Thank you. Sounds like this is the way I will have to go. My OEM disk is generic not company specific so I will install without entering the key and then after installation enter my old key from the sticker on my computer case
Just enter the key you want to use during install. Windows 7 doesn't have any keys saved to the disk or linked to BIOS \ UEFI. As long as you aren't using a reseller specific restore disk you shouldn't have any trouble.

Just enter the key you want to use during install. Windows 7 doesn't have any keys saved to the disk or linked to BIOS \ UEFI. As long as you aren't using a reseller specific restore disk you shouldn't have any trouble.
Ahhh good to hear. I didn't know that. Thank you

Just FYI the last official ISO from Microsoft is the SP1 one from what.. 2010? 2011? There was never a newer official ISO. There was some sort of 'unreleased' 2016ish set of ISOs but I never saw them made available to the general populace.

Could and should work as long as the OEM is generic (since they don´t have the OEM SLP and is basically the same as retail). I´ve had install media which refused the key during install and got activated after install, so this workaround covered all bases in case he ran into issues and had other media then we know. MS would help activate it regardless. As long as Windows version and key matches (win home + win home key/ultimate + ultimate key), it doesn´t matter if its OEM or not.

Back