Help! New Z690 Build - No Post / video output

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
I'm in need of some assistance.

I put together my new build with Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, 12900k, 32GB XPG Lancer DDR5 5200, XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB nvme (carried over 3080ti, power supply, hdd etc).
Everything booted up initially but I only got display output to get into the bios with the integrated graphics. Once in the bios it wasn't detecting my nvme. I was on the F2 bios so I decided to flash the F6b bios and then it wouldn't post on integrated or with my 3080ti. I was getting an "ad" code on the motherboard. I tried a different m.2, unplugging my sata drives, clearing the CMOS etc. Nothing worked.

Flash forward, I went to microcenter and picked up the Z690 ROG Hero. Got that all hooked up and it wouldn't post or provide any video output on the integrated graphics or the 3080ti. I tried both single sticks of RAM, clearing CMOS. I was getting either a "d6" code or "99" code on the motherboard.

I put my old x299 rig back together to make sure my 3080ti or power supply wasn't the issue and everything is working fine. I played some BF2042 and no issues so that ruled out my power supply and GPU.

I'm totally stumped. The memory was supposedly on the Gigabyte compatibility list but it wasn't for the Asus but didn't realize that until after. Do you think this is a memory issue or possibly a bad CPU?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

CPU seems most likely at this point, see if you can get it tested somewhere.

Probably CPU as Denpepe pointed out. You can also check the manuals for both boards and see what those error codes mean.

Also when you fix your issues I'm really curious to hear your impressions and/or numbers from the CPU upgrade.

Probably the CPU socket on the mainboard, CPU's almost never break down. Can't believe that is the case here.

Probably the CPU socket on the mainboard, CPU's almost never break down. Can't believe that is the case here.
But I tried 2 different motherboards will similar results so doesn't seem like a socket issue.

That's what I tought until my 7820X croaked.

more on topic, you would always try to reseat the CPU and make sure it is not overtightened. I seen a couple of Greg Salazar's repair vids where there were issues with the CPU recently.

That's what I tought until my 7820X croaked.

more on topic, you would always try to reseat the CPU and make sure it is not overtightened. I seen a couple of Greg Salazar's repair vids where there were issues with the CPU recently.
Issues from being overtightened? Or issues in general?

Issues from being overtightened? Or issues in general?
Iirc they were both AMD systems, but one of them booted correctly after reseating the CPU while it is hard to know the exact issue his guess was the cooler might have been overtightened.

If you warp the socket you get bad contact and it will not work cioorrectly or at all, still I would try to get the CPU checked to make sure it is in working order.

But I tried 2 different motherboards will similar results so doesn't seem like a socket issue.
Sorry, didn't register here, then it should be the CPU. It happens very, very rarely, but seems you "won" the lottery on this one... Good thing you have warranty.

Quick update,

I did a bios reflash without any hardware installed (CPU, memory, GPU) and then I pulled the CMOS battery and held the clear CMOS button for a good minute then installed everything and it booted up to the bios screen. What a relief! Just needed a proper CMOS reset.

I'm in need of some assistance.

I put together my new build with Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master, 12900k, 32GB XPG Lancer DDR5 5200, XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB nvme (carried over 3080ti, power supply, hdd etc).
Everything booted up initially but I only got display output to get into the bios with the integrated graphics. Once in the bios it wasn't detecting my nvme. I was on the F2 bios so I decided to flash the F6b bios and then it wouldn't post on integrated or with my 3080ti. I was getting an "ad" code on the motherboard. I tried a different m.2, unplugging my sata drives, clearing the CMOS etc. Nothing worked.

Flash forward, I went to microcenter and picked up the Z690 ROG Hero. Got that all hooked up and it wouldn't post or provide any video output on the integrated graphics or the 3080ti. I tried both single sticks of RAM, clearing CMOS. I was getting either a "d6" code or "99" code on the motherboard.

I put my old x299 rig back together to make sure my 3080ti or power supply wasn't the issue and everything is working fine. I played some BF2042 and no issues so that ruled out my power supply and GPU.

I'm totally stumped. The memory was supposedly on the Gigabyte compatibility list but it wasn't for the Asus but didn't realize that until after. Do you think this is a memory issue or possibly a bad CPU?

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!
1. be absolutely sure you are actually and correctly clearing the CMOs. If its jumper pins, you gotta be certain you are getting good contact between the pins, for like 10 seconds. If its a button, read the manual and see if you simply press it or if you need to hold it. Personally, when faced with issues like this, I would take the CMOS battery out for tens of seconds. Just to be certain.

2. try booting with minimal hardware. 1 stick of ram. no GPU. no NVME or other hard drives, etc. Just CPU and RAM.

3. if you can get into the bios, try loading the bios defaults. Sometimes loading the defaults for your current bios version leads to different (successful) results, Vs. factory/optimized defaults or clearing CMOS.

good luck. computers are a PITA >_>

P.S. I've seen lots of reports that many Z690 motherboards shipped with pre-release bios. The issue of it not detecting your NVME drives is common and is usually resolved by updating the bios. Most brands should have at least 2 bios versions up on their websites, by now.

Glad to read your issues are resolved. So, no buying a lottery ticket after all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back