Help please - Dead Mobo? (And if so, what to do with an AMD fx8350 and 1060 6GB)

Wolfsbane2k

Limp Gawd
Hi All..

Way back in 2014 I spec'd up a machine for a friend (https://hardforum.com/threads/new-build-query-unreal-4-engine-dev-machine.1830024/#post-1041227686) , sadly things have slowly died and we're in a position that the Mobo appears to have died.

CPU: AMD FX8350
GPU: Nvidia 1060 GTX
16GB DDR3 RAM
Mobo : Gigabyte 970A-D3SP Rev 1.0 (AMD 970 + SB950 Chipset)
PSU - ENermax 600W

It turned back up on my doorstep a few weeks ago, failing to post. It was pretty clogged with dust, but not massively so.

I've breadboarded it, and barebones ( mobo and CPU only) the machine will, 30 seconds after power on, audibly flag a "low CPU speed warning" beeping, but that's pretty much it.
I've stuck a Phenom II X720 in it (without memory) and it won't post at all; sadly i don't have any other AM3 chips to hand.

I'm assuming, at this point in time the Mobo is toast, and trying to work out how to get something back up and running again, and indeed, if it's even worth it.

The owner was content that it was fast enough for him, so i don't really want to recommend the cost of a full upgrade, but with second hand AM3+ motherboards still going for £75 on ebay, i'm not sure it's really good "bang for buck" given the age.
I also get the feeling that any modern CPU will be so hamstrung by that 1060 (even more than the FX-8350 was) so it's almost an "all or nothing" gut and replace... which, given the 7 year old nature of the PC, isn't that much of a surpise.

Any thoughts welcome...

since you have it out, check the back side of the mobo around the vrm area to see if there is any discoloring in the pcb. ive seen board died from the vrm being over-worked, including my own, and thats the sign. id also try replacing the cmos battery, just in case. its old enough that it could be dead and wiggin out the bios.
also, a 1060 would be hamstrung unless you jammed in is a high end system. an R5 or I5 would be fine.

Hi All..

Way back in 2014 I spec'd up a machine for a friend (https://hardforum.com/threads/new-build-query-unreal-4-engine-dev-machine.1830024/#post-1041227686) , sadly things have slowly died and we're in a position that the Mobo appears to have died.

CPU: AMD FX8350
GPU: Nvidia 1060 GTX
16GB DDR3 RAM
Mobo : Gigabyte 970A-D3SP Rev 1.0 (AMD 970 + SB950 Chipset)
PSU - ENermax 600W

It turned back up on my doorstep a few weeks ago, failing to post. It was pretty clogged with dust, but not massively so.

I've breadboarded it, and barebones ( mobo and CPU only) the machine will, 30 seconds after power on, audibly flag a "low CPU speed warning" beeping, but that's pretty much it.
I've stuck a Phenom II X720 in it (without memory) and it won't post at all; sadly i don't have any other AM3 chips to hand.

I'm assuming, at this point in time the Mobo is toast, and trying to work out how to get something back up and running again, and indeed, if it's even worth it.

The owner was content that it was fast enough for him, so i don't really want to recommend the cost of a full upgrade, but with second hand AM3+ motherboards still going for £75 on ebay, i'm not sure it's really good "bang for buck" given the age.
I also get the feeling that any modern CPU will be so hamstrung by that 1060 (even more than the FX-8350 was) so it's almost an "all or nothing" gut and replace... which, given the 7 year old nature of the PC, isn't that much of a surpise.

Any thoughts welcome...

Decent quality x370 AM4 boards can be had for next-to-nothing. Ryzen 1000 & 2000 CPUs are plentiful and very inexpensive (and 2000 series CPUs are even fully compatible with Windows 11 if that is a concern), and DDR4 RAM is one of the few new computer components that seems readily available at a good price. Anything you build in this configuration will make much better use of that 1060 that you already have.

Heck, on the FS forum here at the [H] right now some guy is selling an AMD 3900X 12 Core 25 Thread CPU, mainboard AND RAM for $400 and that is still a very modern and powerful system.

You're in the UK?

I have some old am3 mobos I'd give ya, but shipping from US to UK may be stupid.

since you have it out, check the back side of the mobo around the vrm area to see if there is any discoloring in the pcb. ive seen board died from the vrm being over-worked, including my own, and thats the sign. id also try replacing the cmos battery, just in case. its old enough that it could be dead and wiggin out the bios.
also, a 1060 would be hamstrung unless you jammed in is a high end system. an R5 or I5 would be fine.
You know what, I took the CMOS battery out and left it for a while to ensure that the settings hadn't borked, but i'd not thought to actually test the battery when i put it back in (I'd assumed i'd get a Low CMOS battery warning). Will do that this evening.

I've been over the front and back of the board with a magnifing glass looking for blown caps etc and can't find anything wrong, which is why i'm scrabbling around for ideas and want to double test the CPU. Will have another look though in better light though for sanity.

Ta

Decent quality x370 AM4 boards can be had for next-to-nothing. Ryzen 1000 & 2000 CPUs are plentiful and very inexpensive (and 2000 series CPUs are even fully compatible with Windows 11 if that is a concern), and DDR4 RAM is one of the few new computer components that seems readily available at a good price. Anything you build in this configuration will make much better use of that 1060 that you already have.

Heck, on the FS forum here at the [H] right now some guy is selling an AMD 3900X 12 Core 25 Thread CPU, mainboard AND RAM for $400 and that is still a very modern and powerful system.
Yeah, the jump to AM4 comes with the cost of DDR4 as well; we're toying with the idea of trying to minimize costs entirely (~£40 for a 2nd hand board) and keep the system going for a few more years, or getting a small loan out for something like that set up.

You're in the UK?

I have some old am3 mobos I'd give ya, but shipping from US to UK may be stupid.
Yep, in the UK, but thank you very much for the offer! Scrabbling around the skips at the local recycling centre for a bit may be in order ;)

Back