Help Please with Finalising My Order: Ncase M1, 3080 Deshrouded, 5900x, Silent Noctua Build

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Case:
Ncase M1 (Side Mesh Panels)

CPU:

5900x

GPU:
3080 EVGA XC3

Motherboard:
Asus Rog Strix X570-I

SILENT COOLING (Help Please):
I like Noctua so I am thinking:
GPU:
2 x NF-A12x25 for the deshroud gpu (intake?)

CPU:
NH-U95 with an extra fan (intake) for cpu

Any other fans needed if there are mesh sides?

Ram:

Corsair Vengenance LPX 2 x 32G DDR4 3200

SSD:
1TB Samsung 980 Pro m.2 pcie4
2TB Samsung 970 Evo m.2

Power Supply:
Corsair SF750

Cables:
I haven't built a computer in 6 years lol. Do I need any other cables for this build other than what comes with the components above?

Thank you all very much for all the help. Advice on components and especially the cooling/deshroud end of things is greatly appreciated.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WmQ7RT

Last edited:
I would go for the SF750 Platinum PSU. Whilst the SF600 should be fine the 750W unit is only a little more (especially considering what you are looking at spending already) and will mean it stays in its silent running mode more often.

I personally wouldn't deshroud the GPU. People like Optimum Tech haven't seen the gains to make this as worth while as previously. Just go with the Noctua NF-A12x15 fans and avoid all that hassle for little gain. (Also I saw in another post you mentioned using these as exhaust. The NCase has been shown to work best with all fans as intake except perhaps a 92mm rear exhaust).

I am not sure how the NH-U9S will handle the 12 core 5900x, but if the 105W TDP is reliable at load then it should be OK. An alternative option would be to go with a 240mm AIO.

It would be worth watching some YT videos on how RYZEN 5XXX handles with different RAM speeds. Previous RYZEN series have preferred faster RAM, so perhaps getting some 3600 RAM might be beneficial. I won't question the decision on gettting 64GB as I do not know your use case and RAM is very cheap right now. However, unless you are doing editing of some kind then this would be a poor use of your money.

If you are looking to save money, then those NVMe drives are very expensive and unless you really need the extra speed, then the Samsung 970 evo plus or the Corsair MP400 drives are half more than half the price and you see no difference in real world use outside of very specific tasks. But if you use programs that react to this or you need the added reliability (and the Evo for example is already super reliable) then you would propably already know that these are what you need. If your use case is home editing, gaming, internet browing etc then there is no need for these drives and you are throwing away money for zero noticable gain. In fact for the same price or less, you could get double the storage instead.

I would use the money saved to get some custom cables to tidy up the internals and aid airflow (I have heard good things abdout pslatecustoms Ncase cables).

Last edited:
I would go for the SF750 Platinum PSU. Whilst the SF600 should be fine the 750W unit is only a little more (especially considering what you are looking at spending already) and will mean it stays in its silent running mode more often.

I personally wouldn't deshroud the GPU. People like Optimum Tech haven't seen the gains to make this as worth while as previously. Just go with the Noctua NF-A12x15 fans and avoid all that hassle for little gain.

I am not sure how the NH-U9S will handle the 12 core 5900x, but if the 105W TDP is realiable at load then it should be OK. An alternative option would be to go with a 240mm AIO.

It would be worth watching some YT videos on how RYZEN 5XXX handle with different RAM speeds. Previous RYZEN series have preferred faster RAM, so perhaps getting some 3600 RAM might be beneficial. I won't question the decision on gettting 64GB as I do not know your use case and RAM is very cheap right now. However, unless you are doing editing of some kind then this would be a poor use of your money.

If you are looking to save money, then those NVMe drives are very expensive and unless you really need the extra speed, then the Samsung 970 evo plus or the Corsair MP400 drives are half more than half the price and you see no difference in real world use outside of very specific tasks. But if you use programs that react to this or you need the added reliability (and the Evo for example is already super reliable) then you would propably already know that these are what you need. If your use case is home editing, gaming, internet browing etc then there is no need for these drives and you are throwing away money for zero noticable gain. In fact for the same price or less, you could get double the storage instead.

I would use the money saved to get some custom cables to tidy up the internals and aid airflow (I have heard good things abdout pslatecustoms Ncase cables).
Thank you for the thoughtful and helpful response.

My thinking for the deshroud was to eliminate noise rather than better thermals. Do you think it would achieve better sound levels?

I can't find the sf750 for some reason. Can you explain why it is more quiet than the sf600?

I will look into the RAM as suggested

Regarding the SSDs I am looking for instant boot up, quick game load times, quickly locating emails in outlook and overall quick, solid performance. If I am wasting money for this usage then I will scale down.

Thank you for all the help.

What is your use case?

Low temps mean less noise as you can lower the fan RPMs and keep temps under control still.

I am not in the US (you are, yes?). I have read that a few people have had difficuty getting the SF750 recently. Not sure why. The reason it may be quieter is that the PSU is semi fanless. The fan comes on at a certain wattage. For the SF600 this is 240W and the SF750 it is 300W. It then ramps up as more wattage is needed. This scales with noise. I have attached 2 images that show the wattage/noise curve for each. The SF750 would therefore be fanless for more time and also quieter at the same wattage as the wattage increases.

I am not sure how easy the deshroud on the EVGA XC3 is. Some deshrouds on 3080 models have been shown to be irreversible. That's lot of cash to risk on having poor resale value.

As for the SSDs, if this is what you are aiming for then with those drives you will see exactly zero difference in real world usage. I mean the difference between SATA and NVME is not exatly ground breaking in the real world. I only have NVME in my Ncase to cut down on cabling mostly (I have 2 x 960 GB Corsair MP510, I think they are) and speed is not an issue at all. Everything is instant and if I were to "upgrade" to what your original post suggested, I am certain I would not be able to tell the difference. My bank account would though.

If gaming is the most taxing thing you are going to do with your PC then 16 GB of RAM is more than enough. As is it cheap though 32GB would perhaps future proof you, but 64GB would be absolutely wasted.

Attachments

• SF600.jpg
    SF600.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SF750.jpg
    SF750.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What is your use case?

Low temps mean less noise as you can lower the fan RPMs and keep temps under control still.

I am not in the US (you are, yes?). I have read that a few people have had difficuty getting the SF750 recently. Not sure why. The reason it may be quieter is that the PSU is semi fanless. The fan comes on at a certain wattage. For the SF600 this is 240W and the SF750 it is 300W. It then ramps up as more wattage is needed. This scales with noise. I have attached 2 images that show the wattage/noise curve for each. The SF750 would therefore be fanless for more time and also quieter at the same wattage as the wattage increases.

I am not sure how easy the deshroud on the EVGA XC3 is. SOme deshrouds on 3080 models have been shown to be irreversible. That's lot of cash to risk on having poor resale value.

As for the SSDs, if this is what you are aiming for then with those drives you will see exactly zero difference in real world usage. I mean the difference between SATAand NVME is not exatly ground breaking in the real world. I only have NVME in my Ncase to cut down on cabling mostly (I have 2 x 960 GB Corsair MP400) and speed is not an issue at all. Everything is instant and if I were to "upgrade" to what your original post suggested, I am certain I would not be able to tell the difference. My bank account would though.

If gaming is the most taxing thing you are going to do with your PC then 16 GB or RAM is more than enough. As is it cheap though 32GB would perhaps future proof you, but 64GB would be absolutely wasted.
I am in London, UK. The 750 is sold out everywhere.

My use case is gaming (mostly fps and AAA titles when they come out) and Microsoft Office based work (multi window excel, huge volume of emails and searching through them, etc). I occasionally edit 4k drone and GoPro footage but not that often.

Noted on the drives. Is there a specific one you would recommend?

Thanks.

Oh, you are just up the road from me in East Sussex then.

I am looking to build something similar. I have the V6.1 in a box upstairs, just waiting for 3080 (or whatever AMD offerings may be comparable) and the 5900x to come back in stock.

The 64GB woud help when editing 4k footage, the question is, considering how often you do it, is the investment worth it? Or would 32 suffice? 64gb, or indeed 32gb would make no difference in games and is unlikely to in te foreseeable future. I am going for 32GB in my build as RAM is cheap right now and I do some sketchup stuff every now and then which can eat up a bit of RAM.

I have Corsair MP510 I think they are and they have been great. If I were to do it again, I would have bought one bigger drive as games really add up and I do not like loading time waits in RPG games I play so I want them on my SSDs, and I only have NVMe drives to cut down on the cabling. If I can afford it I may get the Samsung EVO 970 Plus, although it is around £30 more for no performance gain. There is the non-plus version which is £30 cheaper, again for no probable noticeable gain. The Samsungs EVO Plus' do have slightly better IOPS numbers though (suggesting better reliability). So for me, I think I will get a 1TB 970 EVO plus and also a 2tb Samsung EVO Plus (currently on offer at Scan so I may get that now).

Scan have the SF750 as due in on 8th December. May be worth gettting in the preorder queue for that if you want it (wow its price has gone up a bit hasn't it, was about £125 last I looked). CCL have it in stock it seems though.

I am just wondering what monitor you are using too. You are looking at building a beefy rig here and seem to have the cash for it. What is it driving? May eb saved cash can be used for an uprade there. I currently have a Dell U3818DW but I think I am going to add a Dell S3220dfg on the side for use in things like older games and FPSs. Unless I find a cheap AW3418DW (I know it is the older model but I do not like the styling of the new one and on the old one you can change the stand to a less gamery one from the U3418DW).

Last edited:
Oh, you are just up the road from me in East Sussex then.

I am looking to build something similar. I have the V6.1 in a box upstairs, just waiting for 3080 (or whatever AMD offerings may be comparable) and the 5900x to come back in stock.

The 64GB woud help when editing 4k footage, the question is, considering how often you do it, is the investment worth it? Or would 32 suffice? 64gb, or indeed 32gb would make no difference in games and is unlikely to in te foreseeable future. I am going for 32GB in my build as RAM is cheap right now and I do some sketchup stuff every now and then which can eat up a bit of RAM.

I have Corsair MP510 I think they are and they have been great. If I were to do it again, I would have bought one bigger drive as games really add up and I do not like loading time waits in RPG games I play so I want them on my SSDs, and I only have NVMe drives to cut down on the cabling. If I can afford it I may get the Samsung EVO 970 Plus, although it is around £30 more for no performance gain. There is the non-plus version which is £30 cheaper, again for no probable noticeable gain. The Samsungs EVO Plus' do have slightly better IOPS numbers though (suggesting better reliability). So for me, I think I will get a 1TB 970 EVO plus and also a 2tb Samsung EVO Plus (currently on offer at Scan so I may get that now).

Scan have the SF750 as due in on 8th December. May be worth gettting in the preorder queue for that if you want it (wow its price has gone up a bit hasn't it, was about £125 last I looked). CCL have it in stock it seems though.

I am just wondering what monitor you are using too. You are looking at building a beefy rig here and seem to have the cash for it. What is it driving? May eb saved cash can be used for an uprade there. I currently have a Dell U3818DW but I think I am going to add a Dell S3220dfg on the side for use in things like older games and FPSs. Unless I find a cheap AW3418DW (I know it is the older model but I do not like the styling of the new one and on the old one you can change the stand to a less gamery one from the U3418DW).
Hi Neighbour,
I can help you bag a 3080 at retail. Message me.

I am going for a LG 48 CX if I am able to wall mount it. I hope.

I managed to find a sf750 and went for it.

The ram was £235 which didn't seem to bad.

The Samsung evo 2tb on scan is £307 vs around £210 for the 1tb pro. I think I may upgrade.

Oh just found the 2tb 970 evo on ebuyer for £289 delivered.

I will update my opening post with specs

Last edited:
You will appreciate 2TB far more then 1Tb after a few months. Be careful to note the difference between the EVO and the EVO Plus though. The Plus is faster and more reliable (greater IOPS numbers).

That's not a bad price for RAM if you are going to use it and have the cash for it. I read about this today and may sell what I have to upgrade when it is released over here: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/ali...1dw/apd/210-axvg/monitors-monitor-accessories. Not sure what that TV is like for gaming and 4K is still difficult to run, especially at 120 FPS. If you do get it, would love to hear your experience with it.

A couple of questions so I will just list them off:

Where did you fidn the SF750?

How can you get 3080s? My preference is either EVGA or FE (but FE cards seem no existant now) due to being 2/2.2 slots respectively so I can put some fans under it.

You will appreciate 2TB far more then 1Tb after a few months. Be careful to note the difference between the EVO and the EVO Plus though. The Plus is faster and more reliable (greater IOPS numbers).

That's not a bad price for RAM if you are going to use it and have the cash for it. I read about this today and may sell what I have to upgrade when it is released over here: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/ali...1dw/apd/210-axvg/monitors-monitor-accessories. Not sure what that TV is like for gaming and 4K is still difficult to run, especially at 120 FPS. If you do get it, would love to hear your experience with it.

How can you get 3080s? My preference is either EVGA or FE (but FE cards seem no existant now) due to being 2/2.2 slots respectively so I can put some fans under it.

Thanks and noted on the Evo and evo plus.

The CX 48 is a lovely TV/monitor and its oled. It is gsync, fast response with a good refresh and has 4x usb2.1 ports. The only negative is 48 is very big and you need to sit 36 to 40inches away from it. Price point is good too considering its specs and size.

CCL computers has the sf750

I just bagged the XC3 3080 which is a 2.2 slot. Message me and I will help you out.

Yeah, they had it in stock yesterday as I think I noted. I am not buying everything until I know what AMD's offering look like and how they will affect pricing, but thank you.

Hi again,

As you are also in the UK, thought I would let you know that the Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 drives are cheap on Amazon at the moment, especially the 1TB.

I wouldn't use the NCase for a Silent build dissipating over 400w of power, but if you don't mind over 30 dB, it will be acceptable.

The NCase's optimal power-dissapation is closer to 250w (even with a Noctua tower, and watercoollor for the video card)

https://silentpcreview.com/quiet-mini-itx-gaming-build-guide-2-ncase-m1-edition/
Bear in mind that's a review of the first version of the case. There've been significant changes since then, notably the expansion of the ventilated area of the side panels, which improves GPU and overall system cooling.

Back